Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway

Options
  • 16-06-2019 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how much the removal and laying of a new driveway of about 6 m squared should cost? Including a step, trying to decide on what to get and also get a the least expensive option that will be maintenance and week free, any idea? Interested in comparison between prices and pros and cons if anyone could tell me also? Thanks so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how much the removal and laying of a new driveway of about 6 m squared should cost? Including a step, trying to decide on what to get and also get a the least expensive option that will be maintenance and week free, any idea? Interested in comparison between prices and pros and cons if anyone could tell me also? Thanks so much.

6 Sq. M is a small drive way.
    Concrete be probably the cheapest while remaining maintenance free. May not look great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

How much would concrete be? I saw one with tarmac with a concrete path that looked nice too but wasnt sure how much it would be. I want it to look better but thinking I can put some flowers etc to make it look nicer rather than spending a fortune, right now it's full of weeds coming through paving. Also, any good companies around?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How much would concrete be? I saw one with tarmac with a concrete path that looked nice too but wasnt sure how much it would be. I want it to look better but thinking I can put some flowers etc to make it look nicer rather than spending a fortune, right now it's full of weeds coming through paving. Also, any good companies around?

Get 3 local companies out to quote and compare.

kceire wrote: »
    Get 3 local companies out to quote and compare.

Thanks I'll do that a my measurements were totally wrong it's about 42 sq meters, was doing the maths wrong

Keep in mind you can get printed concrete to make it look nicer.

Although it is pretty much maintenance free, i have heard a few people complain that their printed concrete suffered some small/minor cracking when the big snow landed on us 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Keep in mind you can get printed concrete to make it look nicer.

Although it is pretty much maintenance free, i have heard a few people complain that their printed concrete suffered some small/minor cracking when the big snow landed on us 2 years ago.

Just said I’d mention that We got a price for printed concrete and it was fairly astronomical in comparison to ordinary concrete. I can’t remember the figures, but I remember being shocked!
    It’s also quite slippy when wet, if the drive is on any bit of a slope.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Just said I’d mention that We got a price for printed concrete and it was fairly astronomical in comparison to ordinary concrete. I can’t remember the figures, but I remember being shocked!
    It’s also quite slippy when wet, if the drive is on any bit of a slope.

Yeah worked out a tad more expensive than me getting granite paving installed instead (which is what i went with).

But I've seen it around the place and it can look nice (printed concrete, that is). Although I do know a friend of a friend with it on a slope and they never complained about it being slippery. I wonder if that perhaps has anything to do with the finish on it? Maybe a rougher/sandier mix makes it less slippery? (I've no idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Yeah worked out a tad more expensive than me getting granite paving installed instead (which is what i went with).

But I've seen it around the place and it can look nice (printed concrete, that is). Although I do know a friend of a friend with it on a slope and they never complained about it being slippery. I wonder if that perhaps has anything to do with the finish on it? Maybe a rougher/sandier mix makes it less slippery? (I've no idea).

I don’t know really either, a friend has it, but it’s on quite a slope, and it’s lethal when wet. I think it’s whatever sealant or coating that’s reapplied every so often that makes it slippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Your talking around €4,000 for imprinted concrete for a driveway that size, that’s prices we got quoted for (Dublin based). Cobblelock was much more costly, that was over €5k.

Asphalt came in the cheapest but got mixed feedback and decided against it. We decided on the inprint concrete and getting it done start of July.

Thanks it's all so expensive it's hard to.make a decision, all the driveway places seem to recommend different things, I've a quote of about 2000 for asphalt ans 2200 doe tarmac l, and someone telling me the asphalt is a bad idea, so I really dont know! Looking around it's hard to get it to look decent even without spending a fortune. The weeds are the main issue in any pavings and I was told imprinted needs to be polished. It's a hard decision as it seems a lot for a simple driveway, thinking maybe tarmac is the easiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

€2000/€2200 seems cheap to be honest, make sure they are reputable tradesmen doing the job. If can go horribly wrong if done incorrectly, ie driveway sink without correct drainage, hardcore etc. tarmac needs to be done correctly and I’d be concerned if it’s just costing 2k when you factor in labour and materials etc.

Maybe I’m just getting totally ripped off with the quotes I got.
    Thanks it's all so expensive it's hard to.make a decision, all the driveway places seem to recommend different things, I've a quote of about 2000 for asphalt ans 2200 doe tarmac l, and someone telling me the asphalt is a bad idea, so I really dont know! Looking around it's hard to get it to look decent even without spending a fortune. The weeds are the main issue in any pavings and I was told imprinted needs to be polished. It's a hard decision as it seems a lot for a simple driveway, thinking maybe tarmac is the easiest.

Both are registered companies with reviews and websites so not too sure where else to look, its probably a good price it's just still a lot of money just like all house things. In fairness it's a job that seems to take a day ans maybe a half at most. Not too sure how to know about drainage etc if you've any tips, I'm basically asking for whatever is the cheapest thing to do which seems to be tarmac or asphalt so maybe that's also why.

quote="bri007;110480292"]€2000/€2200 seems cheap to be honest, make sure they are reputable tradesmen doing the job. If can go horribly wrong if done incorrectly, ie driveway sink without correct drainage, hardcore etc. tarmac needs to be done correctly and I’d be concerned if it’s just costing 2k when you factor in labour and materials etc.

Maybe I’m just getting totally ripped off with the quotes I got.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

I saw this [Snip] and it might help you decide. I think there are some questions that you need to ask yourself. What are the primary factors for your decision? If it's mainly the price as you mentioned, then tarmac, asphalt or gravel are the materials you can choose from. From there, you can deduce further by checking which one you prefer based on aesthetics. Different companies would also give different price quotes so I usually recommend getting quotes from at least three different companies. I would also factor in the reputation of the company and the testimonials from their clients through their website and social media. It's tough when you make the mistake of hiring service providers who do a subpar job and you would end up spending more after a few months to have them repaired or worse, completely re-done.

Advertisement