Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL Certificate: cost?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

When I login to my website on Safari on my iPhone, I get Not Secure in the address bar.

When I login to it on a computer, via Firefox for example, I don't get a warning. But, maybe it's indicated somewhere else in Firefox?

Anyway....

Why is my site not secure in the first place? (It's hosted by Register365)

Do I need an SSL cert? I'm told it would improve my Google search rankings - though as a sole trader working locally, that's not a huge deal.

Assuming I need a cert...

Register365, have quoted €65 per annum or €100 (both plus VAT) for two years.

What's the received wisdom on these SSL certificates?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The fact that you get or do not get the warning may mean different things, depending on device, software used, and the certificate itself.
    As an example, different devices trust different certificate authorities (CA). One device may consider a certificate signed by a certain CA to be secure, while a different device might think the CA is not legit, and show you the warning.

I would recommend running your website through an SSL Checker, for example this or this.

If your site is hosted and served under their domain (e.g. yoursite.hostname.com) then the certificate is provided for you by the host. If you have your own DNS (e.g. www.yourcompany.com), then you must provide the SSL certificate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dinarius wrote: »
    When I login to my website on Safari on my iPhone, I get Not Secure in the address bar.

When I login to it on a computer, via Firefox for example, I don't get a warning. But, maybe it's indicated somewhere else in Firefox?

Anyway....

Why is my site not secure in the first place? (It's hosted by Register365)

Do I need an SSL cert? I'm told it would improve my Google search rankings - though as a sole trader working locally, that's not a huge deal.

Assuming I need a cert...

Register365, have quoted €65 per annum or €100 (both plus VAT) for two years.

What's the received wisdom on these SSL certificates?

Thanks.

D.
    It doesn't mean it's not secure but Google likes to see it and we need to make Google happy! Just get the SSL and be done with it, it's really not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LetsEncrypt is FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

you can do it free on cloudflare too

Yeah cloudflare should work. Letsencrypt is free, but almost no Irish hosting companies support it because they want to price gouge on their own ssl certs. You can also buy your own cert for $8/yr or so
    https://cheapsslsecurity.com/

If you buy one, you will need to generate a CSR which gives you public and private keys - there are tools to do this online for you, and you will need to prove you own the domain by uploading a specific file to a specific location on your hosting. They will then issue the cert which can be installed through the hosting control panel.

• Advertisement

Hoping not to offend but from Dinarius' post history I would say he/she has a proactive attitude but not a strong technical background. A turnkey solution might be most appropriate. A renewal cropping up when they're away on holiers could be a right mess etc.

ED E wrote: »
    Hoping not to offend but from Dinarius' post history I would say he/she has a proactive attitude but not a strong technical background. A turnkey solution might be most appropriate. A renewal cropping up when they're away on holiers could be a right mess etc.

No offense taken at all. I don't like the cloudflare solution for a number of reasons, so the best plan might be to migrate the site to hosting that does offer autorenewing free Letsencrypt certs. Many providers will offer a free site transfer as part of the deal.

Was more concerned about offending the OP by classing them as a non nerd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Apologies for jumping on this thread.
    I use Blacknight and they say that-
    At this time we do not support Let's Encrypt on our Shared Hosting servers.

However, it may be possible to install an already existing Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate - provided that you have the Certificate and the Private Key associated with it (just like a regular SSL Certificate).

link

I contacted them and they said-
    It is saying you may not be able to generate a CSr and validate the freee SSL, however, if you have already generated it, you can install it as per the following;

https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/articles/212522609-How-to-install-an-SSL-cert

I'll give it a shot anyway.
    Pa.

Advertisement