Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared I’m going to be fired?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I’ve gotten into trouble at work twice because my till was slightly down (€8 the first time €3 the second) I’ve only been working there three weeks. Can they fire me over this? I’m terrified as I badly need this job. I’m also certain it will happen again as in very careful but it still happens. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I’ve gotten into trouble at work twice because my till was slightly down (€8 the first time €3 the second) I’ve only been working there three weeks. Can they fire me over this? I’m terrified as I badly need this job. I’m also certain it will happen again as in very careful but it still happens. Thank you.
    Don't panic, happens regularly

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It happens, I wouldnt worry too much about it. I assume its a till where you scan everything? IE: No manual calculation required? The reason I ask, is that the float could be slightly down in the morning, and this is why there is a discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

New people trained on tills will nearly always make a few mistakes so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Usually on tills you enter the amount the customer gives you and the till works out the change.

Double check the money you’re giving back to the customer against this amount before you give them the change. You’ll be flying in no time.

Congrats on the new job btw! Don’t sweat it, you’re bound to make little mistakes but once you learn from them that’s all that matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

As above probably minor issues.

But yes they can fire you in an instant if you are only there 3 weeks, you have literally no rights and are on "probation".

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

I'd assume you're not the only person working on a till, so maybe ask some of your colleagues what is considered a normal amount of errors. If you don't feel confident enough to ask directly, just get chatting and ask them what it was like for them when they were starting out, they'll probably give you the info you want easily enough.

• Advertisement

let yr supervisor know youre a little worried and check for assurance

theyll be anxious to keep a decent worker and of its training and youre willing to ask and improve they are lucky to have you (and should know it)

Advertisement