Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to remove tap head

Options
  • 14-06-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know how to replace the type of tap head shown in the pictures? After removing the little red coloured plastic piece I was expecting to find a screw head that would allow me to remove the tap head but there isn't a screw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

no pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 orangec75

I know trying to find out how to do that :)

orangec75 wrote: »
    I know trying to find out how to do that :)

post reply button
    scroll down
    Manage attachments
    Browse
    upload

Thanks Cork_exile, but I don't have an option to "manage attachments"....

orangec75 wrote: »
    Thanks Cork_exile, but I don't have an option to "manage attachments"....

Are you using the "Post reply" or "Post Quick Reply" button?

482758.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

New users cant attach photos

Upload it to photobucket or somewhere free and link to it

GreeBo wrote: »
    New users cant attach photos

Upload it to photobucket or somewhere free and link to it

Was thinking such. Will he be able to link it though?

Was thinking such. Will he be able to link it though?

Yeah, just not with a real link

So OP just paste it without the HTTP (i.e. as text)

thanks guys...very restrictive for a new user :(

"You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user."

Here's where I copied up the pictures:
    //imgur.com/a/trXfiAO

https://imgur.com/a/trXfiAO

Is it just one of the taps or the whole thing you want to replace?

If there is no screw then the "knob" part of the tap should just pull off. That will allow you to change the individual valve (make sure you turn off the water supply!)
    If you want to change the whole tap then you need to get out it from below as its screwed through the bath itself.

Restriction is to stop bots posting spam

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot GreeBo! :)

I'm trying to get access to replace the spindle underneath the tap head, so I need to get the whole tap head off. I tried to wrestle a bit with the top part above the gold strip but it doesn't seem to move...I didn't force it though and thought best to get some advice before risking damaging it.

I will try it again this evening but if anyone else has any experience with these particular taps that can confirm how they are removed I would really appreciate it!

If there is no screw in the top then it just lifts off, not above the gold line, the whole section you turn lifts off.

It sits on top of a cartridge like below and is probably just stuck on the teeth of the cartridge (inside of the tap contains effectively a nut that slides over the teeth so that turning the tap opens the valve in the cartridge)

There should usually be some movement so just lift it straight up or prise it off from both sides with a couple of screwdrivers.
    Alternatively give it a little whack to jar it loose.
    41Xc-GB4SeL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Get a pump pliers and just keep turning it clock wise and it will just snap off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If I remember correctly, the bit above the gold band unscrews from the bottom section and the screw is under that, but I might be wrong.
    Failing that, just do as Anthonyos says and get a pump pliers and keep twisting anti clockwise until either the spindle screws out or the handle snaps off.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the bit above the gold band unscrews from the bottom section and the screw is under that, but I might be wrong.

OP this is the most likely

Advertisement