Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KTM 390 Duke or MT-07 as first bike?

Options
  • 16-06-2019 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Just getting sorted to do IBT and looking at bikes. Won't be buying for a month or two but sure doing the research on what to get is part of the fun. These 2 are are top of my list with the MT-07 slightly in front, but more expensive, and a bit more intimidating too so still undecided. Won't be commuting or doing heavy touring on it, just for fun really with the odd weekend trip.

Anyone here with experience of either of these as a first bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MT07 simply for the engine, its sweet as fcuk but the build quality is crap (looked at buying new for me son, then when he got more experienced we looked at the MT09 and MT10 but they all share the same sh*t build quality).

I know nothing about the KTM, but from experience small engines get tiring very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

MT07 simply for the engine, its sweet as fcuk but the build quality is crap (looked at buying new for me son, then when he got more experienced we looked at the MT09 and MT10 but they all share the same sh*t build quality).

I know nothing about the KTM, but from experience small engines get tiring very quick.

Is the build quality that bad? Haven't read much about that. Leaning towards buying used for my first bike. Likely won't be putting big miles on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Why not a 690 KTM...?

Why not a 690 KTM...?

Hadn't considered it. Considerably more expensive.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Is the build quality that bad? Haven't read much about that. Leaning towards buying used for my first bike. Likely won't be putting big miles on it anyway.

If its your first bike you won't notice anything wrong with the build quality, you'll love it.

We just found it had cheap and nasty plastics and graphics.

That said the MT07 engine is a beaut, Yamaha is using it in the new T7 Tenere.

I've rode a few Mt07 and MT09's and just loved the engines.

Be careful buying used, I'd look at dealers first tbh simply because you've some back up should anything go wrong and private buyers in this country 'tend to put dealer prices on their bikes anyway.

It also pays off over the long run when you build a relationship with the dealers. Some people would say you're mad to go near them, and a lot of the times you do pay over the odd's but when you're stuck and looking for a bargain, good advice etc that's when you'll be glad of it.

You're new to biking, I've been riding over 30 years and in recent years my son has been riding and I'll just tell you what I told him.. 'Every time you ride out on your bike try remember that there's someone who loves you and wants you to return home safe & well'.

• Advertisement

Why not a 690 KTM...?

It'll get robbed before he gets his first fill up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

No, he has (I believe) a 1200cc BMW he bought new which would be a luxury bike and the MT07 is a budget bike. So it would feel cheap in comparison. Maybe some other cheaper bikes have less of a plastic feel but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I just bought an MT07, it's my third bike and it is four years old with 25k kms, feels brand new to me.

The stock exhaust is almost silent, though I like louder exhausts.
    The suspension is very soft to the point of being bouncy. Good to practice smooth breaking and shouldn't be really an issue for you.
    Riding it home from Liverpool I found it to be fine up to 80mph but here recently I have found it very windy at around 60mph, may be from head on wind.. A windscreen can be bought though they look a bit crap..

I am having lots of fun with it, great for commuting. Really comfy to be on for a couple hours. As others said the engine is great. The bike is super light feeling, almost to the point of feeling like a bicycle. I think it would be ideal to learn on. I am not sure if it is an A class bike or not, if not keep in mind you cannot do the A test on it. I just means you need to use an instructors bike to do the A test..

If you are in/near Dublin Bikeworld have a Duke 390, if you want to go have a sit on it, give it some revs and hear/feel what the engine sounds like. Moto4U have a couple Mt07s. If you get in touch with Bruce there he has had a few himself and could answer any questions. I would buy a bike from Moto4u, they seem great in there.

rowanh wrote: »

No, he has (I believe) a 1200cc BMW he bought new which would be a luxury bike and the MT07 is a budget bike. So it would feel cheap in comparison. Maybe some other cheaper bikes have less of a plastic feel but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I just bought an MT07, it's my third bike and it is four years old with 25k kms, feels brand new to me.

The stock exhaust is almost silent, though I like louder exhausts.
    The suspension is very soft to the point of being bouncy. Good to practice smooth breaking and shouldn't be really an issue for you.
    Riding it home from Liverpool I found it to be fine up to 80mph but here recently I have found it very windy at around 60mph, may be from head on wind.. A windscreen can be bought though they look a bit crap..

I am having lots of fun with it, great for commuting. Really comfy to be on for a couple hours. As others said the engine is great. The bike is super light feeling, almost to the point of feeling like a bicycle. I think it would be ideal to learn on. I am not sure if it is an A class bike or not, if not keep in mind you cannot do the A test on it. I just means you need to use an instructors bike to do the A test..

If you are in/near Dublin Bikeworld have a Duke 390, if you want to go have a sit on it, give it some revs and hear/feel what the engine sounds like. Moto4U have a couple Mt07s. If you get in touch with Bruce there he has had a few himself and could answer any questions. I would buy a bike from Moto4u, they seem great in there.

Cheers man. Much appreciated. Ill be heading into take a look at them in metal next week.

Agree with Moto4u, they're great to deal with and no problem getting test rides from, unlike Bikeworld who wanted a 500 Euro deposit from my son when he was trying to do a deal on a Ducati with them, we left & spent close to 20k on a BMW in the same afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The 390 Duke is a little demon if you are prepared to wring its neck but its a bit lumpy for just bumbling through town. KTM have subcontracted all of their small roadbikes (125 Duke, 390 Duke and RC390) to Bajaj in India and I think the build quality as well as the component choice isn't as good as the MT-07 in your list. There are lots of secondhand MT-07s and you will find something to suit your budget but sit on a few of them and make sure you are happy that it isn't too heavy or too powerful to start out on. What about the older MT-03 with the 660cc single cylinder engine? Bit quirky but less expensive to fix if you let it fall over in your first few months on the road...

• Advertisement

I see they've got a nice MT-07 with a fairing (which I haven't seen before) in Bikeworld

PIC HERE

That will give you a bit of wind and weather protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I see they've got a nice MT-07 with a fairing (which I haven't seen before) in Bikeworld

PIC HERE

That will give you a bit of wind and weather protection.

That's the Tracer model.

OP, +1 on the MT07 though.
    Incredibly easy bike to ride for a novice.
    Short wheel base and very precise steering.

Build quality is OK, true that there's lots of plastic but I
    wouldn't let that bother you.
    Superb engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I like the XSR700 same engine and chassis as the MT-07 but with retro styling. Not that many of them about.

483371.jpeg

I like the XSR700 same engine and chassis as the MT-07 but with retro styling. Not that many of them about.

Class looking machine. Yeah, don't see many (any!) for sale. I suppose you'd really need to love the styling to spring for the extra money over the MT-07 when buying new.

Been looking at the listed prices for used MT-07s. Listed prices seem mad high to me - coming from buying and selling cars and bicycles.

Couple of examples that look high to me (based on zero experience of the used bike market.)
    [Dealer] 3 year old MT-07 with 30K km for €6k+
    [Private sale] 5 year old MT-07 with under 20K km for just under €5K

Do bikes actually hold their value or are these dealers and private sellers listing bikes a bit high and expecting to be low-balled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bikes hold their value better than cars. But yes, dealers won't budge on the price and private sellers are often dreaming when they put up an ad and most expect to be low balled or should.

If it's your first bike don't spend too much money, you'll upgrade in the future.

Two months later, finally I've bought a bike. A Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Duke 390 in hipster clothing. Picking it up next week - can't wait. Buying new. The MT-07 felt like a bit too much bike for me right now.

I have to say the bike buying experience in Ireland is sh*te. Between useless dealers who seemingly don't want to sell a bike (from ignoring you in the showroom to not returning calls / emails) and head-banger private sellers who straight-up lie over the phone about things like their bike having no rust and when you show up to view it, it's covered in rust. Or private sellers with totally unrealistic asking prices and they won't budge on price even though their bike is for sale for 4/5 months. It's a pain in the arse. A bike supermarket type place would clean up here. I did consider going to the UK for a bike and might next time round.

Enough whinging, thanks for the advice on this thread and a few PM's I got - much appreciated input. I'll stick up a pic of the bike when I get it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nice bikes them. Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Two months later, finally I've bought a bike. A Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Duke 390 in hipster clothing. Picking it up next week - can't wait. Buying new. The MT-07 felt like a bit too much bike for me right now.

I have to say the bike buying experience in Ireland is sh*te. Between useless dealers who seemingly don't want to sell a bike (from ignoring you in the showroom to not returning calls / emails) and head-banger private sellers who straight-up lie over the phone about things like their bike having no rust and when you show up to view it, it's covered in rust. Or private sellers with totally unrealistic asking prices and they won't budge on price even though their bike is for sale for 4/5 months. It's a pain in the arse. A bike supermarket type place would clean up here. I did consider going to the UK for a bike and might next time round.

Enough whinging, thanks for the advice on this thread and a few PM's I got - much appreciated input. I'll stick up a pic of the bike when I get it next week.

I'm not unsympathetic.

I, We, bought my son's first bike last week,a 181-reg 125.

The process was exhausting.

Nobody has small learner bikes bar one shop, which was a 3-hr drive away. Used, good 125's are rare items. But so they would be: say a lovely YZF R125 for.....€5.7k. Even if I had that much I wouldn't spend it. Besides, no-one would quote it anyway.

As for the "A bike supermarket type place would clean up here." a nice thought, but alas it wouldn't. the market is simply way too small to support one.

And with every Tom Dick & Harry off on the ferry every weekend to buy bikes, you'll never cover overheads. Sad, but true.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well wear, pics when you get it.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nice! The Svartpilen 401 is on my list when I upgrade from my 125

Ah you'll be ready for a 600+ by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good to hear you got sorted with a bike, safe riding dude...
    Sorry for jumping in, but would a new MT07 be ok insurance wise for a returning biker, basically starting off again??? Would it be in the same grade as a sv650 ect...
    Just curious if anyone has any information that would save me bother ringing around if it's a no-no....

The variance in price between a nearly new bikes in general and a brand new bikes is such that I wouldn't mind paying it at the moment as circumstances allow me that luxury.... Ta

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Good to hear you got sorted with a bike, safe riding dude...
    Sorry for jumping in, but would a new MT07 be ok insurance wise for a returning biker, basically starting off again??? Would it be in the same grade as a sv650 ect...
    Just curious if anyone has any information that would save me bother ringing around if it's a no-no....

The variance in price between a nearly new bikes in general and a brand new bikes is such that I wouldn't mind paying it at the moment as circumstances allow me that luxury.... Ta

Both are insurance group 9 so shouldn't be a major difference in base price, however bike value will come into it and an mt07 will be more expensive for that reason and depending on where you're parking it, the price will just go up from there.

Advertisement