Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fathers day

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

circadian wrote: »
    Are you a shark?

blinding wrote: »
    Are you a shark ?

No?

No?

Thanks for confirming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's a bit of our father in all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    There's a bit of our father in all of us.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi8kRP_K-QQHIIym-Pag94fIsAc9DEP9wYSdbeqtRsQAKz3icI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

You should just charge them by the hour for the time they spend with you because nothing says "I love you kids" like "show me the money".

Today is not about saying 'I love you Kids'..... its about 'I love you Dad!! And here's something to say 'thanks.... I know its something you want'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I find having to go through the motions of buying cards and all that bollocks absolutely spirit crushing. So many of our life 'choices' are little more than the consequences of being swept along in society's tsunami of bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I find having to go through the motions of buying cards and all that bollocks absolutely spirit crushing. So many of our life 'choices' are little more than the consequences of being swept along in society's tsunami of bullshit.

Jesus, lad, it’s a card, box of Black Magic, and a bottle of cheap plonk. It’s hardly a damning indictment of society. You come across as extremely curmudgeonly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

JayZeus wrote: »
    It’s a load of sheite. Mothers and Fathers day. If your parents don’t know always that you love them and appreciate what they’ve done for you over the years, they only have themselves to blame for raising an ungrateful little get. And if they do, these days should be seen for what they are, a way to get people to spend more. Only fools buy in to it.
    Bah humbug. Mothers and Fathers day isn't just about the parents. Little kids especially love making cards and bringing breakfast in bed. It's a bit of fun and you don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice time. I think this is a lovely post from a Dad happy to be the centre of attention:
    gifted wrote: »
    Just got my cards and pressies from the three chicks....they're downstairs now making breakfast for me to have in bed....funny part is that they will hop into the bed and eat it all and I'll have to make my own later lol lol

Kids are only small for a little while. Let them have some fun and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh FGS, I wish I had my Dad around all the time, not just today, but it does feel raw with all the sentiment going on and you miss them terribly.

What I'd give for a big bear hug right now. Bless you Da.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How it goes from the same posters:

Women's day - "what about men" / " here are all the ways women are bad"
    Men's day - "go men! But also people care more about women wah wah"
    Mothers day - "what about men" " / " here are all the ways women are bad"
    Fathers day - "people care more about women wah wah" " / " here are all the ways women are bad"

Leads me to believe that some people just want to give out about women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Women's day - "what about men"
    Mothers day - "what about men"
    Fathers day - "people care more about women wah wah"

Leads me to believe that some people just want to give out about women

Some people aren't happy unless they're moaning, a terrible existence I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Q: What's one of the leading stories on the media today for Fathers Day?

A: A female Garda who was treated very badly 35 years ago..............

There you go - your point is proven :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BarryD2 wrote: »

So no actual news is to be reported on fathers day? Or not any related to women at all? Is that how mothers day usually works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've treated my husband to the day out with the kids. I'm at home on my own enjoying the quiet and reading :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I've had a great day. Lovely present...not expected but greatly appreciated. Lovely day out with my Mrs and kid just walking and enjoying the countryside.

Lovely dinner in a nice restaurant with a few glasses of red.

I feel very fortunate as a lot of my friends have split up with their wives and don't get to enjoy family life anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the one thing that really annoys me is the quality of cards for men on fathers day , christmass, birthdays, etc.
    cards for mothers day are about how wonderfull our mothers are and all the great things they do for us. great and the way it should be
    the ones for fathers are about farting, drinking, watching tv,football etc and how they are in charge today but have to give back the control to the mother the day after.
    its very hard to find a proper good card for your father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT SHIT ???
    It's actually perfectly coherent. Weird reaction.

This thread could have been an actual fathers' day thread with stories about people's dads, or about being a father. But nah, can't be having a positive thread like that - gotta turn it into a thread having a go at women. Women are placed on a pedestal in society? Well certainly not by plenty.

Anyway, happy fathers' day, dads. I loved giving my dad a present and card today, and hearing about the enjoyment experienced by others dads I know - and their children's/children's mothers'/grandchildren's appreciation of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

My Dad's unfortunately in a nursing home, and isn't in a position to appreciate Father's day anymore. When he was well, though, he didn't have any truck with the whole Father's Day thing - but myself and him had an understanding that I'd get him a bottle of Jameson, and we'd attack it together :D

My wife and daughter treated me to a homemade card, some token presents, and more importantly a lie in :D That and a nice afternoon lunch made the day for me. I don't expect anything but appreciate what I get, and it's the same for my wife on Mother's Day. Works for us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

somebody's got daddy issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Ger Loughnane was right, men have gone soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've treated my husband to the day out with the kids. I'm at home on my own enjoying the quiet and reading :)

Username checks out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ah, After Hours.

A thread about fathers day and people still make it about how women have it harder.

At least nobody has tried it on with the ‘what about si gle mothers’ yet.

Yet.

You make it seem like that poster randomly brought it up and wasn’t commenting on something said in the thread.
    BarryD2 wrote: »

Woman-related news stories shouldn’t be reported on on Father’s Day? Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Rang mine to wish him happy father's day, couldn't rouse him til early afternoon, knew from my man he'd been out at a 50th until 3am.

"Well had you a good night?"
    "Oh aye it was mad craic, drank far too much though"
    "And had you your breakfast in bed and everything?"
    "I did aye. There was a stripper there last night it was great!"
    "Ok then Dad, bye bye now"
    "Some Brazilian policeman fella, jays he was in great shape!"

Things have moved on somewhat from shaking keys and making funny faces but that man still does crack me up pretty frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

myshirt wrote: »
    Ger Loughnane was right, men have gone soft.
    All men including you? No they haven't. A loud minority are very unreasonable regarding women though.
    You make it seem like that poster randomly brought it up and wasn’t commenting on something said in the thread.
    I know. The contortion is quite amazing.

Advertisement