Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Business Inspection

Options
  • 16-06-2019 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello

I want to ask if anyone knows what kind of criteria I will have to meet for the environmental health officer to sign off on a food business from home. It is small scale and I will be making dietary supplements.

I would like to have most things in order before the inspection if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Storage of ingredients especially bulk - off the floor and away from contaminants. If they are chilled, how will you manage these in your domestic fridge. Separation of ingredients for personal use. Preparation area - is it big enough and can it be cleaned properly eg backsplash tiles and work surface. Workspace, can family members/ non workers be excluded while prep taking place. Are your laundry facilities in another room. You don’t need a separate hand washing sink but you do need to demonstrate how you intend to manage utensil washing and hand washing at the same place.
    They may ask you about product labelling and how you will record ingredients and finished products for any food safety audit trail. If you are producing anything gluten free etc how you will manage to achieve this separation from regular product.
    Good luck with the visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

coconut30 wrote: »
    Hello

I want to ask if anyone knows what kind of criteria I will have to meet for the environmental health officer to sign off on a food business from home. It is small scale and I will be making dietary supplements.

I would like to have most things in order before the inspection if possible.

Thanks

Have you yourself identified the critical control points in your operation? Greatly helps an inspection by an EHO if you've already highlighted as it gives the impression that you've everything under control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

When is the inspection, i would recommend you do a HACCP course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

zig wrote: »
    When is the inspection, i would recommend you do a HACCP course.

Recommend??? If you run a food business (and lets face it you have to handle the produce) having a Haccp course is a requirement, not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

duploelabs wrote: »
    Recommend??? If you run a food business (and lets face it you have to handle the produce) having a Haccp course is a requirement, not an option

Of course, my recommendation was more in relation to allowing the OP to prepare for an inspection. It is a requirement and Im sure the inspector will tell them of this but I was under the assumption they werent trading yet. In my experience they call to your house more at an advisory level. Ultimately its up to the trader to comply and the inspector will tell them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

All the details are on the fsai website

Thankfully small home business has less regulation than larger business

https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business/home_business_food_stall.html

Haccp itself is not a requirement, but you must have your plan based on Haccp. You can self train using their comprehensive guide

Advertisement