Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JFK connection

• 17-06-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I appreciate this has likely been asked before, but threads I found via the search function were 1+ year old.

I'm looking at travelling to North Carolina for work in September; most of the flights require a connection, most typically in JFK, Detroit or Boston. I would be travelling from London, so no preclearance.

How much time would you advise for the layover in JFK? One option I'm looking at would arrive in Terminal 4, with the connecting flight with Delta (so Terminal 2). The layover is 2 hours, 41 minutes. Is that too tight, given the change of terminal etc? The last time I was in JFK, I sailed through immigration with almost no queue, but I know it can vary massively. I would probably also travel only with hand luggage, as it will only be a 4-5 day trip.

Any insights welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

If you get stuck behind a plane load of visa required nations or other difficult nations you will be goosed.

I would be allowing 3 hours plus for the transit at JFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

If Delta are selling the ticket then they are confident you'll make the connection. You'll have plenty of time unless there's a huge delay. If you want to be really safe, check if there's a later flight to your destination to get on if you miss the earlier one. Your flight may leave from either T2 or T4 - they swap them around a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Depending where in NC, I'd look at connecting in Dublin with AA as they fly to Charlotte. Might that be an option or do you have to fly Delta?

2hrs 41 mins is tight even if your incoming flight is on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Depending where in NC, I'd look at connecting in Dublin with AA as they fly to Charlotte. Might that be an option or do you have to fly Delta?

2hrs 41 mins is tight even if your incoming flight is on time.

Charlotte not really an option as it's almost 200 miles from where I'll be, and I'm not hiring a car etc. Need to get to Raleigh.

Another option was to connect in Detroit, with almost 3 hours between flights, which seems a bit better since I imagine it's a slightly smaller airport. That, or connect in Paris & fly to Raleigh from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

DTW is actually HUGE but it may have less incoming international flights than say, JFK. I've connected there but domestic to domestic. Given DTW as an option with 3 hours, I'd take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

gutenberg wrote: »
    Charlotte not really an option as it's almost 200 miles from where I'll be, and I'm not hiring a car etc. Need to get to Raleigh.

Another option was to connect in Detroit, with almost 3 hours between flights, which seems a bit better since I imagine it's a slightly smaller airport. That, or connect in Paris & fly to Raleigh from there.

Is there not still a direct AA flight to RDU from London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Regularly did this trip. Always went through Heathrow directly to Raleigh with American Airlines

Advertisement