Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Action Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I think we're too meek and beaten down to have out own Yellow Vest movement in response to these taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

El_Bee wrote: »
    But the same people acknowledge that Automation is now and will continue to cause the labour market to shrink,Transport alone is going to change radically in the next 30 years or so, driving as a job will cease to exist.

That remains to be seen. But let's be realistic here, no politician is going to talk about restricting family sizes any time soon, so it's not even worth discussing.

That remains to be seen. But let's be realistic here, no politician is going to talk about restricting family sizes any time soon, so it's not even worth discussing.

No we're never going to have a Chinese system of one child families, not in this century anyway, but a google search of "child free life" definitely underlines a nudge towards that lifestyle by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Other than the wealthy or those fully funded by the state, family size is restricted by economics. The need for a couple to work and some of the highest child care costs in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Other than the wealthy or those fully funded by the state, family size is restricted by economics. The need for a couple to work and some of the highest child care costs in the world.

So Miriam O'Callaghan and Mags Cash are ok but the rest of us have financial contraception :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Or....we could restrict population growth and allow the other changes to happen organically, not be forced upon us at great cost.

Generally I would be in favour of people having less kids - If anyone is interested in one of mine they can PM me for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So Miriam O'Callaghan and Mags Cash are ok but the rest of us have financial contraception

Crèche cost of circa 1200 a month has an impact on family, to suggest differently is idiocy. The wrong sectors of society are multiplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Who's going to pay for all the retrofitting of houses to BER B2 standard and installation of heat pumps to replace gas and oil boilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If we figured out how to redistribute wealth better, it would help resolve many of our environmental issues

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Who's going to pay for all the retrofitting of houses to BER B2 standard and installation of heat pumps to replace gas and oil boilers?

Jesus himself.

It's on page 42 of "the plan".

I jest the plan isn't costed.

How could it be? It's a load of nonsense.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote:

Our monetary systems are currently operating in a highly dysfunctional way, it can be done, if the will was there, but its not really

In the long term it will save money and energy.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If we figured out how to redistribute wealth better, it would help resolve many of our environmental issues

They've tried that here and there in the 20th century, it killed more people than car crashes, heart disease and cancer combined.

El_Bee wrote:
    They've tried that here and there in the 20th century, it killed more people than car crashes, heart disease and cancer combined.

Gimme a break, we re in the 21st century now, we ve moved on from the past, there's simply very little will to change wealth distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In the long term it will save money and energy.

Sure but who's going to pay for the upfront capital cost? Bringing houses up to B2 and installation of heat pumps (and ripping out boilers) is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

All Good ideas yes but people won't be able to afford the changes in the short to medium term

So I think it's a bit over ambitious, unless there are grant systems in place and cheep ways of making all these changes it will fail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

marvin80 wrote: »

Not a word about aviation - surely we should be reducing the amount of flights and not planning on another runway in Dublin if we're really serious about climate change.
    God forbid you want to restrict people leaving this country??? , i want to make sure all runways servicable so i can spend my retirement elsewhere rather than staying in a controlling expensive sh*tehole of a country in 30 years time.

Micky 32 wrote:
    God forbid you want to restrict people leaving this country??? , i want to make sure all runways servicable so i can spend my retirement elsewhere rather than staying in a controlling expensive sh*tehole of a country in 30 years time.

Ireland isn't too bad at all, spend some time in a poorer developing nation, and you ll see what problems are

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ireland isn't too bad at all, spend some time in a poorer developing nation, and you ll see what problems are

I don’t need educating on different nations by you, but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

And that's all it is about, the extraction of more money from individuals primarily. Increase taxation, do sweet F all except shovel the money int banks and their own pockets, feather the nests of their friends, relations and cronies then private jet off to Brussels to do their little cap clutching Paddy dance for their masters to get their heads patted.

You have hit the nail on the head there. All people will do is roll over and comply and as long as those who have never worked a day in their lives with council houses have enough to go to the off-licence and watch Sky Sports on their oversized TVs the government will do nothing. They don't care about the struggles of families living in hotel rooms, the short-term unemployed, the working poor or couples in their 30s struggling to get the deposit together for a house. Taxpayers are there to be fleeced beyond starvation. i have nothing against council houses but people who milk the system get away with far too much here.
    I think we're too meek and beaten down to have out own Yellow Vest movement in response to these taxes.

The Republic of Ireland is the only country in the EU that has mandatory fluoridation of all municipal water supplies. It's supposed to help our teeth, the government's way of trying to address the prohibitive cost of dental treatment in this country. If a side-effect is keeping the population docile all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

But the same people acknowledge that Automation is now and will continue to cause the labour market to shrink,Transport alone is going to change radically in the next 30 years or so, driving as a job will cease to exist.

We've never had as much automation as today.

Employment is high in most countries today.

There are labour shortages in some sectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Higher carbon taxes, higher property taxes, combined with lower marginal income taxes on working - all sounds good to me.

Geuze wrote: »
    We've never had as much automation as today.

Employment is high in most countries today.

There are labour shortages in some sectors.

We're on the ledge, transport, warehousing, retail even office work is going to see massive changes in the next few decades, which in our short term way of seeing things is way off in the distance, but it is coming and cannot be handwaved.

All Good ideas

I'm not actually sure that's true, what's the environmental impact of removing the used car market for what 5-10 years until stocks are built up?
    So I think it's a bit over ambitious, unless there are grant systems in place and cheep ways of making all these changes it will fail

Grants usually get swallowed up and added to prices.

It's not really a plan at all if it isn't costed, is it?

It's the equivalent of a Joni Mitchell song, annoying but quite noble, but at the end of the complete aspirational nonsense.

In fact they should have just drove around Dublin in that electric bus blaring out Big Yellow Taxi until they ran out of charge.

Same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Anyone who was wondering why RTE were pumping out Climate Change pieces in the last few months, well now you know why

Great bit of astroturfing there

We're on the ledge, transport, warehousing, retail even office work is going to see massive changes in the next few decades, which in our short term way of seeing things is way off in the distance, but it is coming and cannot be handwaved.

They said the same thing about the spinning jenny.

All though that did increase slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

we need to plant more trees we have missed our national planting target for the last few years by more than half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

jmayo wrote: »
    I wish the fookers, quite a few of them around here at every opportunity, who are so gunho to screw agriculture would just feck off.

Agriculture is the only true fooking indigenous large scale employer we have.

And it is fooking marvellous how many eejits in this country actually believe the hype about how great we are what with the value of our current exports.

And they totally forget that if the tax regime changes somewhere else all those FDI multinationals will be off like a lot of FDI manufacturers did in the past.

Or agri industry is going nowhere and will still be here, so stop fooking trying to screw it up.

This plan is a load of shyte that was concocted because someone in FG figured out there are green votes to be had and Leo the spiv wants to look good.

What will the massive annual cash cow that is the fossil fuel motorist going to be replaced with ?

How will all these electric cars charge ?

Oh yeah we had a great spiel this morning from that backstabber Bruton about wind farms and renewables.

Except he fails to mention about what happens when the wind fails to blow and what happens when all those green supporters start complaining about the planning for all the necessary wind farms in the first place.

This is another national broadband plan and we see how that has gone.

If they really gave a shyte and had any long term planning they would have more electric public transport bar the one they showed up on and the other two.

And as someone else said earlier, it doesn't matter what the fook we do if Asia and the states do shag all.
    And that will only start happening when some of those feckers are knee deep in water.

They're coming for the farmers land, thats what all the anti farming propaganda is about
    The rug will be pulled from under small farmers in time
    Farmers are being given easy access to loans in order to boost production, improve the land etc
    The plug will be pulled and thousands of farmers will be forced to give up their land

Quite a significant percentage of farmland in Ireland is now owned by Hedge funds, Vulture funds and foreign 'investors'
    This is being kept very quiet by the Irish media

fergus1001 wrote: »
    we need to plant more trees we have missed our national planting target for the last few years by more than half

They might need to because when coal and briquettes go up with carbon tax everyone will be cutting their trees down for firewood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You'll have to do it yourself but with grants. It's already going on now AFAIK. Mandatory heat pumps are for new builds from 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fergus1001 wrote: »
    That's in there too in Section 11, starting from Page 95.

Advertisement