Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected credit card from AIB?

• 14-06-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I’ve been using my AIB MasterCard Gold since 2002, always renewed promptly no issues etc. The one I have now was renewed earlier this year and will expire on 03/23.

Yesterday I was surprised to see in the post a new credit card from AIB which is a VISA ‘Click’, with a different card number. Also valid until 03/23.

I asked the local branch and they didn’t have much of a clue and told me ‘must be that we don’t use MasterCard anymore’ and that my MasterCard was ‘probably’ deprecated and not working. So we put the MasterCard in the ATM machine and it works perfectly (?). Also on my online banking page all the purchases made in the past months are from this new VISA ‘Click’ even though I didn’t even have the card at the time (??).

So now I have TWO credit cards both expiring on 03/23. What am I supposed to do with the MasterCard? Will I pay 30 euros a year government tax twice? Will it indeed work until 2023? Which one to use?

This change bothers me because there wasn’t any notice and now looks like I have to change credit card number etc. in all my online accounts (eBay, Amazon, Paypal and more).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

You didn't receive any letters or read online messages (via AIB message thingy when you login to online banking), I received a letter in April (card was due to expire end of June, in may a new card arrived and my card was fraudulently used online so a fresh MasterCard has been issued)

haven't received my "click" card yet but in April the letter I received essentially said if I had an issue with it I could pay off the balance before the switch (I think I have about 5-6k on MasterCard so it's not going to be cleared anytime soon)

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Seems there was a letter sent in March, theres a thread about it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=109844938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you've a gold upgrade to the Platinum for the cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hungryhill

I haven't received any letter, and in my 'Messages' when I logged in there was no mention of this.
    Thanks for the link re: AIB letter, I searched before posting but couldn't find anything about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hungryhill wrote: »
    So now I have TWO credit cards both expiring on 03/23. What am I supposed to do with the MasterCard? Will I pay 30 euros a year government tax twice? Will it indeed work until 2023? Which one to use?

You won't pay the Govt. duty twice and I suspect that if you use the new card, the old card will be instantly cancelled. But whether you use the new card or not, the old card will stop working 30 days after they issued the VISA card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement