Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Green Party got into government are they mad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We clearly move in completely different green party circles, I've a lot of respect for those I know

I have to admit I don't (bar one who I'm not sure is a member anymore), any I met definitely tended to the promotional stunt side of things, like wanting to put a domestic wind turbine in the middle of Dublin because it would 'send the right message'.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure why these discussions always end up back with people going on about buying a new car

Nobody is saying to go out and scrap a car and buy electric. If people are buying new cars then the focus should be more towards electric instead of a combustion engine

The second hand market is also available for electric cars, you dont need to buy brand new. Also it doesn't suit all people.

Cars is one element, lots of other discussion points

Watch the price of used ev’s shoot up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I said already swapping a million diesel cars for a million electric cars is not the answer.

Swapping a million cars and replacing them with public transport if the option.

Exactly, I am in a two-car family (three drivers), one of which is a hybrid, the other a 1-litre job. Ultimately, in the next five years, the smaller car will be sold and not replaced as the public transport options hopefully improve. The hybrid will last until 2030 - I don't believe in changing cars often - and be replaced by an electric if we still need one by then.

Over 35 years, we have only ever bought 6 cars between us, two of them were replaced when the cost of repair was prohibitive, and another was written off after a crash (other driver's fault). During the same time period, I have seen neighbours and friends buy a multiple of that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im asking how realistic is it for you to expect public transport for your 40 mile commute?

To me it's unreasonable to expect public transport to cater for that.
    Though you do say its possible just not on time... can you not get up earlier?
    I'm in a similar situation to the poster you quoted, similar distance from work but I do have a public transport option. To get to work for 9am, I need to leave the house at 6:40 to get a bus for 7am that gets me into the office around 8:45. It's exhausting and I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatively, I could drive it in 45 minutes. I never wanted to drive but I am getting lessons now as the commute is just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

maccored wrote: »
    where did the 10 million for trump come from? whereever that was would be a start. How about the 40 odd percent taxes I end up paying?
    The Trump thing is our security cost for him showing up here.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Trump thing is our security cost for him showing up here.

Did he use an ev?

I'm in a similar situation to the poster you quoted, similar distance from work but I do have a public transport option. To get to work for 9am, I need to leave the house at 6:40 to get a bus for 7am that gets me into the office around 8:45. It's exhausting and I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatively, I could drive it in 45 minutes. I never wanted to drive but I am getting lessons now as the commute is just too much.
    I used to use the bus as an excuse to snooze for an hour and to read on the way home. Even so it wears you down. Can't beat the convenience of the car, though!

Did he use an ev?
    Very doubtful. It was the cost of cordoning off Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Bolded part is tbe problem. Like People Before Profit and Sinn Fein they are a faith based party rather than a fact based one.
    The Green party is probably the least appropriate party in Ireland to apply that label to. Proportionally I'd say you'll find more Green elected reps with science backgrounds than any other party, and probably higher levels of educational attainment as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Watch the price of used ev’s shoot up now.

They already have, I bought a Leaf 2 years ago for my mother. I could sell today at the same price or maybe even a small profit.

• Advertisement

They already have, I bought a Leaf 2 years ago for my mother. I could sell today at the same price or maybe even a small profit.

And they’ll get even more expensive. The Greens have seen to that already. Higher carbon taxes will effect the poor far more than the rich.

And they’ll get even more expensive. The Greens have seen to that already. Higher carbon taxes will effect the poor far more than the rich.

No, when first released the depreciation on electric cars was huge, much more than any other car.

I bought at the stage when depreciation was still high, soon after this started to level out so the car went up in value instead of down. IN reality if you buy a 2012 Leaf now it is around the correct price....

No, when first released the depreciation on electric cars was huge, much more than any other car.

I bought at the stage when depreciation was still high, soon after this started to level out so the car went up in value instead of down. IN reality if you buy a 2012 Leaf now it is around the correct price....

Maybe but watch the prices increase as we’re forced to change as the new laws come in and fuel prices are shoved up.

Maybe but watch the prices increase as we’re forced to change as the new laws come in and fuel prices are shoved up.

I dont think anyone will be forced

What the government has said it that it will equal the tax on petrol and diesel. At the moment diesel is 10c less tax per ltr.

Maybe some of them would reduce one by 5c and increase the other by 5c. Hardly throwing the prices up to force people. The price of diesel and petrol is not massive at the moment

I dont think anyone will be forced

What the government has said it that it will equal the tax on petrol and diesel. At the moment diesel is 10c less tax per ltr.

Maybe some of them would reduce one by 5c and increase the other by 5c. Hardly throwing the prices up to force people. The price of diesel and petrol is not massive at the moment

I think we will be forced to buy ev’s.
    I can’t ever see the price of petrol being reduced to that of diesel either.
    Only one way prices go and that’s up.

I think we will be forced to buy ev’s.
    I can’t ever see the price of petrol being reduced to that of diesel either.
    Only one way prices go and that’s up.

Well if a party had any sense they would say lets meet in the middle and increase diesel by 5c per ltr and reduce petrol by 5c per ltr....

Then its a straight fight

The migration to electric will happen anyway because all providers are moving to electric and combustion will be phased out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,715 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think we will be forced to buy ev’s. I can’t ever see the price of petrol being reduced to that of diesel either. Only one way prices go and that’s up.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    The migration to electric will happen anyway because all providers are moving to electric and combustion will be phased out.

I'd agree with both of these statements

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd agree with both of these statements

Petrol and diesel prices are increasing anyway.....

Nothing to do with tax etc but the price will increase, you would think dropped demand might decrease price but it won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

As I said already swapping a million diesel cars for a million electric cars is not the answer.

Swapping a million cars and replacing them with public transport if the option.

I believe public transport, might not be as you envisage, it could well be a million electric cars but self driving/computer controlled etc, driving only inches from each other at speed, people talked of spending hours for a commute that only takes a quarter of the time in a car.

Why spend billions on infrastructure, railway/tram lines, bus corridors, when a fleet of electric self driving cars could cater for house to work transport.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I believe public transport, might not be as you envisage, it could well be a million electric cars but self driving/computer controlled etc, driving only inches from each other at speed, people talked of spending hours for a commute that only takes a quarter of the time in a car.

Why spend billions on infrastructure, railway/tram lines, bus corridors, when a fleet of electric self driving cars could cater for house to work transport.
    No sign of electric fleets of self-driving cars but useful work can be done on what we have. Ultimately all PT will be electric anyway.

• Advertisement

kanuseeme wrote: »

Image....instead of thousands of self driving car you had one large self driving vehicle with loads of seats on it :p imagine the posibilities!!!

Image....instead of thousands of self driving car you had one large self driving vehicle with loads of seats on it :p imagine the posibilities!!!
    Driving is all fine and dandy but where does it stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Taking the long way around.

People do not want to be stuck on a bus with some smelly hippy and then to walk 20 minutes in the rain/cold. If people are rich enough they will go by car not bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anytime I see or hear Eamon Ryan I want to puke.He hasn't a clue about rural life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Well if a party had any sense they would say lets meet in the middle and increase diesel by 5c per ltr and reduce petrol by 5c per ltr....

Then its a straight fight

What about trucks tractors vans etc?

Trucks/vans normally get VAT off.....

Tractors is not on car diesel. It is on agri diesel

Also, might be worth nothing Nissan have electric van and VW Crafter is available as well. Renault kangoovan etc etc

is_that_so wrote: »
    Driving is all fine and dandy but where does it stop?

Not too far in the future nobody will own cars, PCP etc is the start of it. Talk to any of the large lease companies and you will pay for a car like a comodity. Similar to what Go Car are introduced

So in morning if you want a car and you live in Dublin, you go to local check in point and pick up one and then drop it back.

People owning and having cars sitting outside on driveway will be gone in a few years.

Not too far in the future nobody will own cars, PCP etc is the start of it. Talk to any of the large lease companies and you will pay for a car like a comodity. Similar to what Go Car are introduced

So in morning if you want a car and you live in Dublin, you go to local check in point and pick up one and then drop it back.

People owning and having cars sitting outside on driveway will be gone in a few years.
    It'll take longer than that but yes a likely common model in a decade or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Trucks/vans normally get VAT off.....

Tractors is not on car diesel. It is on agri diesel

Also, might be worth nothing Nissan have electric van and VW Crafter is available as well. Renault kangoovan etc etc

I mean when they ban all fossil fuels will they have Forty foots been towed by an electric engine?

I believe it takes 40 minutes to charge your car, how would that work if you’re commuting from Dublin to cork on a given day?

You would loose an hour waiting for your van or car to charge.

Hugely unreliastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Easy - increase the price of diesel to match price of petrol

Trucks, large vans have electronic tachos for years.

Upload yer tacho to new Revenenue website to get the few extra cent per litre back

No upload shiny electronic tacho ? no money back for you

Advertisement