Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new PC, secondhand parts?

Options
  • 16-06-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've gone through most of the PC config sites to build a gaming PC for DCS World with a view to using VR in the future. I'm not flush with cash right now an am considering secondhand parts, has anyone done it and is it worth it? Looking for a reasonably future proof PC so a 1151 overclockable mobo seems like a good bet.

What can I cheap out on?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What is your budget? New parts are so reasonable now, it's actually harder to get 2nd hand bargains. Unless your budget is really small, it's better to buy new. You can get a Ryzen 2600X system with RX580 for as little as €550 new. Or Intel 9400F + GTX1060 6GB for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

What is your budget? New parts are so reasonable now, it's actually harder to get 2nd hand bargains. Unless your budget is really small, it's better to buy new. You can get a Ryzen 2600X system with RX580 for as little as €550 new. Or Intel 9400F + GTX1060 6GB for same.

Budget is very low tbh. Around €450 and that's pushing it. But what you say makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

The One Doctor, Just wondering what are the specs of the PC your using ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Amazon usually have Prime Day sometime in July. It's often just brick-a-brack on their main website but the offer substantial savings on their pre-owned/returned stock on the Warehouse portion of their site.

I built a pretty good machine for relatively small money by using that this time last year and things like RAM and SSDs have come down since.

Might be an option worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Skyknight wrote: »
    The One Doctor, Just wondering what are the specs of the PC your using ATM?

Don't have a PC right now, have been using laptops for the past few years and want a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Ah right ....I had been going to suggest that you might be able to use parts/upgrade parts from your old one, thus reducing (if only marginally) the cost......a mini SLEP(Service Life Extension Program) as it were.

Advertisement