Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for multi-million euro redevelopment of Galway Racecourse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Down over 3000 on last year which was also down on the previous year. That's in spite of the much better weather for this year too in comparison to three days of downpours last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »
    2006 was as the height of Bertie's Bubble, people had tonnes of money to throw away.
    I was on Shop Street last night at midnight and it was the usual Races mayhem.

2011 was 3 years into the crash. Looking at numbers, it seems the crowd then was much bigger too. Numbers seem to keep falling. Don't know if it's a money thing. It could be a change of taste in the 30 and 40 somethings.

The surprise to me was more the lack of crowd before the races had started. Use to be that the pubs and restaurants in the Square or even down in Quay St would be busy.

Pointless comparing to the boom, it’s a total outlier.

My last one in the city was 2011. It was much larger thEn too and it was 3 years into the recession.

And yes, the crowd on the Friday seemed larger. Now seeing the official figures, that is confirmed. So is the Galway Races now bigger for locals than for outsiders? If so, could it be that the price gouging has caught up and is deterring people from outside of Galway coming to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

From Irish Times

As Wompa says the decline is staggering a 40 % drop in just over a decade
    Involved in business in the city and no doubt the week has slumped from a mayhem week to a busy summer one
    Was there yesterday and enjoyed it a great day out
    But A lot of Galway based friends and colleagues have a negative set against Races due to young ones, boozing, too busy, traffic etc all of which are not really true anymore bar maybe Thurs, which has contributed to slump, along with less visitors in to city

HRI chief unfazed about slip in Galway festival attendance
    Brian Kavanagh believes boost in betting ring turnover can be maintained at event
    Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 18:18
    Brian O'Connor
    The Galway Racing Festival: last year’s total attendance fell to 132,691. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho
    The Galway Racing Festival: last year’s total attendance fell to 132,691. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Share to Email App

Irish racing’s top official has defended the public appeal of next week’s Galway festival despite a notable slide in crowd figures over recent years.

At the height of the Celtic Tiger in 2006, attendance levels at the sport’s biggest summer festival reached a peak with an official figure of 216,942 over the seven days. Figures tumbled during the following years of the economic crash but despite the subsequent economic upswing crowd levels at Galway have continued to slip.

A return of 148,564 over the seven days in 2015 was followed by 147,459 a year later. There was a significant drop to 137,682 in 2017. Last year’s total fell again to 132,691. That 2018 festival saw the Friday evening programme usurp Galway Hurdle day as the busiest of the week with 30,159 attending.

That was almost 4,000 more than the Thursday, traditionally the busiest day of the year in Irish racing. It was also a long way ahead of the near 17,000 that attended Wednesday’s Plate fixture.

Punchestown’s concluding “Family Day” festival date became Irish racing’s busiest date last year and a 37,206 attendance at that same fixture in May is likely to see that status repeated in 2019.

Ballybrit action
    Horse Racing Ireland statistics for the first half of this year reported a near nine per cent rise in attendance levels overall in Ireland.

That is a pattern HRI’s chief executive believes can be reflected during next week’s Ballybrit action which begins on Monday.

“The numbers going to Galway are huge compared to most other meetings during the year and people go there for a variety of different reasons.

“Comparing Galway with other racecourses is not strictly comparing like with like. There’s a carnival element to Galway, a holiday element. It’s more than a race-meeting in some ways,” Brian Kavanagh said on Friday.

He said he wasn’t concerned about a slip in attendances at Galway and suggested comparisons with Celtic Tiger years are unrealistic.

“I have no fears about Galway. I think what’s happened is that momentum shifts. For example Friday is getting stronger. A lot of people are changing their racing patterns over the course of the week,” he said.

“Galway have done some work on improving their product-offering over the last number of years and I think we will see the effect of that,” Kavanagh added.

Those recent half-year statistics also revealed an 11.5 per cent increase in on-course bookmaker betting so far in 2019. That’s a reversal of a previously remorseless slide in betting ring turnover during the last decade.

Consistent lift
    “There’s been a consistent lift. It’s still only modest compared to some years ago, but that’s an old story about the nature of betting changing. I’d be hopeful of Galway. The bookmaker ring is stronger this year than other years,” Kavanagh said.

The HRI boss also said on Friday that the progress of remedial work on Dundalk’s controversial all-weather surface this summer will be kept under review.

The surface came under heavy criticism last Spring with the Trainers Association saying most of its membership had lost confidence in it.

Earlier this week Dundalk officials announced a three month resurfacing project will begin in April of 2020.

It also said 54 tonnes of extra fibre will be added to the current Polytrack by the time racing resumes there this September.

“We would have liked to have seen it [resurfacing] done sooner. But our strong preference is that it’s done right,” said Kavanagh who added that Dundalk have received assurances about remedial work allowing fixtures go ahead as planned this autumn and through the winter.

“They’ve been assured the work they’ll do this summer will be sufficient to get them through the time until they do the work next year. Obviously we will keep that under review,” he added.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pointless comparing to the boom, it’s a total outlier.

My last one in the city was 2011. It was much larger thEn too and it was 3 years into the recession.

And yes, the crowd on the Friday seemed larger. Now seeing the official figures, that is confirmed. So is the Galway Races now bigger for locals than for outsiders? If so, could it be that the price gouging has caught up and is deterring people from outside of Galway coming to it?
    Think it's the other way around, I know very few locals who go. Most wouldn't be arsed, it's too expensive to get in and then have a drink and a bet etc etc. You'd get a couple of nights out for what you'd spend going up there for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Think it's the other way around, I know very few locals who go. Most wouldn't be arsed, it's too expensive to get in and then have a drink and a bet etc etc. You'd get a couple of nights out for what you'd spend going up there for a day.

20 quid in yesterday for 7 races 4-5 hours day out , Its a good day out , and you can spend what you want. I spent about 30 quid as a well known cheapskate.. . A night and meal out could be 100-quid plus. Same thing really . A big event on the citys door

Galway people dont support local events , for whatever reason , plenty of my friends are of similar view to your good self so I can understand the view, I would not hold it though

youngrun wrote: »

20 quid in yesterday for 7 races 4-5 hours day out , Its a good day out , and you can spend what you want. I spent about 30 quid as a well known cheapskate.. . A night and meal out could be 100-quid plus. Same thing really . A big event on the citys door

Galway people dont support local events , for whatever reason , plenty of my friends are of similar view to your good self so I can understand the view, I would not hold it though
    Used to go up years ago but I just have no interest now, for some of the reasons you gave above, the amount of drunk young wans and fellas would put me off. The price during the week is 25/30 am I right? Think the two evenings used to be 15 within the last ten years.

I would strongly disagree with anyone saying it’s not a big event for locals (well county locals anyway), the races is massive with locals in my experience particularly the Friday. I’m in a constant state of saying hello to people i know, half know, know to see etc back there any evening I’m there but particularly Monday and Friday.

I would strongly disagree with anyone saying it’s not a big event for locals (well county locals anyway), the races is massive with locals in my experience particularly the Friday. I’m in a con rant state of saying hello to people i know, half know, know to see etc back there any evening I’m there but particularly Monday and Friday.
    Nobody said it's not a big event for locals, but it's not as big and the numbers going have dropped markedly. There are many locals not going for all of the reasons outlined above. You'll disagree no matter what Nox as Ballybrit is your Mecca but the numbers don't lie and paint a picture.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    2011 was 3 years into the crash. Looking at numbers, it seems the crowd then was much bigger too. Numbers seem to keep falling. Don't know if it's a money thing. It could be a change of taste in the 30 and 40 somethings.

The surprise to me was more the lack of crowd before the races had started. Use to be that the pubs and restaurants in the Square or even down in Quay St would be busy.
    I would guess the biggest group of people who travelled to Galway for this would be in the 25-40 age bracket.
    There aren't as many of them as ten years ago - the peak the baby boom was in 1980 - 74k births, 15 years later it was below 50k. Those of us from the baby boom are hitting our 40s and probably don't get out as much.

The population gap has been made up by migration but anecdotally they don't seem as interested.

• Advertisement

I would guess the biggest group of people who travelled to Galway for this would be in the 25-40 age bracket.
    There aren't as many of them as ten years ago - the peak the baby boom was in 1980 - 74k births, 15 years later it was below 50k. Those of us from the baby boom are hitting our 40s and probably don't get out as much.

The population gap has been made up by migration but anecdotally they don't seem as interested.

Add into that, there's less disposable income in that age bracket then there was 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is it, generally they've lost an awful lot of local support. Increases in ticket prices, parking, drinks, food etc coupled with the removal of some of the more traditional parts including the funfair as well as better options for entertainment around the place have seen a lot of locals not bother to go or at least bit go as often.
    It's also a much different environment now and families are less likely to attend I would say.
    Also, 20/30 year olds don't have the money they did back in the boom. Rents have skyrocketed/living costs are well up yet net wages are down for these age groups.

I do agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread around the venue being totally under utilised however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm hearing increasing negativity towards the races.
    From country folk, I'm hearing that Galway is "too expensive" and there is " a lot of gouging going on". I hear stories of country people who would have gone to the races for 1 week for 20 years, now only going for 1 or 2 days. i.e. for many people, the Galway races was their holiday each year. This year average hotel prices are €200 per night. I think Flannerys was €249 this week? IMO country racing people are being pushed out by the non-racing drinking people.

From city folk, many people have a hugely negative attitude towards it. Many Galway people leave for the week. I ran into city Galway people who had attended but they were quick to stress that "they got free tickets, or it's not their thing but a friend wanted to go, or they haven't gone for years but decided to give it a go" i.e. a slight embarrassment admitted to going for fear they be perceived as the type that goes to races. It's developed a stigma. It's a week which runs in stark contrast to the previous weeks arts festival.

IMO there are now more people who travel to Galway for the party and not the races. Last week I saw huge numbers of people dressing up in suits and dresses to drink on shop street? Has this become the more attractive part of the week for people?

I was only in town at 8 pm on Friday. It seem pretty civil but previous years were messy and loutish. I'm not sure how the races manages this. I see racing meets in the UK and Australia have attracted a similar type of drunken crowd.

Advertisement