Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Arrears- how to rectify

• 16-06-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have Just moved home from abroad
    Whilst abroad I had the odd net repayment on my credit card ( usually about 25-50€) just because I was totally dumb and not paying enough attention to my Irish account
    I've just arrived home to see a letter from the bank from January to say that my credit card is now in arrears from the missed repayment
    I have since repaid all the debt. I'm just extremely anxious as to how this will affect my ability to get a mortgage in the next two years
    I cleared an 11k loan in 2-3 years ( again with the odd missed payment but generally kept up with it)
    Kicking myself for being so flippant about it
    I have a good job- make 40k per year and this will increase yearly. I have a good credit history with my Australian account ( paid back all credit card debt with no issues) and have money in savings
    I will call the bank tomorrow to explain my situation
    Basically I want advice on what else I could be doing? Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just try and save consistently now, if you have no debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to apply to www.icb.ie for a credit report. If you have a bad credit rating this stays on your report for 5 years after it is cleared. If it was a small amount and perhaps may be the Annual Charge it will probably be overlooked by the lender however if serious there's no such thing that it will be overlooked after 12 months. Central Bank has also introduced a new credit report so you should also apply for one.

If applying for a mortgage you need to show regular monthly savings equivalent to monthly stressed repayments. Lenders will also look for a credit report from Australia and it would be a good idea to retain your last 6 months savings and current accounts statements from Australia as you will need a paper trail of all lodgments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think the Central Credit Register is better then ICB:
    https://www.centralcreditregister.ie/

Not much you can do but to create a good picture from now on. No more missed payments. Regular (same amount at same time every month) savings that you don't dip into. No overdraft, no gambling, no odd spending.

If you have a good subsequent record you should be able to explain away the other items. They might not even come up if they are minor.

Advertisement