Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

board level repair training courses out in Shenzen? anyone got experiences?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

hi I'm a retired computer tech

recently the idea to low level repair macbooks & iphones got me interested again in going back to work more for the craic of it

to be clear I don't mean just parts replacement, I mean to a microsoldering level repair when necessary

I'd like to learn how to do this & build a lab with the eventual aim of repair work maybe with some charitable angle

I noted there is a bit of a craze around the subject of self-repair which I'd wholeheartedly agree with & loads of people have very excellent how-to vids on youtube done via their microscope pov etc. & typically in the discussion threads there will be the mention of some recommended training school or associated lab equipment supply crowd (maybe I'm a cynic but sometimes it looks a little suspect) & I'm looking for info on any real-life experiences of that world please

if any of ye on boards have attended one of the training schools out in Shenzen (some in US too I see) to learn & built their own lab any hints/tips appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

martco wrote: »
    hi I'm a retired computer tech

recently the idea to low level repair macbooks & iphones got me interested again in going back to work more for the craic of it

to be clear I don't mean just parts replacement, I mean to a microsoldering level repair when necessary

I'd like to learn how to do this & build a lab with the eventual aim of repair work maybe with some charitable angle

I noted there is a bit of a craze around the subject of self-repair which I'd wholeheartedly agree with & loads of people have very excellent how-to vids on youtube done via their microscope pov etc. & typically in the discussion threads there will be the mention of some recommended training school or associated lab equipment supply crowd (maybe I'm a cynic but sometimes it looks a little suspect) & I'm looking for info on any real-life experiences of that world please

if any of ye on boards have attended one of the training schools out in Shenzen (some in US too I see) to learn & built their own lab any hints/tips appreciated

thanks

haven't attended any of them but i follow rewa on youtube, they do courses and they know there stuff, pricey though. in the states theres a group that do one that could be good. jessa jones from ipadrehab and louis rossman run it best to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

thanks @deafroadrunner

yes, the lads you mentioned there turned up in my research too

the REWA stuff looks so impressive for sure, very slick (to the point I'd started to check out flights & accom)
    I tried contacting them, after a couple of weeks I eventually managed to get a response on some specifics questions I had around their lab gear sales but there was a couple of holes in the story. I also watched some of the vids where prior students are singing their praises slightly ott bit too professional. ok I thought I'll do a bit more research & I can't find much of anything to go off even on Reddit.

maybe it's a fear of the unknown in me about taking a trip to China...but there's hard cash involved too. you could get burnt easy. or it could be the best thing I ever did for myself. to my mind Shenzen is the place to goto to learn this stuff but I'm not convinced language/culture barriers would get in the way (even if the thing is completely kosher)

that ipadrehab crowd? very impressive, entertaining even. now they do seem very professional & I wouldn't have the same fears on the barriers to learning but the expense I think would be prohibitive for me. I see they are even offering training for law enforcement people which indicates to me they're serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

martco wrote: »
    thanks @deafroadrunner

yes, the lads you mentioned there turned up in my research too

the REWA stuff looks so impressive for sure, very slick (to the point I'd started to check out flights & accom)
    I tried contacting them, after a couple of weeks I eventually managed to get a response on some specifics questions I had around their lab gear sales but there was a couple of holes in the story. I also watched some of the vids where prior students are singing their praises slightly ott bit too professional. ok I thought I'll do a bit more research & I can't find much of anything to go off even on Reddit.

maybe it's a fear of the unknown in me about taking a trip to China...but there's hard cash involved too. you could get burnt easy. or it could be the best thing I ever did for myself. to my mind Shenzen is the place to goto to learn this stuff but I'm not convinced language/culture barriers would get in the way (even if the thing is completely kosher)

that ipadrehab crowd? very impressive, entertaining even. now they do seem very professional & I wouldn't have the same fears on the barriers to learning but the expense I think would be prohibitive for me. I see they are even offering training for law enforcement people which indicates to me they're serious.

Tbh I never looked in rewa that much. On the surface they look legit and some of the videos they’ve done have gotten me out of a hole.

The us crowd are are definitely serious enough. They are the people involved in trying to get whole “right to repair” law legalized.

Advertisement