Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handed in notice, leaving soon - query regarding holiday pay process and entitlements

Options
  • 14-06-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I was lucky enough to recently be offered a great opportunity which I have accepted and will be leaving my current employment after working my notice period.

I have handed in my notice to my manager and all is well, but in the panic of doing so forgot to mention anything about holiday pay and was hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance around my entitlements in relation to same before I go back to her?

I will have 10 days of annual leave out of 25 left when I leave.

Am I entitled to be paid for those 10 days or is there some sort of ratio/calculation that needs to be done to adjust for the fact that I will leaving halfway during the year? If so, what is it?

In addition, does holiday pay get processed automatically on my last payslip or will I have to make the company aware/chase up?

Thanking you.

Kind regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Calculating your annual leave entitlements:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html#l9e2f0

From what you've said it sounds like you've used more holidays than you're allowed in 6 months, so they'll either deduct this from your final wage or just allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hello,

I was lucky enough to recently be offered a great opportunity which I have accepted and will be leaving my current employment after working my notice period.

I have handed in my notice to my manager and all is well, but in the panic of doing so forgot to mention anything about holiday pay and was hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance around my entitlements in relation to same before I go back to her?

I will have 10 days of annual leave out of 25 left when I leave.

Am I entitled to be paid for those 10 days or is there some sort of ratio/calculation that needs to be done to adjust for the fact that I will leaving halfway during the year? If so, what is it?

In addition, does holiday pay get processed automatically on my last payslip or will I have to make the company aware/chase up?

Thanking you.

Kind regards.

You accrue annual leave and public holiday entitlement as the year goes by.
    So if you are leaving on the last day of June you will have accrued approx 10 days annual leave. If you’ve already used these days then they won’t owe you any more days.
    If you’ve used more then 10 and you owe them some time then they will usually take this out of your final paycheck.
    If you are asking if you are entitled to whatever days are left from the original 25 then the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If you leave June 30th, you will have 12.5 days accrued (6 months - half of annual leave entitlement). If you are saying you've already taken 15 days annual leave and you are leaving at the end of June, then you have overtaken 2.5 days. That will typically be deducted from your final salary. If your notice is not until after June, they may pro-rata any remaining overtaking of holidays...or may just write it off if it's negligible.

If your company has a payroll/compensation department, you can send them a mail asking for specifics. Sometimes, HR will engage with you in the final week or weeks to go through your exit considerations (pension/tax saver commuter ticket/health insurance, due holidays or final payroll considerations). If you don't work in a big company, then your manager would have more of an insight in the process. Remember it's ok to ask these type of questions of your manager - they are your supervisor and first port of call for employee related queries - that's what they are there for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

One thing to remember if your work pays for benefit like health insurance they are likely to be paying the provider on a monthly basis so you need to contact the provider yourself to either get your policy transferred to your new employer's payment system or to set up a payment plan directly from your bank account.

Advertisement