Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in a dodgy area

Options
  • 17-06-2019 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Or stay renting knowing you could be homeless at any time.

You know that by buying the house you have a high chance of:

1) ongoing noise issues from next door
    2) never be able to let kids play outside
    3) 1st thing you do prior to moving in is buy a high quality alarm
    4) 2nd thing is turn front garden into a driveway with lockable access as it's not advisable to leave cars on road.
    5) run a high risk of not being able to sell the house in future
    6) previous occupant was murdered.

Pro's
    1) you can pay cash but don't earn enough to get a mortgage
    2) amazing school in the area
    3) 20 mins from family
    4) no stress trying to get a better paying job or childcare to allow you to work longer hours to secure a mortgage

What would you do

Comments

Why would you not be able to sell in future?

Houses sell in bad areas all the time. It's how bad areas generally tend to gentrify.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Smells like Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok, I can just about live with the rest but...
    you have a high chance of:

...6) previous occupant was murdered.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Why would you not be able to sell in future?

Houses sell in bad areas all the time. It's how bad areas generally tend to gentrify.

House has been up for sale on and off 2 plus years. It needs some work doing to it but the work needed does not justify the low price. The copper tank etc has been removed by the neighbours.

It's also the murder House but new flooring and paint fixes that.

The people in the adjoining house are from a certain ethnic minority and by all accounts come alive at night.

Friends cousin lives in estate and her house is worth half what her mortgage is and this is half that. She has advised we call around 2am any night of the week.

I have the opinion that cctv, guards and if needs court will put a stop to it but oh Thínks I'm crazy

McDermotX wrote: »
    Smells like Clondalkin

No, couldn't afford a shed there

• Advertisement

Ok, I can just about live with the rest but...

giphy.gif

Appeals to the dark side of me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't understand why anyone would consider buying a house and taking a mortgage of maybe 25 to 30 years when they know the area is sh1t?

Is this a serious question OP?

You'll always find somewhere to rent, just move a bit.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't understand why anyone would consider buying a house and taking a mortgage of maybe 25 to 30 years when they know the area is sh1t?

Is this a serious question OP?

You'll always find somewhere to rent, just move a bit.

This is a serious question

As I said there will be no mortgage, I can pay cash

Moving is not an option. We have a disabled child and need to be near family. Currently there are 0 houses for rent within a 20 mile radius

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Moving is not an option. We have a disabled child and need to be near family. Currently there are 0 houses for rent within a 20 mile radius

Where do you live? The Aran Islands?

Sorry, didnt see the cash buyer bit. I'll admit, reading the cons, I didn't read any further.

All I have to say, if points 1) to 4) are accurate in your list, you'd be mad to buy.
    Would I buy a house where my kids are prisoners and can't go out?

Seriously.

• Advertisement

Where do you live? The Aran Islands?

In munster

Sorry, didnt see the cash buyer bit.

All I have to say, if points 1) to 4) are accurate in your list, you'd be mad to buy.
    Would I buy a house where my kids are prisoners and can't go out?

Seriously.

The points are accurate.

I ha é lived in UK for a no of years and in the long term would the guards not deal with the crowd next door.

Is on going anti social behaviour not a criminal offence here?

The house is similar money wise to buying a brand new family saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’d be more inclined to take a chance in Dublin where gentrification could rapidly transform a neighbourhood. Down in somewhere like Limerick you could be waiting a long time for that, and if you’re an outsider the locals could gang up on you. I wouldn’t do it. Good luck either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I might consider it if I could sound proof it.(Might being a very small might).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭donegal_man

There's no way on earth I'd even consider buying a house that required fortification to the level you suggest OP especially with a disabled child.

A certain town in Tipperary?

The points are accurate.

I ha ived in UK for a no of years and in the long term would the guards not deal with the crowd next door.

Is on going anti social behaviour not a criminal offence here?

The house is similar money wise to buying a brand new family saloon

Are your potential neighbours from the travelling community?

If so, you can forget about every getting any peace or help from the guards.

I wouldn't take a house beside them for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sometimes it's a decision between two **** options, so I guess try pick the less **** one, and hope for the best

Are your potential neighbours from the travelling community?

If so, you can forget about every getting any peace or help from the guards.

"So, you knew who you were moving next to and their well known cultural predilections... And you Now want me to sort it out for you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your OH is right re craziness.

The vast majority of renters are never made homeless.

• Advertisement

A certain town in Tipperary?

Yup

Wow I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with my oh.

I'll move on to plan B so and sit tight. Thing is if I did by it, it would be a huge chunnk out of our deposit.

Some people say its fine there. Others tell me I'm mad to do it and I'm throwing away that money as I will be driven insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

House has been up for sale on and off 2 plus years. It needs some work doing to it but the work needed does not justify the low price. The copper tank etc has been removed by the neighbours.

It's also the murder House but new flooring and paint fixes that.

The people in the adjoining house are from a certain ethnic minority and by all accounts come alive at night.

Friends cousin lives in estate and her house is worth half what her mortgage is and this is half that. She has advised we call around 2am any night of the week.

I have the opinion that cctv, guards and if needs court will put a stop to it but oh Thínks I'm crazy

Well youve just answered your own post, but seeing as its AH i strongly advise you to buy the murder house OP. Let us know how you get on.

My advice is based on nothing and I'm looking for laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I wouldn't even consider it. For cash for free or even if I was paid

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I live in a dodgy area myself, there's a beautiful lake down the road it's quite deep, dangerous for swimming.
    Then there's lots of green pastures, and there's bulls in some Fields.

There's a river near by can be high in the winter.

Then there's tight road's you could loose a mirror while driving around a bend,or hit a fox or badger late at night.

Going hiking can be quite dodgy too, you could slip and fall down a crevice.

Yes North Clare can be a dodgy area to live in if you don't have your wit's about you.....

Every area has something dodgy about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Wow I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with my oh.

I'll move on to plan B so and sit tight. Thing is if I did by it, it would be a huge chunnk out of our deposit.

Some people say its fine there. Others tell me I'm mad to do it and I'm throwing away that money as I will be driven insane.

There's still nice house's in rural Clare you might be able to afford near Doonbeag, Ennistymon is an up and coming place too...

Keep your options open....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

The previous occupant having been murdered there would be the alarm bell going off in my head.

Abba987 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even consider it. For cash for free or even if I was paid

Yes it’s cheap for a reason. Probably a council estate from hell.

What town in Tipp is so rough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Best property advice I ever got was buy the cheapest house you can find in the best area you can afford, but that’s really only relevant in built up areas.

Could you build on your relatives property or buy a home through a housing cooperative?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement