Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart or head

Options
  • 14-06-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Trying to chose between two houses. One has everything the family needs in terms of space , good area , good garden but I don’t particularly like it ( I don’t dislike it either ).
    The other very close by is very old and needs complete renovation and extension. The garden is beautiful and it’s not overlooked. My heart is definitely in this one . We have spoken to a couple of architects so we’ve a good idea of costs .
    We have 4 children, we hope this to be our last move. The first house makes more sense . The second house has a great feeling.
    Totally torn on this one.
    Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Not being funny but it sounds like you already made your mind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

I genuinely haven’t, I’m normally very decisive but finding this decision extremely hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go for the renovation house if you can afford it, and its big enough for you,
    also a house thats not overlooked might be worth more in the future .
    Its sounds like the house thats in good nick is in a estate and has house,s behind it, or at the side .
    is there any difference in the size of the 2 houses or the gardens ,
    old houses tend to be bigger,
    or have higher ceilings and have thick brick walls than a house thats
    built in the 90,s or the aughties.
    Maybe the old house has a garden with a high wall around it,
    which gives you more privacey.
    you have 4 kids, you will need lots of room,s , lots of space and
    a large garden is useful too.
    you say extension is needed ,
    can you afford an extension plus 20k plus of renovation,
    the old house will probably need rewiring, a new heating system,
    a new kitchen, etc
    Have you the funds to do all this,?
    have you time to manage all the work of organising a large renovation
    project?
    Is the old house in a good area , close to schools, shops ,bustops .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Sorry, I really wasn't being funny. But your own wording gave it away.
    I think you already know. You said your "heart" is in the 2nd one.
    Well thats that then.
    Not many people get such a lovely choice but when they do nobody ever thinks back and says I'm glad I didnt go for the one that my heart was in.
    Your instincts and words point you to the one, just make sure your partner feels the same way.
    And good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go with what you really want and can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Go with head, always.

Home is where the heart is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Heart. I bought with my head a few years ago and should do OK when the time comes to sell. I've come to realise heart is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You buy a house (a permanent house, for yourself) by the feel of it. I had the exact same choice, but slightly spaced out. I offered the asking price on the 'perfect I don't really like it' house and the price did a mad jump of 10k so I didn't pursue it. Then I found the one I wanted - lots of (relatively minor) issues but I liked it. So I mentally thanked whoever had done the 10k jump on the other one, and bought the one that felt right. Go with your gut feeling.

It sounds Like the old house is more private ,close to where you live now,
    it will be a better house if you have the money to fix it, and build an extension .
    the new house is in a good area, maybe in an estate, where its overlooked , .IS the old house semi d, detached , is the modern house,
    semi d, detached , are the house prices similar ,
    if you add on 30k plus for renovation, extension build ?
    IF you go for the old house you,ll need to pay for a survey ,
    a structural survey,
    cost 400 euro approx. This lists all the things that need fixing, the cost of bringing the house to a modern standard, of insulation,
    maybe new water pipes or a water tank may be needed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

House has to be both heart and head. Either can grow but there has to be some basis.

The heart house sounds kind of like the cliche of what people traditionally dream of. Big old house, glorious renovation project, big garden. Are those your dreams though?

Renovation is tough, especially with 4 kids.
    Unless you have the spare cash (+50%) to comfortably do the whole thing to a high standard by outside professionals before you move in, I’d think very long and hard about exactly what living through that renovation will be like. Talk to a few couples and families who’ve done it. Also do you like gardening or do you have the ongoing budget to hire people to do regular maintenance?

I feel like if the heart house was truly your house, you wouldn’t have the hesitation. Sometimes you can look at something amazing and wonderful but realize that it’s totally not appropriate to your skill set and lifestyle.

The head house, I think you need to work out why you don’t like it and work out if that’s solvable or look for what you actually want in another property.

I suspect, absent wads of spare time and cash, that a year down the line with some simple redecor and a tweak or two you’d be perfectly happy in the first house and very grateful that you weren’t knee deep in project managing a renovation while juggling your other responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is the heart house livable in? If so go for it.
    No need to do a full refurb in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would go for the renovation because if you go for the first on the second one will always be on your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hungrypig wrote: »
    One has everything the family needs in terms of space , good area , good garden but I don’t particularly like it ( I don’t dislike it either ).
    The other very close by is very old and needs complete renovation and extension. The garden is beautiful and it’s not overlooked.
    It sounds like it's estate versus not-estate. I'd go for the latter. You don't say how old the kids are, but if the youngest is in their teens, go for the non-estate so that you can relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well put it this way, I had to concede not getting a garage so have now turned the kitchen into my man cave, lighting, tunes and pub lighting and signs ... Happy out

Thank you all for your responses. Apologies for not responding to each post. I really think I should go for the heart one. We just about have the budget to do what needs to be done and that is a bit of a concern as are the logistics. It's an 80-90 year old cottage in a tiny estate with a lovely green in the front. The other is a 1970's semi d, overlooked front and back but a good house in a good estate. Our eldest lad is 11 and has autism and life can be stressful. The cottage is incredibly peaceful and I feel very peaceful in it and I think that's why I love it. Garden very important to me. You've all given me food for thought. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hungrypig wrote: »
    It's an 80-90 year old cottage
    Look at converting the attic, if it's not done so already. At the very least, Staire and put floor boards down; increase storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just be very aware of the cost of renovation and extension. When the tenders came back they were over 50% higher than anticipated. It was also very difficult to get someone to start in the short term. Thankfully we had more than enough set aside, but by the time everything was added in we had massively exceeded our pre-tender budget.

Theres a ware house in dublin, they sell new windows, doors ,bathroom,sinks, tiles, bricks , baths, floorboards ,slates, about half to a third of the normal
    price .
    This can reduce the cost of the extension,
    Also adverts,ie has windows and doors pvc, or metal, very cheap.
    it sounds like the old house will be a more peaceful and private house
    so in the long term its a good investment .

i,ll be building an extension in 2 years time ,ill get some items there .
    i already bought 5 windows pvc and a large metal door with frame ,
    from adverts.ie .
    http://www.macswarehouse.ie

my friend built extension 7 years ago , it cost him 1500 euro for the architects plans
    to submit to the council for planning permission .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sarn wrote: »
    Just be very aware of the cost of renovation and extension. When the tenders came back they were over 50% higher than anticipated. It was also very difficult to get someone to start in the short term. Thankfully we had more than enough set aside, but by the time everything was added in we had massively exceeded our pre-tender budget.

I was going to say this. Certainly helps if you are a bit handy yourself! is it a total gut the place before you move in job, or could you move in and do it up over a reasonable period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Just to echo what sam said. Renovations are incredibly expensive at the moment and hard to get quotes never mind someone to commit to the job! That said I'd still go with the heart if you can make it livable now and then chip away at it over the long term.

We have spoken to a couple of architects. One did the survey on it and I know him well. He tenders and is aware of current costs ( bad time to build ��) , they think the budget is manageable, although we thought we’d get a lot more for it.

Advertisement