Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day tripper's experience of Limerick

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

knipex wrote: »
    Actually there are parts of Limerick city that are quite beautiful. Its full of little lanes and corners that constantly surprise.

Yes there are lots of alcoves near the park. You use this word, alcoves? It's kind of like nooks and crannies. Perhaps this would be more accurate?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes there are lots of alcoves near the park. You use this word, alcoves? It's kind of like nooks and crannies. Perhaps this would be more accurate?

It's a f*ckin' fairytale, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP - IMO People should welcome an outsiders frank and honest views of Limerick City and hope for changes and improvements to be made.

Certainly attacking the person bringing the message is ultimately self-defeating.

PS I enjoy multicultural Irish life....Not least of all and in the most shallow way possible, some of the women are incredible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I lived in limerick for 2 years ....amazing place, loved every second

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP - IMO People should welcome an outsiders frank and honest views of Limerick City and hope for changes and improvements to be made.

Certainly attacking the person bringing the message is ultimately self-defeating.

PS I enjoy multicultural Irish life....Not least of all and in the most shallow way possible, some of the women are incredible...

Again, nobody is blind to Limericks deficiencies, but if you coat those observations with insults, then you're going to be taken to task.

People who are not from Limerick, but have actually spent a bit of time here, have also posted on this thread disagreeing with a lot of what the OP said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Again, nobody is blind to Limericks deficiencies, but if you coat those observations with insults, then you're going to be taken to task.

People who are not from Limerick, but have actually spent a bit of time here, have also posted on this thread disagreeing with a lot of what the OP said.

Taken to task? As I said somewhere I enjoy a debate and do not consider I have been taken to task at all. I expect proud locals to defend their locality. I expect nothing else. I welcome it. If somebody criticised my locality I would engage also. If someone attacked my accent I think that's fair game. No accent is perfect. I have no problem someone saying that because maybe it is!

Could you list the insults that you say my observations were coated in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Deleted. Incomplete post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Limerick fan here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bobbyss wrote: »
    Taken to task? As I said somewhere I enjoy a debate and do not consider I have been taken to task at all. I expect proud locals to defend their locality. I expect nothing else. I welcome it. If somebody criticised my locality I would engage also. If someone attacked my accent I think that's fair game. No accent is perfect. I have no problem someone saying that because maybe it is!

Could you list the insults that you say my observations were coated in?

Here's a proposition based on an observation I've made: you're boring. Debate and defend that.

You came on here making slights against a city, mocking the accent and making poorly observed negative comments about the place. Don't get surprised when you don't get a ticker-tape parade.

Limerick, or any other city, doesn't exist for the pleasure of snarky day-trippers to make fun of it. It's a place where we live, work, invest in and try to make better every day. We are not a debate.

Go to the Cork city forum or the Waterford city forum and make a post like you did couched in the same language. You'll get the same reception.

As a fan of limerick city one does expect a certain amount of what cork or Dublin might call "rough as a badgers arse" it's part of limerick...its my favourite city and the rough and the smooth are what make it...

Also the taxi drivers used to proudly bring outsiders for a tour of the old trouble areas and I enjoyed that to be honest

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

bobbyss wrote: »
    Took bus to Limerick. Spent half a day there.
    Bus / Train Station: I felt I had to wash myself in hot water when I left. Absolutely filthy. Old. Unkempt. The last time I was there it was exactly the same. Must be a depressing place to work in. Why don't they clean/ fumigate it.

Some fine looking buildings. Opposite the train station was the Railway Hotel. Fine building but I think closed and looking dirty and filthy.

Huge empty space outside the station. What's going on there? Seemed like a waste and all concrete.
    Lots of foreigners around.
    Overall impression was a shabby place.
    The people in the shops were very friendly and warm.

That accent! I thought Cork was bad but Limerick seems to be some kind of cross of Cork and the even worse Kerry.

That place outside Arthur's Quay. Was it a tourist office? Now empty and falling apart. Shabby. Noticed a few characters lazing about in the adjacent park.

Third biggest city in the country should offer more.

It's a long time since I've commented on Boards but I had to reset my password to reply to this and your other following comments on Limerick. I'm not going to pick them out one by one but I get the gist of your snobbery and ignorance, so hopefully I'll give you some of the conversation that you seem to want.

I don't know if I count as someone from Limerick or not but I moved here in 1998 from Clare. In around 2006 I moved to Galway for 5 years, then down to Cork for a year and a half, back up to Galway for a year and a half and then back down to west Cork for 2 years. I'm back in Limerick now for a few years and have finally settled in my chosen career. So you can say I have some experience of Galway, Cork and Limerick Cities to compare.

Firstly, I agree with other posters that your comment on the abundance of foreigners seems xenophobic and not as you tried to portray it, as a comment on the Cosmopolitan nature of the city.

Your limited observations on the city have already been documented in detail so I won't go into what's right or wrong in them. But I will say that Limerick is not only a city that is beautiful, it also has a genuine, reserved warm heart at its core that no one ever experiences unless they get to know the city and its people.

I don't think you're really comparing Limerick to anywhere but Galway so I'll use some comparisons to help you understand what you've missed. You never experience the same kind of heart in Galway because Galway people are jaded. They're jaded from smiling at foreigners and selling their city and their hearts to those that aren't from there, tourists, hippies and students. The vibrancy there is driven by Galway people, but sustained by the very interlopers that Galway people embrace with one hand while simultaneously looking down their noses at. You're no one in Galway if you're not from Galway. We don't have that in Limerick. There's a pride in being from Limerick but not the same one that makes you better than everyone else in Galway. It's a pride from having unrelated family, neighbours, go through tough times together. A pride from accepting people so long as they are nice to you. Galway City is like the person who sleeps with multiple partners a week and thinks they have a great sex life, in comparison to the loving couple who are together 20 years and have loving sex twice a month (Lerick obviously).

Galway City is a great place to go to college, or work part time and I do have many Galway friends from various places in and around Galway. But it's not a homey city like Limerick is. It doesn't have the same comfortable balance of work life and home life that Limerick has. I can get to work across the city in Limerick in 15 minutes. I used to live on Lough Atalia Road in Galway and I don't need to say more on that.

As I said, I don't think you're really comparing Limerick to anywhere but Galway, and that comparison is flawed because Galway is a shallow and insincere city. Because you are from Galway that's all you really know. You didn't get and wouldnt understand the depth and sincerity of Limerick. Which of course is only your loss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yurt! wrote: »
    That's the spirit!

Limerick - Suggested serving:

Gather 4-5 of your most trusted and craicworthy mates, chowder and a feed of porter at the Currogower overlooking the Shannon on a sunny day. A wander down to Thomond Park to watch a middling professional rugby outfit squeeze out a win in a beautiful world-famous rugby stadium. Back into town for a few more beverages and a match post-mortem in Mickey Martin's / Flannery's (Shannon Street).

A quick detour to Chicken Hut for a superchip then up towards Pery Square with Costello's on your mind; hand Flan a crisp fiver, ask him about the horses and access granted to funkytown. Downstairs for the chats and toasties, upstairs for the same classic setlist since the mid-2000s, including, Ireland's greatest smoking area. A shift off some art-college young wan if you're lucky, but no matter if you don't - Battles is on the sound system, all is well.

I've been to Tokyo, I've been to Paris, but as Lou Reed once might have sang: "It's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it in Limerick."
    I'd swap out chicken hut for the cedar house shish kebab, but otherwise a fine plan for a day

Whoever remembers feathery burkes I'll givem a euro for shot of cheap vodka next time I'm down:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Whoever remembers feathery burkes I'll givem a euro for shot of cheap vodka next time I'm down:)

Bottles of woodys or 'two dogs' alcopops for a quid. What a place that was. Weird outside space, behind the main building/bar... club downstairs was it? It's all a blur now. It only exists in half-memories and flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tommmyhouse

Walked around limerick with my son the other day. Went from the Locke bar to king johns, across the shannon, past the treaty stone and along o'callaghan strand. I've got to say it's one of the nicest urban walks in the country. There are a few homeless drug addicts but it's no different to Dublin. Limerick is one of the most underrated cities in Ireland, it's got a great nightlife and it's full of young people. Traffic isn't a issue and house prices are still reasonable. You can't say that about Dublin. The future is bright for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Pound a pint. Used to go there after work on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Tree wrote: »
    Yurt! wrote: »
    That's the spirit!

Limerick - Suggested serving:

Gather 4-5 of your most trusted and craicworthy mates, chowder and a feed of porter at the Currogower overlooking the Shannon on a sunny day. A wander down to Thomond Park to watch a middling professional rugby outfit squeeze out a win in a beautiful world-famous rugby stadium. Back into town for a few more beverages and a match post-mortem in Mickey Martin's / Flannery's (Shannon Street).

A quick detour to Chicken Hut for a superchip then up towards Pery Square with Costello's on your mind; hand Flan a crisp fiver, ask him about the horses and access granted to funkytown. Downstairs for the chats and toasties, upstairs for the same classic setlist since the mid-2000s, including, Ireland's greatest smoking area. A shift off some art-college young wan if you're lucky, but no matter if you don't - Battles is on the sound system, all is well.

I've been to Tokyo, I've been to Paris, but as Lou Reed once might have sang: "It's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it in Limerick."
    I'd swap out chicken hut for the cedar house shish kebab, but otherwise a fine plan for a day

And I'd swap Costello's for Theatre Royal boogie wonderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

I remember the place well - Feathery was a scrap merchant who died in 1973.. his premises were on the corner of High St and Cornmarket Row..
    at the end of the street in this photo..

https://www.memorylanelimerick.com/p802350600/h12614B9F#h12614b9f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Whoever remembers feathery burkes I'll givem a euro for shot of cheap vodka next time I'm down

Remember getting locked in there while all hell was breaking loose outside. Barstaff kept serving away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

gryff wrote: »
    I remember the place well - Feathery was a scrap merchant who died in 1973.. his premises were on the corner of High St and Cornmarket Row..
    at the end of the street in this photo..

https://www.memorylanelimerick.com/p802350600/h12614B9F#h12614b9f

Originally from West Clare I believe, at the time duck feathers were much sought after for pillows and eiderdowns, its reported he was very wealthy as a result of the feather trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

orm0nd wrote: »
    Originally from West Clare I believe, at the time duck feathers were much sought after for pillows and eiderdowns, its reported he was very wealthy as a result of the feather trade.

Feather pillows and duvets are heaven. If you switch you'll never want to sleep in a plastic bag again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Something should be done about the condition of the toilets in the station.

Advertisement