Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecce day length

Options
  • 14-06-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My little man is due to start ecce in September. His creche have announced that their ecce day is 5 hours long. So with only 3 hours a day covered we will have to pay for extra 2 hours a day. Is this the norm across creches, would love any input .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My little man is due to start ecce in September. His creche have announced that their ecce day is 5 hours long. So with only 3 hours a day covered we will have to pay for extra 2 hours a day. Is this the norm across creches, would love any input .

Not for us.. ECCE is 3 hours only. It’s a full day Creche so they open at 8 and close at 6.15 but ECCE is 9-12 5 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

It was the minimum in ours. I enquired about it and it is permissible if they are are a crèche. They do not need to offer ECCE only hours. They can also not offer it st all and just reduce full times attendees fees. I think playschool/ Montessori might differ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It’s not the norm where I am either. A three hour day would be standard here

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s not the norm where I am either. A three hour day would be standard here

Cheers thanks for the replies. Will question the manager on it seems like they could be pushing their luck with the lack of alternatives out there at the moment

Cheers thanks for the replies. Will question the manager on it seems like they could be pushing their luck with the lack of alternatives out there at the moment

As someone else said though, it is permissible, so if you live in an are where places are scarce, it might just be something you have to put up with. It’s crap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you don't want to pay extra could you send him 3 days for 5 hours . That would cover the 15 hours ECCE .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Four hours each day over four days but that's just our school set up and we pay for the extra hour.They don't do a session on the fifth day at all.To be honest, four hours is plenty, they are wrecked by the end of it. Five hours every day for a week is probably not far off Junior Infant hours!!!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you don't want to pay extra could you send him 3 days for 5 hours . That would cover the 15 hours ECCE .

I don’t think the ecce scheme funds any more than 3 hrs per day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t think the ecce scheme funds any more than 3 hrs per day

I may be wrong but I think they fund 15 hours a week . It can be over 5 days or less . Am open to correction on that

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think they fund 15 hours a week . It can be over 5 days or less . Am open to correction on that

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/early_childhood_care_and_education_scheme.html

You are right about the 15 hours a week, but unfortunately it’s over five days. Maybe 4 days @3 hrs 30 min if the preschool doesn’t actually open the fifth day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I’m pretty sure they have to allow you to only do the 3 hours though. They can’t refuse you a place because you won’t do 5 but check with the childcare committee. For what it’s worth I think 5 hours is too long for the kids. Most are wrecked after 3hrs for the first few months.

Advertisement