Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a smallish license plate

Options
  • 15-06-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I just registered my bike and need to get a plate. I would prefer one of the smaller ones you can get as they look nicer. The bike has a tail tidy that is about 15cm wide. Something about that would be ideal. Does anyone know where to get them online? I had a look but most of the sites seem to have 230x75mm which would be ok but a little smaller would be better..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Yep, that looks perfect, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just fyi, legal size on a bike is 170 x 110 (or 260 x 55 if all letters and figures are in one line)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just fyi, legal size on a bike is 170 x 110 (or 260 x 55 if all letters and figures are in one line)

20kdc8k.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

blade1 wrote: »

+1 for these guys - they'll email out a proof of the plate and once you are happy they take card payment over the phone and post the plate out. I've bought >8 plates off them and never had a problem. They have made custom plates down to the size of a Mars bar for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I spoke to them on Saturday, emailed over the details on Sunday. Got a proof and the paypal details on Monday and the plate arrived on Tuesday. Postage is included, 15 euro all in. It looks smaller than I envisaged, people in work were laughing at it. Looks grand on the bike though, im happy, two thumbs up for these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    20kdc8k.gif

Well believe it or not some people think the legal size is bigger than that. It's a lot smaller than the UK legal size.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It's a lot smaller than the UK legal size.

...but there isn't a universal minimum legal size of a UK plate - it's variable and dictated by number/type of characters and spacing, much like old Irish plates are.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Recently in Wicklow the Gardai were stopping bikes and measuring plate size and spaces between numbers etc. It's a "Revenue" offence. Look up the fines. . . . . . . I've a huge one on my bike but also own a tax disc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Recently in Wicklow the Gardai were stopping bikes and measuring plate size and spaces between numbers etc. It's a "Revenue" offence. Look up the fines. . . . . . . I've a huge one on my bike but also own a tax disc :-)

Have been at a few checkpoints where it was suggested I get a bigger plate, nothing of it though, the garda always just smiled and said on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Recently in Wicklow the Gardai were stopping bikes and measuring plate size and spaces between numbers etc.

Sounds like another great reason to avoid going through Wicklow...

Advertisement