Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Controls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

20silkcut wrote: »
    There is no guarantee that humanity will always expand. It is expanding now but certain sections of humanity are quickly decreasing in expansion and in fact contracting quite fast.
    When women are better educated in third world countries just watch those birth rates plummet.
    Just cause that looks far off now doesn’t mean it won’t happen. As I said don’t fall into the trap of just seeing things from your perspective and time period.
    At least the finest minds on this planet recognize that we need to change our ways and it is increasingly seeping down to all of us. (Look at the pan european green vote increase)I agree we have done horrendous things to the planet and produced some truly monstrous people but the good outweighs the bad. Look at culture, the arts , science, music , sport etc human endeavor has been incredible and I personally am looking forward to more of it in whatever time I have left. I don’t think we are stupid enough to keep destroying our home. Humanity always finds a way. We are not collectively stupid.
    I don’t ascribe to this terrible future philosophy it’s just depressing and untrue.

Well that is a shame you are denying the "terrible future philosophy" you are watching it unfold and we are most of the way there with 60% of animal populations since 1970 gone and probably higher for plants and destroying the sea-life. Time for you to look at the evidence we need less of us, MUCH LESS. See link below.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

The general trend in Western society is a reduced birth/fertility rate, so we are kinda almost there. Ireland has bucked that trend, but not massively, we're still talking low figures overall for Ireland.

We (in the context of Ireland) have never lived in a better time when it comes to war/drought/infection. If you're looking for example of those, then go backwards in time. You're throwing out a lot of words to describe a terrible future, with very little to back it up.

So you are contemplating ending your life for the betterment of planet Earth cause you have nothing positive for the planet? I hope not.
    Was there some utopia before humans came along?

Dogs. They love us.

Without quoting the bits:
    Global population is on the increase. I personally am happy with the population level in Ireland.
    Look at our near extreme weather events (ask the farmers how stable things are) and then look globally.
    The ending my life comment is just childish and ignorant. I do not think it is related to the post.
    Dogs yes they love us and yes it can be returned locally but their abuse for this love shows no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

work wrote: »
    Without quoting the bits:
    Global population is on the increase.
    A well known fact, that nobody is arguing against.
    I personally am happy with the population level in Ireland.
    Right, so the current small increases shouldn't bother you, but they do.
    Look at our near extreme weather events (ask the farmers how stable things are) and then look globally.
    Why do you keep spamming off topic about this? Maybe stop being childish/ignorant yourself before throwing it around. This is discussion on the immigration levels for Ireland, which are not high. Maybe stay on topic for a while.
    The ending my life comment is just childish and ignorant. I do not think it is related to the post.
    You "do not think people are a positive thing for the planet". You brought into the post. If you don't believe that you are a positive for the planet, and are so concerned with the planet............ Again, don't go off topic and then whine about it.
    Dogs yes they love us and yes it can be returned locally but their abuse for this love shows no bounds.
    So you accept the example, good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Do you mean prior to 2007?
    Credit controls are totally different now, so not a case of history repeating itself this time.

The funny thing is despite FF/FG spin, it wasn't down to people partying or going mad. It's sensible not to give people loans they can't pay back, unfortunately this cuts the average worker, foreign or domestic out of the buyers market and it was the big money guys responsible for the last melt down, so we could see history repeat itself just FF/FG will be hard pushed to make the same claims.
    On the one hand we've little to no affordable housing and on the other we're told this is, in part, because we don't have the skilled workers so not sure how that'll balance out, seems we've the skilled workers for the building of properties for speculators though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Do you think Ireland should do more to limit the numbers of people coming here to work seeing as we have a chronic housing shortage, not to mention schools and a health service under severe strain ?
    Perhaps EU immigration is beyond out control but outside of that there are huge numbers still arriving. Not trying to sound like an Irish version of ukip here but just interested what others think about it...

Definitely, Cork has an endless stream of people from other countries coming to work in Apple, Dell, Amazon and the like. Rents in Cork are so high that you would get a better deal in a suburb of London.

• Advertisement

so we could see history repeat itself just FF/FG will be hard pushed to make the same claims.
    We could, but we’re not seeing the same credit issue this time. This is about a housing shortage that is driving demand, not false credit.
    I agree that those at the top deserve the vast majority of blame, but people signed on the dotted line. People did kinda go crazy (while being suckered in as well).

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Definitely, Cork has an endless stream of people from other countries coming to work in Apple, Dell, Amazon and the like. Rents in Cork are so high that you would get a better deal in a suburb of London.
    Endless? Not sure how true that is, but I will say that Cork doesn’t always have those with the skill level to fill all those roles, which is why Cork has attracted people from other countries (speaking from experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hal3000 wrote: »
    With our rent so high and the astronomical cost of living why would anyone even bother coming here?

possibly the most generous welfare system in the world
    a legal system that struggles to imprison anyone
    an anti fraud framework in the welfare / PPS / Immigration system that resembles swiss cheese for the amount of holes in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Of that 12% how many are from other EU countries ?

We cannot limit the number of EU nationals that decide to come here, it's part of being in the EU.

The majority are EU nationals.

Profile_7_Migration_&_Diversity__final_medium.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is over 12% of the total population being foreign not a huge number?

When does it become huge. 25%? 50%?

Instead of using hyperbole like “huge”, why not just always quote the number.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

If the number is down 1.6% since 2011 how is this driving homelessness?
    If we restricted numbers coming in would you accept a reciprocal response from other countries? So how many Irish go abroad? Those would have to stay which would obviously take up accommodation spaces.
    We can restrict people from the EU. If they come and can't support themselves, they can be sent back after 3 months. We don't do this though. Other countries do.
    Would you want a skilled visa option? With unemployment bottoming out we are getting to the stage of really needing people for every type of job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭sonic85

Can't believe someone in this thread has insinuated another poster should commit suicide if they aren't happy with their contribution to the planet and not one person has called them out on it. What the actual fcuk. Unbelievable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A well known fact, that nobody is arguing against.

Right, so the current small increases shouldn't bother you, but they do.

Why do you keep spamming off topic about this? Maybe stop being childish/ignorant yourself before throwing it around. This is discussion on the immigration levels for Ireland, which are not high. Maybe stay on topic for a while.

You "do not think people are a positive thing for the planet". You brought into the post. If you don't believe that you are a positive for the planet, and are so concerned with the planet............ Again, don't go off topic and then whine about it.

So you accept the example, good.

Cool your tone and ditch the backseat modding. Next time, it'll be a ban.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Those numbers are 3 years old

Ireland has had a huge influx from India since then. Not to mention Brazil and other SA countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

140,000 Irish people have emigrated between 2012-2017.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just saying.

You're not allowed mention this though.

Sure the Irish go to work, go away for the "craic" do it legally, etc etc etc.

And were mostly white.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just saying.

And were mostly white.

Mod: Enough of the snappy comments please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

I know from my own experience in the IT industry a lot of non EU workers are being sourced by the larger recruitment and consultancy firms. They are offered salaries which to them seem amazing, but are probably below the market rate, then they arrive here thinking the streets are paved with gold....and find out the cost of living here.

Recruitment firm nowhere to be seen at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Forrachmore

Anyone here with a military background.?

Was talking to a mate of mine last week who is actively looking to leave the army.? I asked him who did he vote for in the elections he said FG in the locals and FF in Europeans I nearly fainted.!!!

The way the army are been left to rot in favour of a European army is nothing short of scandles.

My question is what partie would be most aligned with the military?

• Advertisement

There is no european army.
    Can we please stop with that nonsense?
    Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Need to see extensive throughout background checks done, the recent gangland victim from Iran was here on political asylum yet he was able to engage in alleged criminal activity while here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Those numbers are 3 years old

Ireland has had a huge influx from India since then. Not to mention Brazil and other SA countries.

Where is the latest numbers on immigration. Why do I think they will show little change on the previous figures. They must be all here illegally or as students and don't show up on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Need to see extensive throughout background checks done, the recent gangland victim from Iran was here on political asylum yet he was able to engage in alleged criminal activity while here.

What if he had no previous criminal record?

Australia has extensive checks but it doesn't stop criminals getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I think most people don't have a problem with Immigration per say, it is the type of people we are admitting, when your religion is totally incompatible with modernity you should be kept out, when your ethos is to be lazy and draw social welfare you should be kept out.

Irish Citizenship should only be for Irish people and us Native Irish given proffered status for Public Employment, if you are an immigrant you or your children should never be allowed become Irish citizens and if you commit a felony type offence you should be deported even if living here the last 20+ 30 years I don't care. We should follow the UAE approach, not the George Soros destroy Western Civilisation model.

These people should be treated as the outsiders they are and let them live pay taxes and obey our rules, they should not be allowed engage in politics or have any say in how this country is run or operated. They bring great diversity but should obey our rules and way of life. No-one can argue with this as no-one wants criminality. Rape gangs terrorised Northern England is this something we should allow because it is of their religion and culture?

As things currently stand Irish people. culture and way of life will be completely lost and destroyed within two generations and the Ireland of my childhood will be completely destroyed by the time I enter my eighties if I live long enough.

theguzman wrote: »
    I think most people don't have a problem with Immigration per say, it is the type of people we are admitting, when your religion is totally incompatible with modernity you should be kept out, when your ethos is to be lazy and draw social welfare you should be kept out.

Irish Citizenship should only be for Irish people and us Native Irish given proffered status for Public Employment, if you are an immigrant you or your children should never be allowed become Irish citizens and if you commit a felony type offence you should be deported even if living here the last 20+ 30 years I don't care. We should follow the UAE approach, not the George Soros destroy Western Civilisation model.

These people should be treated as the outsiders they are and let them live pay taxes and obey our rules, they should not be allowed engage in politics or have any say in how this country is run or operated. They bring great diversity but should obey our rules and way of life. No-one can argue with this as no-one wants criminality. Rape gangs terrorised Northern England is this something we should allow because it is of their religion and culture?

As things currently stand Irish people. culture and way of life will be completely lost and destroyed within two generations and the Ireland of my childhood will be completely destroyed by the time I enter my eighties if I live long enough.

Haven’t heard of any rape gangs or attacks on people by Muslims here on anyone. Not even any arrests.

Irish culture would you go away? We’re a british colony. Hello premiership love island and X factor. Irish people for the scary part which of the younger demographic have no idea what their culture is at all. British in all but name.

So 140,000 irish people emigrated in 5 short years. Those countries should be made aware they’re coming to work for scab wages, take locals jobs and generally act the maggot. To the embarrassment of us all.
    Go way with your backwards pig ignorant racist bull and consider our own infecting the world before you criticise anyone that has come here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Haven’t heard of any rape gangs or attacks on people by Muslims here on anyone. Not even any arrests.

Irish culture would you go away? We’re a british colony. Hello premiership love island and X factor. Irish people for the scary part which of the younger demographic have no idea what their culture is at all. British in all but name.

So 140,000 irish people emigrated in 5 short years. Those countries should be made aware they’re coming to work for scab wages, take locals jobs and generally act the maggot. To the embarrassment of us all.
    Go way with your backwards pig ignorant racist bull and consider our own infecting the world before you criticise anyone that has come here

Irish people are ethnically different to the Anglo Saxon English. We are not British, our forefathers put their lives on the line to ensure of this. Irish people emigrated because Fianna Fail wrecked the country, they went abroad and worked damn hard, some have returned, others have made new lives. They didn't go around raping or going on suicide terrorist missions, nor did they look for free welfare handouts in Australia, the US (lol) or Canada etc. People like you call me a racist are the problem too blinded to the leftwing agenda to form any other opinion only try and virtue signal and call anyone who disagrees a racist. Thankfully all over Europe people are waking up to the lies and thrash of the leftist approach and the Right-wing are gaining ground and the far right growing also.

If Ireland had a referendum asking us to limit Immigration then it would pass by a 90% landslide, if we had a referendum asking should we tolerate or stop a religion who condones rape, pedophilia and the murder of non believers then I would go so far as to say it would pass by 95%

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Topic is immigration controls, not religion.

Mod note:

Topic is immigration controls, not religion.

Post deleted.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    If Ireland had a referendum asking us to limit Immigration then it would pass by a 90% landslide, if we had a referendum asking should we tolerate or stop a religion who condones rape, pedophilia and the murder of non believers then I would go so far as to say it would pass by 95%
    Any pole or data to back up that 90%? We already have means/measure to limit immigration (including from the EU); doesn’t mean it’d be enforced (as it wasn’t in the UK).

Advertisement