Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term tenancy agreement

Options
  • 15-06-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Due to increasing lack of protection for landlords and to avoid the risk of getting tenants who stop paying rent and then can’t be evicted, I plan on changing my only rental property from long term to terms of 1 to 3 months max. Am planning on only renting to recently arrived non-nationals in Ireland for short study or work gigs. I think I would probably be safer going with a licence agreement rather than a tenancy and will include all utilities plus a weekly housekeeping service. Is anyone doing this? Am considering using Spotahome. Anyone have any eexperience of this platform? and/or recommend it? Also, any idea as to where I could find a template for a residential licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Because non nationals don’t argue back?

How will it be a license agreement when you don’t live there? Are you going to hold back a bedroom and pretend you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Because non nationals don’t argue back?

How will it be a license agreement when you don’t live there? Are you going to hold back a bedroom and pretend you do?

There is no need to live there in order to have a licence agreement. There may be planning issues however. The licence agreement might be deemed a lease so it is dodgy. many landlords have ended up in court when their "licences" were called leases.
    The 6 month limit before part 4 starts is down to 2 months so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There is no need to live there in order to have a licence agreement. There may be planning issues however. The licence agreement might be deemed a lease so it is dodgy. many landlords have ended up in court when their "licences" were called leases.
    The 6 month limit before part 4 starts is down to 2 months so be careful.

Gosh, I didn’t know that Part 4 was down to 2 months. When did that change come in? Really all these new rules are getting beyond a joke.

I am hoping to be able to create the rental environment that will conform with a licence type letting, including cleaning and linen service; which will have the added benefit that tenants can’t trash the place or share with half a dozen mates without my knowing (which has happened to me in the past). So again, if anyone has done this themselves or has a link that might advise, would appreciate any advice (by pm, if concerned about being trolled here).

“Anyone who robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul” (GBS)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP as you already have this thread running in legal discussion, I'm going to close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement