Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Ascot, Day 1 18/06/2019

• 17-06-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

The summer Cheltenham has arrived. Its probably the only race meeting I care about until the November meeting :rolleyes:

I'm going to give Beat the Bank another go in the Queen Anne after disappointing in the Lockinge. There is no superstar in this race. de Sousa and the Kingpower connections are due a big one.
    Jukebox Jive looks too big at 33/1 in the 5:00. He has the highest RPR.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Probably only bet of the week for me and its day 1 race 1 - Barney Roy. Really like how he quickened up to take the gap and win with his ears pricked last time out, I know its a big step up class-wise but that run confirmed to my eyes anyway that the ability remains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I think Mustashry is underestimated in the Queen Anne especially with the ground coming in his favour and don't like Le Brivido's price at all. A bit worried though by Stoute's very recent form, 3 beaten favourites out his last 3 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Phoenix of Spain and Riven Light my two bets for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

I see Ladbrokes have gone 9/4 about Phoenix of Spain. Was hoping for such a move.
    Think he is a good bet at that. Too Darn Hot is practically the same price. I cant be having that in the slightest.

I havent completely gone through the card in any great detail yet. Still grinds me that they got rid of the Wolferton handicap and made it a stakes race. But id be sure there is value to be had their as i dont like anthing at the top of the market. Early thoughts are how in the name of god is Zihba 40/1. I will 100% be having him along with most likely another selction in that. Will see if somewhere i can get on goes 4 places at those kind of prices.

I will probably bet Battash also at 2/1 or so. But be willing to leave him run at anything under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Battaash my only bet tomorrow at 2s

Have lumped on Fleeting on Thursday in the Ribblesdale so taking it easy till then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

tryfix wrote: »
    I think Mustashry is underestimated in the Queen Anne especially with the ground coming in his favour and don't like Le Brivido's price at all. A bit worried though by Stoute's very recent form, 3 beaten favourites out his last 3 runners.

I wouldn't be. With Ascot around the corner it's fair to say that the horses yards like Stoute's are putting out in the last week are the bottom of the barrel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Ascot 5.00 Stayers Handicap

Keith Dalgleish has had 5 winners today.

His only entry tomorrow is Mixboy. The horse is an average nine year old, however Paddy Power are offering 33/1 and paying 6 places. He will have to beat some better horses but he is not a pig. He has won 11 races over hurdles and the flat in the past 3 years. Given the trainers' recent form I am having a bet. The trainer must give it a chance as there are a lot of other options available for connections over the summer and they are bringing it here.

There are definitely better horses in the race, but he could easily sneak a place.

Ascot amarach

2.30 Laurens , Sharja Bridge
    3.05 Pin Job
    3.40 Battash , ( I will end up having a saver on Imprimis )
    4.20 Jamie Spencer ( hon Jamie get him up )
    5.00 Mixboy , Snow Falcon ( a Royal winner for Noel Meade would be savage )
    5.35 Riven Light ( for cry baby, although my mental debate on whether or not I would trust him continues, I probably still don't)

I hope everyone gets a rake of winners. Good luck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What's the ground like lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

3.05 Threat 5/2

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    What's the ground like lads?

Good, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

redarmy wrote: »
    3.05 Threat 5/2

Must be the worst priced horse of the week. Hannons 2 year olds are useless.

He's seen huge support in the market over last few days has Threat. Now as low as 9/4

He must be showing something special at home

Richard Hannon speaking about Threat

"For one of ours to win first time out he must be good, and he will have improved massively since".

"His homework has been exceptional and think he might be one of the best two-year-olds we have had in the yard for a while"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Andrew00 wrote: »
    He's seen huge support in the market over last few days has Threat. Now as low as 9/4

He must be showing something special at home

Hugh Taylor put it up this morning and it’s price has been falling since.

I think there will be better 5/2 shots around this week. I was only going to start a thread here last week titled " whatever happened to Richard Hannon". If you ask me it has gone to pot since his dad is out of the picture. I hope for his sake he doesn't turn into the next David Pipe.

As I said there will be much better winners this week if you sniff around. Taking 5/2 about a gang of 2 year olds is not a good idea, particularly if your getting stuck into it. He was first of four in a maiden ffs, hardly rock solid form.

Ahh if Hugh Taylor put it up then that explains price crash

I wouldn't back it with free money myself. Avoiding the Coventry and Queen Anne Stakes for that matter

Arizona probably wins but Royal Lytham for me each way.

And Riven Light in the last. Got a disgusting ride from Keane lto and can make amends here.

Arizona probably wins but Royal Lytham for me each way.

And Riven Light in the last. Got a disgusting ride from Keane lto and can make amends here.

Think Royal Lytham has great potential alright, not so wild about Riven Light. Joseph O'Brien's targeting of the race with Latrobe feels like a move worth following.

Would love to see Too Darn Hot hack up by 8 lengths or so tomorrow, money aside.

His 2 runs this season werent even bad considering the circumstances with his injury and then flying over to Ireland and coming 2nd in Irish guineas

I think he will put up a bold show tomorrow and has now gone favourite as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Threat at 11/4 is the only one I fancy tomorrow

I think Royal Lytham is a great shout at 20-1.

The Gleneagles breeding is the biggest positive for me. He has been in the winners already and Coolmore would love to get a Royal Ascot win for Gleneagles in his first season.

I think Zoffany nearly swept the board in the 2yrolds a few years ago. Certainly Washington Dc anyway.

I have had a few "teeth saver" bets just there.
    Basically a few chances that if they improve a length or two could be anything. The main purpose of these bets is to avoid any unnecessary damage to the kitchen table later tonight , you get the picture.

2.30 hazapour
    3.40 equilateral, signora cabello
    4.20 king of comedy
    5.35 zihba

Small "justncasey" singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

14:30 Mustashry
    15:05 Threat
    15:40 Blue Point
    16:20 King Of Comedy

Has the ground gone soft?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

All about Laurens today. All aboard!

Has the ground gone soft?

Good on the straight course.
    Good, Good to Soft in places on the round course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

14:30 Laurens
    15:05 guildsman
    15:40 Sergei Prokofiev
    16:20 king of comedy
    17:00 kerosin
    17:35 riven light

Good luck everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

2.30 Romanised 33/1 4 places 0.5 pts ew
    3.05 Royal Lytham 16/1 4 places 0.5 pts ew
    3.40 Blue Point 11/4 2 pts win
    4.20 Too Darn Hot 2/1 3 pts win
    5.00 Snow Falcon 14/1 5 places 1 pt ew
    5.35 Latrobe 7/1 1 pt win

GL all today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Re the Coventry Stakes, I got two texts yesterday via different friends.

1st was " Threat in Coventry tomorrow, Hannon says it's his best horse since Canford Cliffs "

and then

2nd was " The word is Threat tomorrow is a certainty. We all know that it isn't as simple as that but the msg I just received said boys from Hannons Herridge yard say it is a certainty for tomorrow "

Flip side of that is Arizona is apparently O'Brien's best two year old. I lumped on Threat but might do a RFC to cover.

I would have thought that Monarch of Egypt was Aidans best 2yo at this stage. Was he not the number 1 for this race before having a small setback?

The Coventry is a tricky race and tbh id want a hell of a lot more than 3/1 about a horse in a race like this purely because people reckon he is the best horse since xxxx. He very well may win but there is a price to find out.

Have had fair few bets (for me) today
    Queen Anne: Dutched Lord Glitters @20/(1 point) and Romanised @33/1(1 point)
    King Stand: Battash @9/4(2 points)
    St James Palace: Phoenix of Spain @9/4(4 points)
    Wolferton: Willie John @9/1(1 point), very small bets on Zihba @130(.25 points) and Mountain Hunter @150(.25 points) on Betfair.

*Will see if i can turn a profit over the week so will added points beside selections above to give people a rough idea of bet sizing.
    There will be each way bets but ones i can get on today nothing really doing on the each way front from me.

Staked: 9.5 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

blue point
    phoenix of spain see no reason why he won't beat too darn hot again and amazed that too darn hot is a shorter price in some lists
    Arizona hard to see past it after that win last time out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I went for Van Beethoven on the podcast at 100/1 . EW, but he is 50/1 EW with bet365 with 5 places.

I'll do some hat eating if he isn't in the 5.. Getting 10/1 looks huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hazapour
    Too Darn Hot

My only two bets for the day due to lack of flat knowledge :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

aidankkk wrote: »
    I went for Van Beethoven on the podcast at 100/1 . EW, but he is 50/1 EW with bet365 with 5 places.

I'll do some hat eating if he isn't in the 5.. Getting 10/1 looks huge.

I've followed you on this, Aidan. As soon I saw his name in the race I was expecting you to put him up. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Barney Roy has to be backed in the first. Even being close to the 2017 Ascot form and he will win it. Obviously didn't act on soft in the champion stakes and back from a long layoff when 2nd to Zaaki, so not too worried about him having lost his ability. Also, William Hill have gone 5 places!

I think Doyle will have a good Ascot week. Also keen to see how Skardu gets on at 9/1 (was 12s last night!), he has ran admirably so far this season. If a race pans out to suit him he could improve the few lengths needed to overturn the form from the Guineas. Big price once again imo.

I also think Doyle will take the beating on Blue Point in the 3.40. Think he will go off favourite and should be favourite.

Think Couer De Lion will go off favourite in the 5.00 (he is just fav atm) and is the only horse in that race that I would consider backing.

If the ground ends up a bit soft by end of day I reckon Adeybb could spring a win in the last, otherwise I don't really fancy anything in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

One bet for today and that's Battaash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Luap wrote: »
    One bet for today and that's Battaash

Wonder will he have his gold plated shoes on today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Battash runs his race, Battash wins
    2/1 will seem huge after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Had my fingers badly burnt on Battash on this day last year.

Lot of people very quick to overlook his off days, bookies love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Hazapour, Guildsman, Blue Point, Circus Maximus, Fun Mac & Willie John. No money down but like to pick in each race & see how much i would have won....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

14.30 Mutashry

15.05 Arizona

15.40 Imprimis

16.20 King Of Comedy

Mine for today best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bludcrazetiger

Barney Roy 11/2 is the first
    using sky 20e, money back as cash if 2nd,3rd,4th.

3.05 - monoski 10/1 (ew 4 places sky)

340 battash (antepost double with strav 10/1)

420 shaman ew (12/1) put into an ew trixie
    500 Coeur de lion 13/2 (ew Trixie)
    535 elarqam 9/2 ( ew Trixie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Went E.W on Le Brivido @ 6/1 in the 2.30 Race is wide open. Not liking mustashry or barney.

*Moving to Ascot thread.

Billy Lee had some shocker there. Great ride by Danny Tudhope on the winner considering he absolutely hates being in front. Needs to come late.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Good result for the bookies...Mustashry was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Had my fingers badly burnt on Battash on this day last year.

Lot of people very quick to overlook his off days, bookies love that.

Me too, remember almost counting my money 2 out
    Can't go through that again

Have had fair few bets (for me) today
    Queen Anne: Dutched Lord Glitters @20/(1 point) and Romanised @33/1(1 point)
    King Stand: Battash @9/4(2 points)
    St James Palace: Phoenix of Spain @9/4(4 points)
    Wolferton: Willie John @9/1(1 point), very small bets on Zihba @130(.25 points) and Mountain Hunter @150(.25 points) on Betfair.

*Will see if i can turn a profit over the week so will added points beside selections above to give people a rough idea of bet sizing.
    There will be each way bets but ones i can get on today nothing really doing on the each way front from me.

Staked: 9.5 points

Great stuff.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Good result for the bookies...Mustashry was terrible.

Actually cost romanized as he went to follow him and was too slow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement