Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in a dodgy area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Can you get a council house, could get a better area and allow you to save?

We are on the list 10 years. We even moved abroad and came back and still waiting

wyndham wrote: »
    €500 per year off what is required? Is there no way your partner could increase their earnings by this amount? It's only €40 a month, surely employer could be approached or is there any possibility of taking a second/ part time job even temporarily to secure approval?

He has spoken to the boss. Not a hope of a payrise. He's not the only one.
    We are looking at sopping roles but we will lose the carers while they reassess him for it. So that's 6 months on one income.
    Property is rising now and it will be 12-18 months before we can look again.

So Frigging frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Or stay renting knowing you could be homeless at any time.

What complete and utter rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Not entirely relevant but this is ardmore park in waterford, this image was captured in june 2017, in september 2017 a house just down the road from this one sold for 30,000 euro . That car is a 2016 onwards model e class which would have been worth twice what the house that its parked outside was worth then.

Nice to see such a hard worker living there.

Not sure that Google street view etc will be much a guide in a few years as a lot can change. Sure they'll update it in time but I wouldn't think there'll be a massive rush to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

It’s a fear a lot of families have unfortunately. Why else would the OP be considering a kip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Members of the Callopys live there, as in the Keane Calloys of Limerick! Have a look at st mary’s park etc .... you would be doing your child a serious disservice moving in there..

http://www.limerickregeneration.org/Dundon2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bythefire

We have a disabled son. I'm currently a full time carer.
    I can't work as you physically cannot get childcare for a child who has any kind of disability.

Op contact your local County Childcare Committee. They will have a list of providers in your area. No child can be turned away from a service regardless of abilities. They will also have information on AIM where a service can get funding for an assistant if a diagnosis is made. Community creche's get more funding than private, they would be your best bet. Have a friend working in a creche.

Can you contact a local politician to see about a council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've no doubt that the OP is fearful that she could lose her tennancy but I'd be fearful that she'd lose her life if she moved in there. That place is an absolute dive.

Run OP. Run fast.

This is one instance where I'd hate to say 'I told you so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Are you working with estate agents to try and find a house as well as looking privately?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

i just had a look at the rest of the Glen estate on google maps. the houses looked nice until i noticed that none of them were occupied. I presume they are now and it's a complete no go area.

As someone once said to me "you can do up your house, but you cant do up your neighbourhood"

Seriously, stay well away OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Buy a detached house on a corner ,you,ll have only one neighbour ,
    do research,
    house x for sale, look for house with 2 people living in it,
    over 40 years of age,
    Avoid house with couple and 2-3 teens living in it,
    older people no kids = quiet house.

Sometimes people buy in a private estate , and end up living live next door to a rented house where theres 4 tenants who have loud partys.
    look at house at 8am, or 8pm,
    no of cars parked out front = no of adults lving there .
    when you say rough area ,i presume you mean working class area ,
    Council estates in dublin now ,90 per cent of houses are now privately
    owned ,owner is 30-40 years old at least.
    People who own a house tend to take care of it,
    and not want to annoy their neighbours .
    re bmws etc in council house,s ,
    most council houses were sold in the 90,s or the aughties .
    So council dont care if you own 3 cars ,or a porche, bmw ,
    even if you rent a house the council will charge you max rent maybe 100 per week.
    far less than a private landlord .
    Almost any tenant who wanted to could buy the house from the council .
    Most rental units the council owns now are apartment blocks or flats
    which they could not sell off for various reasons,
    insurance ,etc
    Unless you think the economy will collapse in a few years ,
    if you buy a house for 150k,
    you,ll be able to sell it for at least 150k,
    in 5 -10 years time .
    Maybe look at old house that needs minor repairs where the garden is big
    enough to build an extension.
    or a House thats maybe 5o minutes commute from where youe husband works .
    i would have thought someone with a handicapped child would
    get priority or extra points on the housing list from the council.
    Maybe go to crosscare for advice.
    https://www.crosscare.ie/

https://www.crosscare.ie/index.php/prevention-homelessness-hom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

We have a disabled son. I'm currently a full time carer.

There in is the issue. Even though husband works full time banks will not give us a mortgage as I can't work as you physically cannot get childcare for a child who has any kind of disability. The banks have a min earnings requirement and they class my husband as having 2 dependants and husband earns 500 a year below the requirement.

1all I want it's to be able to paint my childs bedroom walls and put down a carpet. His friends parents are being made homeless this week. They don't know what is going to happen.

I have tried every avenue to get a mortgage and we can't even though what we would need the repayments are tiny compared to our rent

Sorry to hear of you dilema, a few thoughts:

1) Sounds cliche but Joe Duffy might be your man, pour it on: "we need a small mortgage, my son is disabled and banks are treating my sons disability as an excuse not to give us a mortgage. I want the best of him but we are stuck in a rental and can only afford an undesirable area without getting the small mortgage".

2) Not sure if the central bank have any powers here

3) If you have the cash to buy a house in a dodgy area, if your shortfall to move to a nice area is not too big you could try the credit union?

Renting in the current climate is extremely difficult. It took 6 months to find our current place. Prior to this we were in a 1 bedroom mould infested rat infested kip and the RTB wouldn't do anything as landlord wasnt registered. We had no proof we were actually living there. We had no heating and at one point we had to pay our own tradesmen to replace the shower so we could wash. The electrics were knackered.

Our current home is fine but they have 17/18 Yr teenage kids and what happens in a year or 2 maybe less if the need it for them.

We have to find a home near enough to my child's school as if I move out of the catchment area I won't have anything for him as the waiting lists for schools for children with disabilities are huge as there are a massive shortage of spaces.

It's a huge worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Do you still think buying that house is a good idea? After everything everybody has told you?

Are you working with estate agents to try and find a house as well as looking privately?

God yes. We even tried to rent houses with a view to buying. 1 in particular the guy inherited it and lives abroad. House is vacant and been up for sale 3 years. Very little movement in property in the area.

A year ago we offered to rent it fro. Him with a view to try and getting funding to purchase it. He refused. It's still for sale

Do you still think buying that house is a good idea? After everything everybody has told you?

No although I think the murder was about 10 years ago and the collopys have been moved out of the estate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Could you not apply for the rebuilding Ireland mortgage loan. You have a deposit+ you could then pick a decent area.

Don't risk your life savings on a property that you may not be able to live in due to problems in area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP & OH - I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles.. re bad area for good price - its not until you have had proper bad neighbours and have beat your head against a wall through every logic and state agency trying to get help that you will have the full horror of what bad neighbours and a bad area can be. No matter how bad things are - and they sound grim - do not do it. Cctv means * - even the police will tell you that,an alarm ringing is meaningless,police don't give a toss or are so anethesised that they win't bother and if they even do the 50- 150 prior convictions suspended sentence system should give you an idea - not to mention making an enemy of scum and their extended family by reporting them... ever tried it - or tried to live after it? Normal does not apply. Cooked off their brains on heroin or methadone or dealing night & day - or just recidivist scum with zero morals or sewer values. They exist. We are all just lucky not to have lived alongsode them and endured their filth and vile behaviour. Do not do it - life and people can be a whole lot more evil than you can ever imagine and add to that fear for your wife/child/partner. There is no logic or sense or rational that applies to some people. If you have been told all these things about it then its probably true. And just wait til the fun kicks off with drink/drugs/violence/fighting with knives and you are frightened to come home/be in your house/sleep.

Dosnt the govt now also have a 3 refusals from banks get a cheap mortgage scheme - apply to 3 banks, get refused on paper, apply to.your council for a mortgage. Its probably a far nicer way to live your life & provide for and protect your family .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Sorry for your predicament. A council mortgage is likely your best bet. Under no circumstances should you buy the house OP, think about what kind of life you would have living next to those types of neighbors. There seem to be a fair few houses within 20 minutes drive of Emly to rent however. 5 properties in Tipp town which is about 14km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

You will not make this area nicer. No amount of cctv and calls to the guards will help. More likely make you a target for trouble

Credit union loan on top of what you have is a good suggestion.

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. These are the stories that seem left behind while Mary and her 6 kids never worked or intends to is demanding a house closer to mammy and gets it.

The landlord might not want the house back for a couple of years if I read that right. Anything could happen to housing market in that time. Keep saving

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

OP & OH - I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles.. re bad area for good price - its not until you have had proper bad neighbours and have beat your head against a wall through every logic and state agency trying to get help that you will have the full horror of what bad neighbours and a bad area can be. No matter how bad things are - and they sound grim - do not do it. Cctv means * - even the police will tell you that,an alarm ringing is meaningless,police don't give a toss or are so anethesised that they win't bother and if they even do the 50- 150 prior convictions suspended sentence system should give you an idea - not to mention making an enemy of scum and their extended family by reporting them... ever tried it - or tried to live after it? Normal does not apply. Cooked off their brains on heroin or methadone or dealing night & day - or just recidivist scum with zero morals or sewer values. They exist. We are all just lucky not to have lived alongsode them and endured their filth and vile behaviour. Do not do it - life and people can be a whole lot more evil than you can ever imagine and add to that fear for your wife/child/partner. There is no logic or sense or rational that applies to some people. If you have been told all these things about it then its probably true. And just wait til the fun kicks off with drink/drugs/violence/fighting with knives and you are frightened to come home/be in your house/sleep.

Dosnt the govt now also have a 3 refusals from banks get a cheap mortgage scheme - apply to 3 banks, get refused on paper, apply to.your council for a mortgage. Its probably a far nicer way to live your life & provide for and protect your family .

Well said. Don’t do it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

seasidedub wrote: »
    See this every day in area where I work. All corpo houses with Porsche jeeps, top end mercs, bmws etc in the teeny tiny driveways.

Can't understand how this is not looked into. You should not be getting cheap social housing if you can afford an 80,000 jeep.
    !

Where exactly is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if this has been answered OP but are you convinced not to do it?

I have a horrible niggling feeling that I'll come back to this thread in a few months and read that you bought it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Just googled the house in glen court emly. All I can say is I'm speechless
    Those houses are bloody amazing. Well built and a lovely looking estate. What a pity some scum have ruined it for others!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

See this every day in area where I work. All corpo houses with Porsche jeeps, top end mercs, bmws etc in the teeny tiny driveways.

Can't understand how this is not looked into. You should not be getting cheap social housing if you can afford an 80,000 jeep.
    !

Where exactly is this?

A part of Dublin 12. I could put up photos but data protection etc... not sure if that's legal in our pc world now.

I also accept that it's possible people bought their corpo house and love the area so much that they wanted to stay there even when they became so well off that they are now CEO of a company etc and have a great car. Possible. But there are then a high concentration of such people in the place I'm talking about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Under no circumstances should you buy the house OP, think about what kind of life you would have living next to those types of neighbors.

I think we are all wasting our time.

After all the OP has read in this thread, she still seems to be trying to justify buying a house in that estate.

I appreciate that the OP is very afraid for her families future, but there's a reason that houses in that estate are going for half nothing.

This is my last contribution to this thread.

OP, if you buy that house, you will regret it and end up in a worse situation than you are in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A part of Dublin 12. I could put up photos but data protection etc... not sure if that's legal in our pc world now.

I also accept that it's possible people bought their corpo house and love the area so much that they wanted to stay there even when they became so well off that they are now CEO of a company etc and have a great car. Possible. But there are then a high concentration of such people in the place I'm talking about.....

Did you ever think they have purchassed the house at a steep discount from the councial and are using the money they now have to buy ridiculous cars as opposed to any conspiracy theory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

To the op, I dislike places being stigmatised but if you have a family think very carefully without being sexist its different if you are male, single and look like you can take care of yourself.

If the op is going ahead with it pick somewhere rough around the edges and maybe mixed and older area. I know an area that in one part you would be happy to live but in another horses are keep in the front gardens and they are the same area. Schools are often very well resourced in less well of areas have before and after school care so that is an advantage too. Areas change look at the difference the new children's hospital is makeing to an area that is/was considered very dodgy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement