Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in a dodgy area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ill be honest and admit id live in a field before id live next to anyone who 'comes alive at night' or live in a house where i have to lock the gate, install alarm immediately or not allow kids out to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Currently there are 0 houses for rent within a 20 mile radius

Is that 0 houses listed to rent? Rural areas can have houses to rent that are not listed anywhere. Ask locally, put up notices in local shops etc.

Might be a better short term option and keep saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Friends cousin lives in estate and her house is worth half what her mortgage is and this is half that. She has advised we call around 2am any night of the week.

Yet you're wondering about should you buy in the same estate....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This should answer your question:

Quote: Pjwal
    I lived in Glen Court, Emly, and we had to move out, one of the houses for sale there was mine and we allowed the bank to repossess it, couldn't take any more of living there, children were afraid to go out playing, wife was in a fit of depression, oil and coal been stolen all the time, kids bikes and toys taken, continuous roaring and shouting from the neighbours, car and van damaged, couldn't walk out of the estate for fear of the packs of dogs, cars set on fire, intimidation of people, look up the news papers and read the story about the beating/shooting that happened, meetings with gards and politicians did nothing, the whole heating system was stolen from my house after we moved out, do not move in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I have the opinion that cctv, guards and if needs court will put a stop to it but oh Thínks I'm crazy

You need your head examined even thinking about buying a place there - guards will be zero help if travellers are involved, and they certainly won't give a ****e about cctv or court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

... The copper tank etc has been removed by the neighbours.

The people in the adjoining house are from a certain ethnic minority and by all accounts come alive at night.

All reasons not to move in. You will never be happy in that house.
    I have the opinion that cctv, guards and if needs court will put a stop to it but oh Thínks I'm crazy

Your OH is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thankfully I live in rural Donegal so the danger of certain folk buying and moving in would be fairly slim. But if I thought there was that chance I'd sell a bloody kidney to buy it myself rather than suffer that fate.

Nevwr in a million years would I knowingly move in next door.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    This should answer your question:

Quote: Pjwal
    I lived in Glen Court, Emly, and we had to move out, one of the houses for sale there was mine and we allowed the bank to repossess it, couldn't take any more of living there, children were afraid to go out playing, wife was in a fit of depression, oil and coal been stolen all the time, kids bikes and toys taken, continuous roaring and shouting from the neighbours, car and van damaged, couldn't walk out of the estate for fear of the packs of dogs, cars set on fire, intimidation of people, look up the news papers and read the story about the beating/shooting that happened, meetings with gards and politicians did nothing, the whole heating system was stolen from my house after we moved out, do not move in there.

Disparaging an ethnic minority culture. Disgraceful.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I hope this estate is set back from the main thoroughfare so that the tidy towns inspectors don't get wind of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Not a hope could i be paid to live there never mind pay for the torture of it. Living in Dublin and having been subject to them living next door and terrorising the road, there's nothing you could do to make me buy near them. If it hasn't been sold in 2.5 years when its going for pittance, imagine the shackles around your ankles when you don't feel safe or comfortable in your own home, especially with a child who has special needs and no one will buy it off you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

So it’s Emly then?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

My friend got so tired of renting that he decided to buy in an "undesirable " area of Dublin 15. Must have been one of the last houses in Dublin for 160k, now worth 200k (but likely only corpo would buy - they keep asking). However- he did due diligence: house is at the very beginning of the estate and buffered by a church opposite him and the main road leads in to the estate and he's just there at the opening from main road. He says himself he would not have bought any farther in to the estate. Neighbours on one side have a disabled child and are quiet, other side are refugees and quiet. All neighbours work.

In deeper to the estate are a certain group who love horses and keep them in their gardens. But friend's end is ok.

You are talking about certain people next door. And you have kids.

Do not even consider it. You may have been in a country where the rule of law is respected and enforced. That is not the case in certain circumstances here.

Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

There is a few nice looking houses for sale in tipp with prices well below building cost, can I assume as always in life if it seems to be too good to be true.. ... Its because of the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

482959.jpeg

you couldn't pay me to live there. Id take my chances buying a cell in mountjoy before this.

go round on google maps, the sheer amount of litter, dogs and bikes / prams just lying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

+1 for checking the area on Google maps and Google news.
    And also go there at night and see for yourself what the area is like.

I've been browsing cheap property myself a lot lately, just to see what's out there, and found what seemed like a really good price for a 2 bed / 2 bath in Dublin 22. Great, I thought, that's near work.
    When I googled the address, I read that the building was the victim of an arson attack where people were evacuated and had to stay in hotels, one of the residents was jailed for a hit-and-run, another resident was sentenced for breaking a Garda's nose, three people were convicted for imprisoning, stripping, and beating a man. And all that was just on the first page of search results.

And this one just for a little amusement - there is a 3 bed / 2 bath house in Dublin 9 for sale for a low value.
    When I 'walked' around the street in Google maps to see what the area was like, I was confronted by this group of young lads.
    One of the boys is holding what looks like a hammer, so I assume he is really keen to offer a helping hand with the DIY.

mli2DLj.jpg

Just wondering.

Buy house for 30k or less. insure for 140k rebuild cost.
    Oops.
    Profit?

Would you be obliged to rebuild ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Pro's
    1) you can pay cash but don't earn enough to get a mortgage

I thought the banks can lend up to 3.5 your salary, no matter how little you earn? Every extra 1,000 counts.
    Or did you mean you don't earn enough for the monthly repayments?

Saudades wrote: »
    +1 for checking the area on Google maps and Google news.
    And also go there at night and see for yourself what the area is like.

I've been browsing cheap property myself a lot lately, just to see what's out there, and found what seemed like a really good price for a 2 bed / 2 bath in Dublin 22. Great, I thought, that's near work.
    When I googled the address, I read that the building was the victim of an arson attack where people were evacuated and had to stay in hotels, one of the residents was jailed for a hit-and-run, another resident was sentenced for breaking a Garda's nose, three people were convicted for imprisoning, stripping, and beating a man. And all that was just on the first page of search results.

And this one just for a little amusement - there is a 3 bed / 2 bath house in Dublin 9 for sale for a low value.
    When I 'walked' around the street in Google maps to see what the area was like, I was confronted by this group of young lads.
    One of the boys is holding what looks like a hammer, so I assume he is really keen to offer a helping hand with the DIY.
    Google maps cars generally only drive around monday-saturday 9-5 , if youre browsing an estate and see loads of scooters about, adults and especially people like the above roaming round it'll tell you all you need to know about that area. Last thing you want is neighbours in their 20s who have so little to do on a weekday that throwing up fingers or gesturing the google car is 'fun'

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

What's your salary op?, Can you save and get a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

https://www.tipperarylive.ie › news › home
    Sold! 23 houses sell for €540k in Tipperary after 'competitive' bidding at ...

Did this not bring some new blood to the area?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

Not entirely relevant but this is ardmore park in waterford, this image was captured in june 2017, in september 2017 a house just down the road from this one sold for 30,000 euro . That car is a 2016 onwards model e class which would have been worth twice what the house that its parked outside was worth then.

Nice to see such a hard worker living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    So it’s Emly then?
    Gun

Yup

Gun

Yup

the buyer will thank their lucky stars somebody else chose to take up that nightmare. Run away OP.

What's your salary op?, Can you save and get a mortgage?

We have a disabled son. I'm currently a full time carer.

There in is the issue. Even though husband works full time banks will not give us a mortgage as I can't work as you physically cannot get childcare for a child who has any kind of disability. The banks have a min earnings requirement and they class my husband as having 2 dependants and husband earns 500 a year below the requirement.

1all I want it's to be able to paint my childs bedroom walls and put down a carpet. His friends parents are being made homeless this week. They don't know what is going to happen.

I have tried every avenue to get a mortgage and we can't even though what we would need the repayments are tiny compared to our rent

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

There in is the issue. Even though husband works full time banks will not give us a mortgage as I can't work as you physically cannot get childcare for a child who has any kind of disability. The banks have a min earnings requirement and they class my husband as having 2 dependants and husband earns 500 a year below the requirement.

1all I want it's to be able to paint my childs bedroom walls and put down a carpet. His friends parents are being made homeless this week. They don't know what is going to happen.

I have tried every avenue to get a mortgage and we can't even though what we would need the repayments are tiny compared to our rent

Can you get a council house, could get a better area and allow you to save?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm sorry you're in this situation Katie. You're clearly worried and gone into serious nesting mode. Given that you have a disabled child, exposing them to an environment like this can only make things worse. Having a nice bedroom you painted yourself is not going to help one iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

€500 per year off what is required? Is there no way your partner could increase their earnings by this amount? It's only €40 a month, surely employer could be approached or is there any possibility of taking a second/ part time job even temporarily to secure approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Not entirely relevant but this is ardmore park in waterford, this image was captured in june 2017, in september 2017 a house just down the road from this one sold for 30,000 euro . That car is a 2016 onwards model e class which would have been worth twice what the house that its parked outside was worth then.

Nice to see such a hard worker living there.

See this every day in area where I work. All corpo houses with Porsche jeeps, top end mercs, bmws etc in the teeny tiny driveways.

Can't understand how this is not looked into. You should not be getting cheap social housing if you can afford an 80,000 jeep.

I worked in a hospital abroad, a Roma who was on social welfare came in and gave me a sheaf of documents as she didn't know the one I needed. Noticed a letter from social welfare telling her they knew she'd bought a wv Passat for 10k, if she had 10k she needed to use it for food etc and so no more social welfare unroll the time in which they estimated she'd have used 10k on "real life" elapsed. Then it would start again.

Imagine that here!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You think things are sh1t now. Give it a few weeks living in that kip and see how you feel. It would be a disaster.

• Advertisement

Saudades wrote: »
    I thought the banks can lend up to 3.5 your salary, no matter how little you earn? Every extra 1,000 counts.
    Or did you mean you don't earn enough for the monthly repayments?

They have a min earnings requirement. They don't take my carers into account

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement