Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WR250F Register for road use ?

Options
  • 16-06-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering is it easy to register a bike for road use , this model is actually road legal but I'm looking at one that's not registered to buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

VRT and maybe duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

gctest50 wrote:
    VRT and maybe duty

it's an older bike is there anything special I'd need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Be sure it wasn't stolen from the UK would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Need a Cert of Conformity to register for road use.

gctest50 wrote:
    Be sure it wasn't stolen from the UK would be nice

how would I be able to find that out ?, this bike doesn't have licence plates or indicators at this pressent time I'd have to buy a kit for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get the VIN number and check it out.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Ok ill ask the seller for the VIN number if hes not willing to give it over ill just have to assume its hot

CJhaughey wrote:

seller said he will send on the vin this evening, is there somewhere I can check it out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering is it easy to register a bike for road use , this model is actually road legal but I'm looking at one that's not registered to buy

It can be tricky. Even if road legal, make sure it has an odometer. If it hasn't you'll have bother with VRT.

Unless you can prove (via MoT's) the mileage is above 6k kms you'll get caught for VAT as well.

I brought in an Enduro a few years ago, but made sure it was road reg'd already. A friend brought in a Honda at the same time and gave up in the end.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I brought in an Ensure a few years ago, but made sure it was road reg'd already. A friend brought in a Honda at the same time and gave up in the end.

I suppose the attraction for me is i can get the non road registered bike significantly cheaper than if it was registered, so i can take a punt at getting it registered ride it around for a while and hopefully trade up for something like a transalp or something similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I suppose the attraction for me is i can get the non road registered bike significantly cheaper than if it was registered, so i can take a punt at getting it registered ride it around for a while and hopefully trade up for something like a transalp or something similar

I find it hard to believe you'll save a whole lot. By the time you register it, tax it and add any missing items (horn/lights etc) it's hard to see the saving. If it doesn't have a speedo or hour-clock that can be verified you could be in for an expensive top-end rebuild. Making sure it wasn't stolen is up to you - I just wouldn't take any chances in order to save a couple of hundred quid.

well i have the VIN now so trying to find where i can actually find out where I check to see if it's hot or not ?

on the time and expense side of things something like this that I have to figure out what to do ect appeals to my particular nature I know it's a risk and I'm willing to take it with a few educated guesses and information

fergus1001 wrote:
    well i have the VIN now so trying to find where i can actually find out where I check to see if it's hot or not ?

ok I got it the VIN shows that it's on zero stolen records all over uk/ Europe

now question is do I pull the trigger !

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

ok I got it the VIN shows that it's on zero stolen records all over uk/ Europe

now question is do I pull the trigger !

Depends, what year is it, how many hours on it, whats the price?

Depends, what year is it, how many hours on it, whats the price?

it's a 2003 seller was asking for 1800 and I have it at 1400 now, I'm not sure how many hours is on the bike to be honest

it's a 2003 seller was asking for 1800 and I have it at 1400 now, I'm not sure how many hours is on the bike to be honest

1400 is decent, at that price it doesn't really matter how many hours are on it. be no harm to give it a good going over, compression test, valve adjustment ect...

I find it hard to believe you'll save a whole lot. By the time you register it, tax it and add any missing items (horn/lights etc) it's hard to see the saving. If it doesn't have a speedo or hour-clock that can be verified you could be in for an expensive top-end rebuild. Making sure it wasn't stolen is up to you - I just wouldn't take any chances in order to save a couple of hundred quid.

^^^ this.

What you'll "save" now you lose at the other end when you sell it IMHO.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    What you'll "save" now you lose at the other end when you sell it IMHO.

see I don't look at it as saving other people look at this and think why bother ? I say bring on a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

see I don't look at it as saving other people look at this and think why bother ? I say bring on a challenge

Go for it - let us know how you get on!

Just make sure when you bring it in to NCT centre that it has a clock on it with more than 6000km's or you will have to pay vat. Vrt should be cheap enough around 50.

• Advertisement

so it defiantly doesn't have a speedo, I was looking at installing a trail tech vapour speedo/odometer on it so I can rock up to the NCT with a Odo reading of more than 6k on it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

so it defiantly doesn't have a speedo, I was looking at installing a trail tech vapour speedo/odometer on it so I can rock up to the NCT with a Odo reading of more than 6k on it

Doesn't matter as the bike will be going onto a 192 plate, it hasn't been registered before, so you'll have to pay VAT.

The only issue I can see is if you can actually register it, is it Euro 4 compliant?

Del2005 wrote:
    The only issue I can see is if you can actually register it, is it Euro 4 compliant?

as far as I'm aware it will be on a 2003 plate as that was the year of manufacture, and it doesn't have to be euro 4 complient just complient with the 2003 regs

as far as I'm aware it will be on a 2003 plate as that was the year of manufacture, and it doesn't have to be euro 4 complient just complient with the 2003 regs

Nope, year of manufacture has nothing to do with the year of registration. Any vehicle being registered for the 1st time now has to be Euro 4 or higher.

Del2005 wrote:
    Nope, year of manufacture has nothing to do with the year of registration. Any vehicle being registered for the 1st time now has to be Euro 4 or higher.

Checked it out with revenue I need the Certificate of conformity to register it, Bikeworld will give me one for 95 euro plus headed paper saying make model and serial number ect

Checked it out with revenue I need the Certificate of conformity to register it, Bikeworld will give me one for 95 euro plus headed paper saying make model and serial number ect

Is it Euro 4?

Del2005 wrote:
    Is it Euro 4?

it's worse than that it doesn't have a CoC so can't be registered, so I'm pulling away from buying the bike

so anyone googling this topic, make sure the model has a Certificate of Conformity you can check with Bikeworld.ie

it's worse than that it doesn't have a CoC so can't be registered, so I'm pulling away from buying the bike

so anyone googling this topic, make sure the model has a Certificate of Conformity you can check with Bikeworld.ie

Ah feck. At least you found out before you bought it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Ah feck. At least you found out before you bought it.

CoC does not apply if the vehicle was in use before CoC's were a requirement iirc. 1st January 1993 is the cut off date.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    CoC does not apply if the vehicle was in use before CoC's were a requirement iirc. 1st January 1993 is the cut off date.

The bike was made in 2003 and would have been going on a 192 plate.

Advertisement