Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Astra or Toyota Auris?

• 15-06-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi Guys,

I am looking to change my opel Astra 06 1.3 Diesel which has 247000km on it. My Budget is between 8000 to 10000 euro. I am just looking for a reliable car with a max of 60000km to replace it. I have narrowed it down to a Toyota Auris Petrol / Diesel or an Opel Astra again preferably with a petrol engine as I found the 1.3 Diesel Engine wasn't powerful enough. Any Advice would be welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

honda civic all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

What year would you get with my particular budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

bad electrics on them, go for the toyota

What a load of codswollop . Not true op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Those days are long gone. We've a 2010 version of that car OP. Cheap to run and never gives any bother.

2006 called and wants it's out of date knowledge back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Renault reliability improved hugely from 2008 onwards when the problem models from the 2001 to 2007 type era got replaced.

Mk 3 Megane should be a good car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

bazz26 wrote: »

pure rubbish,

• Advertisement

pure rubbish,

Yes, your earlier statement absolutely was.

Anymore expert comments from the man down the pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bazz26 wrote: »

pure rubbish,

Could you elaborate please......

What electrical issues does a 2014 Megane have?????.

Because it was a 2014 Megane your original post replied to.

Not a 2002 Laguna II - wed have all agreed with you on one of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I took my 1991 Renault Clio to work this morning. No faults and fun to drive. Am I doing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patmahe

OP of the options you've listed I'd have the Auris, had both as hire cars at different times. Auris felt more solid and like it would go on for longer to me.

patmahe wrote: »
    OP of the options you've listed I'd have the Auris, had both as hire cars at different times. Auris felt more solid and like it would go on for longer to me.

I think the OPs budget limits them to the old model Auris which is pretty flimsy feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi there,

I was looking at cars today and narrowed it down to a Toyota Auris Petrol Bronze Terra 141 with 76000km on the clock for a retail price of 11950. With my own car traded in that comes down to 10700 euro. The 2nd car is a Toyota Corolla Saloon Terra 131 petrol engine with only 48000km on the clock with a retail price of 10995 . The trade in brings it to 10000 euro. It has an NCT Cert until march 2021. Any advice, opinions welcome.

What are you looking for in a car?

Terra spec is the very lowest.

Any links the Corolla, I get the feeling it’s the 2007 shape, if so I wouldn’t bother as they’re very outdated and poorly packaged. If it’s a throw up between the two then it’s the Auris.

There are so many more pleasant cars out there that will be as reliable and easy to live with, a base model Corolla or Auris is a bit of a lazy choice.

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was looking at cars today and narrowed it down to a Toyota Auris Petrol Bronze Terra 141 with 76000km on the clock for a retail price of 11950. With my own car traded in that comes down to 10700 euro. The 2nd car is a Toyota Corolla Saloon Terra 131 petrol engine with only 48000km on the clock with a retail price of 10995 . The trade in brings it to 10000 euro. It has an NCT Cert until march 2021. Any advice, opinions welcome.

Terra is the miserable basic spec, plastic wheel and I don't even think they came with air condition. You should be aiming for at least Aura or Luna in both for a few modern half decent creature comforts.

Also if they are valuing your trade in at between 995 and 1250 then it's true value is even less than that as they taking the discount off the Auris and Corolla and bumping up the trade-in value on your car to make it look better and it's really not worth your while trading in a car of that low value. You should get around the same straight deal discount off the Auris or Corolla if you had no trade in and you could sell your old car on donedeal.

Advertisement