Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi calling

• 17-06-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone find wifi calling inconsistent i.e. it switches to wifi calling sometimes when the cellular signal is low and other times it doesn’t, even when the cellular signal is low or airplane mode is on and wifi is on?

I’m with Vodafone by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hi,

Anyone find wifi calling inconsistent i.e. it switches to wifi calling sometimes when the cellular signal is low and other times it doesn’t, even when the cellular signal is low or airplane mode is on and wifi is on?

WiFi calling on Vodafone? Didn’t know they allowed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

pad199207 wrote: »
    WiFi calling on Vodafone? Didn’t know they allowed it.

They do for a few months now but not on PAYG or business plans.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They do for a few months now but not on PAYG or business plans.

Nor on the cheaper SIM-only plans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have it on eir.
    I live in a bad estate for reception and WiFi calling makes absolute no difference.

WhatsApp calling is much better in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I came here to ask a similar question to the OP.

I'm on Eir (have been for 2 years) and have used wifi calling from time to time since its been released. I've recently tried leaving it on all the time and noticed it usually is not working when connected to wifi in an area with weak signal. If I toggle airplane mode it will usually turn back on, and stay like that for a while (maybe a day or so) and then not work until I toggle it again.

I'm using an iPhone X, latest software and no other issues with the handset. Does anyone else see similar behaviour? Wondering is it an issue with Eir, my phone or iOS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dave oc wrote: »

I'm on Eir (have been for 2 years) and have used wifi calling from time to time since its been released. I've recently tried leaving it on all the time and noticed it usually is not working when connected to wifi in an area with weak signal. If I toggle airplane mode it will usually turn back on, and stay like that for a while (maybe a day or so) and then not work until I toggle it again.

I'm using an iPhone X, latest software and no other issues with the handset. Does anyone else see similar behaviour? Wondering is it an issue with Eir, my phone or iOS.

I’m using an X too.
    I will Always have the WiFi calling text scroll across the screen but it makes no difference to call quality.

I like 6 doors from my parents and we always call each other on WhatsApp.

dave oc wrote: »

It can be a strange one alright. I think it depends on how that particular wifi network is set up. It will not work on all wifi networks for some reason. Probably ports being blocked by the operator.

It can be a strange one alright. I think it depends on how that particular wifi network is set up. It will not work on all wifi networks for some reason. Probably ports being blocked by the operator.

Well I can get it to work with most wifi networks but it wont switch to wifi calling automatically. Today for example, got to work where I connect to wifi and had wifi calling working yesterday. Phone just displayed Eir in top left corner. I toggled on airplane mode and a few seconds later wifi calling is displayed (still in airplane mode). Switch off airplane mode and it still works fine until now. Toggling wifi off and on doesnt not have the same effect.

I dont see any posts with a similar issue for other networks or phone anywhere on the web, so I'm starting to think my phone might be the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

doesnt work at all for me and it should, vodafone red connect iphone xs max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have it Meteor/Eir

It’s only half implemented on their side.
    The handover to WiFi to cellular was never done. Also seems to drop calls if you have a couple of WiFi access points and move between them.

It’s mostly enabled for me ... sometimes I have to toggle airplane mode.

Call quality is great when it works compared to my dodgy mobile signal at home

• Advertisement

I have it with eir and overall it work quite well, anytime I’m on WiFi it’s on WiFi call. If the WiFi is bad though it can work quite badly so I’ve had to disable it once or twice if connected to very poor WiFi.

I spend some time in a place that has no eir network coverage at all, no service across the screen but as there is WiFi I’ve often been able to take/make network calls and it’s been great for that. I’ve used it abroad too (outside the EU) to make and take calls over the network for free but I got caught out once where it switched to the network so I’d im going that not I disable the network so at work you get cut off not charge a fortune.

It’s a brilliant feature if they could improve it a bit, WhatsApp, FaceTime etc is all well and good for planned calls with family etc but for making taking normal call, people trying to contact you etc it’s great to be on the network even with poor or no coverage.

I'm still seeing issues. I've reset network settings yesterday to see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Roychi

Hi,

Same with Vodafone €80 per month, iPhone XS, the WiFi calling working fine for a week then working inconsistently now.

Before when I turn on Airplane mode, leave WiFi on , Vodafone WiFi calling show up in about 10-20 second, and now never show up. Try many way and I find out, turn off WiFi make a 4G/ VOLTE call, then turn on WiFi WiFi calling back. I don’t know what causing this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have an iPhone 6se and am with Eir. They can’t offer me WiFi calling and I’m really stuck now. We’ve moved into a new house and the insulation is such that I have to go outside to make a phone call. What are my options other than WiFi calling? WhatsApp doesn’t work if people are calling me from landlines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Move to a plan that has Wifi Calling? I'm with Eir (but on a Wifi Calling plan) with a similar insulated house and have zero issues, but there is a serious difference between my Vodafone sim (eir is like 1 bar 4G, Vodafone is 4 bars 4G).

Repeaters are legal now so you could get one to boost signal inside your home. I think repeaters are going to be required a lot more going forward as houses get more insulated etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Move to a plan that has Wifi Calling? I'm with Eir (but on a Wifi Calling plan) with a similar insulated house and have zero issues, but there is a serious difference between my Vodafone sim (eir is like 1 bar 4G, Vodafone is 4 bars 4G).

They say they can’t support my iOS

Anyone having issues with Wifi Calling today on an iPhone when at home using Vodafone broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

funnily i just got an sms from vodafone last week to say wifi calling was now available on vodafone and now it works

Anybody have dropouts with WiFi calling ... as in the call drops in first 10 seconds?

Next attempt the calls usually works fine

Very frustrating... would love to turn it off but mobile signal is poor where I live

Eir network btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Anybody have dropouts with WiFi calling ... as in the call drops in first 10 seconds?

Next attempt the calls usually works fine

Very frustrating... would love to turn it off but mobile signal is poor where I live

Eir network btw

I have the same issue and I often don't get any ring back tone

Headshot wrote: »
    I have the same issue and I often don't get any ring back tone

Are you on Eir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Are you on Eir?

Yup

Eir’s WiFi calling is dreadful ... just drops all the time.

Mobile signal is poor where I live - so would love if worked

Is Vodafone’s implementation any better for people?

Advertisement