Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cnocbui wrote: »
    Oh yes, the peak oil next year argument people like you have been spouting nonsense about for decades.

You do realise it's always about to run out but miraculously never does?

The sooner those Norwegian EV hypocrites run out of oil, the better I will like it, unfortunately I don't share your optimism. If I could reach out with a long arm and turn their money printing valve right now, I'd be doing it rather than typing this.

well it will run out eventually... you don't deny that surely :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It is unsustainable , but technology will likely change this. I was reading yesterday that boring or airbus are working on short range electric planes and want them in the sky by 2030

Yea technology will reduce the impact of our lifestyles but will not solve the problem. The positive impact of making air travel more efficient will be completely reversed by the massive projected growth in air travel over the next couple of decades. Put simply the growth in air traffic will need to be reversed or massively reduced in the years ahead if more efficient planes are to reduce the current level of environmental harm attributed to air travel. So there will be choices to make .. maybe it will be universally acceptable to restrict private car usage in order to ensure that a small proportion of the world's population can continue to have unlimited access to air travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

lawred2 wrote: »

Ahh that crazy talk...no chance it will run out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CO2 levels are currently around 415 ppm. The average over geological time would be more like 1500 ppm. I think there's a lot more hydrocarbons to find and burn before we can get the CO2 levels anywhere near what they should be.

All that carbon didn't just leave on spaceships. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CO2 levels are currently around 415 ppm. The average over geological time would be more like 1500 ppm. I think there's a lot more hydrocarbons to find and burn before we can get the CO2 levels anywhere near what they should be.

All that carbon didn't just leave on spaceships. ;)

Ah, finally the penny had dropped.

Your one of them..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Old diesel wrote: »

People will question why should someone drive a diesel for a once a year 800 miles in a day trip.

Well twice a year as it's 800 miles there and 800 miles back

I'd give my left nut for it to be only 800 miles (or 1280km in new money) each way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

McGaggs wrote: »
    Not all of South Dublin is beside the N11.

If you live up the back of beyond and commute for miles every day without ever seeing a filling station or obviously a town, you are clearly in a very very small minority of commuters.

Most people pass a filling station at some point during the day.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I guess the blindingly obvious answer is that there are no garages on my commute?

You too ? Where do you people live and where do you drive to ?
    Ohh its not the same!
    I'm sure the kids lap that up when you are stranded in the car with them.

My kids are adults and I don't think we've ever been stranded in a car which includes years driving around the country in an old VW camper.
    Do these same people often run out of steering fluid or brake oil I wonder? Not things you can just pickup in a garage and both items that would strand you.

I honestly haven't a rashers what you're on about.

listermint wrote: »
    Ah, finally the penny had dropped.

Your one of them..:rolleyes:

Yes, I am one of your Saurian overlords and rightful masters of the planet, secretly working to return the climate to it's rightful state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cadaliac wrote: »
    Do you have figures re: cost of charging at your house?

Its very easy maths.
    Multiply the size of your battery by the price of your electricity unit rate.

In my case its 33x18c if I charge during the day or 33x8c if I charge during the night on night rate. Based on my driving routine (99% city, that gets me about 290km in the summer and about 260km at this time of year).

If I need to drop everything at a moments notice and travel to cork for an emergency, i'd take the diesel. Although ive never had to drive to Cork in my life just yet.

EV's work for some, they don't for others. It really is that simple. Its a choice you make when buying, a bit like whether you need a 3 door car or 5 door car.

Oil will probably "never run out" but it will get ever harder and more expensive to extract, as an ever increasing proportion of the oil we use comes from fracking, secondary,tertiary and even more flushing out of the last drops from an oil formation. Another point is that oil companies are no longer mega rich like they used to be on the old days, the J.R Ewings of the modern world are not multi billionaires any more. When the true costs of renewables and batteries really do go below the costs involved in oil extraction, that is when we will see a rapid decline in the use of oil.

We will leave oil before oil leaves us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

listermint wrote: »
    on the contrary small businesses will flourish if the streets are pedestrianised. Its high time we got rid of those big faceless shopping centres, provided proper public transport and stopped allowing our cities be playgrounds for vehicles.
    Im all for it. and i rely on my vehicles for everything.

But id take a regular bus service over driving into a stream of traffic anyday.

Public transport is great for commuting, its not great for heading out to do some shopping with 3 kids in tow.

You too ? Where do you people live and where do you drive to ?
    Rathfarnham to Sandyford. The closest one would be Tesco @ dundrum and I might as well go dig for oil myself rather than try to get in and out of there in the morning or evening.
    My kids are adults and I don't think we've ever been stranded in a car which includes years driving around the country in an old VW camper.
    Is that possibly because you are capable of checking your fuel gauge?
    Why does this suddenly become an issue when the gauge is measuring electric charge rather than volume of diesel/petrol?

I honestly haven't a rashers what you're on about.
    See above.
    Why do normal, rational people who can check and observe the levels of all the various things in their lives, suddenly lose that ability when driving an EV?
    It seems like a pretty nonsensical viewpoint to me.

Unless of course you are prone to sudden, unannounced 500km journeys?

Public transport is great for commuting, its not great for heading out to do some shopping with 3 kids in tow.

I disagree

My 3 in car just murder each other the entire trip, stick them on train/bus etc and it’s a exciting journey and strangers to observe...have the proper pram setup and it’s no problem

In the future anyway we might as well agree the amount of sprogs will be restricted :-)

Oil will probably "never run out" but it will get ever harder and more expensive to extract, as an ever increasing proportion of the oil we use comes from fracking, secondary,tertiary and even more flushing out of the last drops from an oil formation. Another point is that oil companies are no longer mega rich like they used to be on the old days, the J.R Ewings of the modern world are not multi billionaires any more. When the true costs of renewables and batteries really do go below the costs involved in oil extraction, that is when we will see a rapid decline in the use of oil.

We will leave oil before oil leaves us.

Oil will have had it's day if we ever manage a battery tech that has 30-40% better energy density than current Li-ion, which is a dangerous kludge, highlighted by numerous Tesla roman candles burning for days on end, requiring fire departments to create special containers to drop them in.

The new killer battery tech can't come soon enough.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I disagree

My 3 in car just murder each other the entire trip, stick them on train/bus etc and it’s a exciting journey and strangers to observe...have the proper pram setup and it’s no problem

In the future anyway we might as well agree the amount of sprogs will be restricted :-)

Train is an adventure for kids, doing the weekly shop in the middle of a wet December with 5 bags of shopping rolling around the back of the #16 is not an adventure.

I'd take all the fighting in the back seat in the world over trying to get them and prams on and off a bus, in the rain, with shoppings bags.

Oil will have had it's day if we ever manage a battery tech that has 30-40% better energy density than current Li-ion, which is a dangerous kludge, highlighted by numerous Tesla roman candles burning for days on end, requiring fire departments to create special containers to drop them in.

The new killer battery tech can't come soon enough.

It doesn’t matter what century and what new invention you always have some people afraid of change....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

elperello wrote: »
    Is that comparing people who come to shop by car with those who come to shop by other means?
    Not doubting you but it sounds counter intuitive.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/02/17/over-80-of-dublin-city-centre-retail-spend-from-non-car-shoppers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

McGaggs wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

What it shows is that according to the survey shoppers coming in by car spend the most per head.

Quote from link -

"She added: “And the research clearly demonstrates that a thriving city centre relies on the public transport passenger, walkers and cyclists. While people coming in by car will always be important – they do spend the most money per head when they are in town (€137) – it is the public transport, walking and cycling communities that deliver the strongest cash injection to the city’s economy as a whole. After all, they account for over 80% of all visitors, and we will continue to put these people at the centre of our transport planning – for the long-term economic benefit of the city.”

The survey doesn't differentiate between the different types of shopping either just giving figures for total spend in the city for each group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know, my last two houses have had it. I am not glass half empty, I just seem more knowledgeable than you about the realities and actually do the maths. You should be aware that double glazing doesn't cut it for passive housing and you at least need triple glazing filled with argon for passive housing and quadruple glazing in colder parts of Europe.

I'm not sure being deliberately obtuse counts as being more knowledgeable.

Double glazing came around in the 80's and people complained then about increasing building standards making houses more expensive.

Same again 40 years later. Building standards are increasing again to a higher insulation standard, just as car standards are also making a leap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do these same people often run out of steering fluid or brake oil I wonder? Not things you can just pickup in a garage and both items that would strand you.
    "Brake oil"? ehhh.... Wut? If you run out of brake fluid that's a fault in the system, it's not a consumable. Ditto for steering fluid, though that won't strand you, it'll just mean the car requires more effort to steer. TBH it can be scary to realise how few people driving around a couple of tonnes of fast moving metal actually have a blind bog how the systems work. In that sense EV's will be a godsend as they have fewer moving components and the tech in the car monitors more and more things so the uninformed don't have to think, the car does the thinking for them, so if it runs out of "brake oil" it'll stop the car(hopefully before it completely runs out...).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It doesn’t matter what century and what new invention you always have some people afraid of change....

i can't change yet but i'm keeping an eye on it. My mileage is an issue.

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Brake oil"? ehhh.... Wut? If you run out of brake fluid that's a fault in the system, it's not a consumable. Ditto for steering fluid, though that won't strand you, it'll just mean the car requires more effort to steer. TBH it can be scary to realise how few people driving around a couple of tonnes of fast moving metal actually have a blind bog how the systems work. In that sense EV's will be a godsend as they have fewer moving components and the tech in the car monitors more and more things so the uninformed don't have to think, the car does the thinking for them, so if it runs out of "brake oil" it'll stop the car(hopefully before it completely runs out...).

At this point I would say that for many people the title could be changed to 'Death knell for non-autonomous cars' as increasingly people no longer want the hassle associated with actually driving a car. They simply want the comfort and convenience of what a car provides compared to public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Nothing to contribute to.the discussion on class:o

OK here's the thing... I don't understand why the future has to be binary or why ICE cars have to be put off the road. With so many two car families & with a growing demand for car-sharing platforms why can't the two co-exist. Electric for urban/short-hop, ICE for long distance?

Fair enough they got it 'wrong' about diesel, at least that problem is confined to Europe. But what if in 10 yrs time it's discovered the mass manufacture/disposal of batteries is not so green?

Out for a walk last week I noticed a mid 90s Merc W124 coupe & a BMW i3 parked up side-by-side. If we really wanted to be environmentally responsible we'd make cars last longer.

Getting back to the class thing, what if having a new car was environmentally questionable - like using plastic bags? I reckon there are already fewer brand new cars in swanky Dublin areas (altho usually Merc/Audi/BMW or VW). Not because of environmental reasons but because middle-classes take pride in minding their money & aren't swayed by PCP & all the other incentives that cost an arm & a leg...

pburns wrote: »
    Nothing to contribute to.the discussion on class:o

OK here's the thing... I don't understand why the future has to be binary or why ICE cars have to be put off the road. With so many two car families & with a growing demand for car-sharing platforms why can't the two co-exist. Electric for urban/short-hop, ICE for long distance?

Fair enough they got it 'wrong' about diesel, at least that problem is confined to Europe. But what if in 10 yrs time it's discovered the mass manufacture/disposal of batteries is not so green?

Out for a walk last week I noticed a mid 90s Merc W124 coupe & a BMW i3 parked up side-by-side. If we really wanted to be environmentally responsible we'd make cars last longer.

Getting back to the class thing, what if having a new car was environmentally questionable - like using plastic bags? I reckon there are already fewer brand new cars in swanky Dublin areas (altho usually Merc/Audi/BMW or VW). Not because of environmental reasons but because middle-classes take pride in minding their money & aren't swayed by PCP & all the other incentives that cost an arm & a leg...

I have said this for a long time and VW are one manufacturer who have said the same. Some people should use diesel. Our resident poster who drives half of europe a few times a year etc.

We need balance. 80% of the market in diesel is stupid. Extremely stupid.

Drive down a street in Dublin and it is full of cars, instead of 1 car a house it is 2-3 now. To make it worse you have 3 diesel cars. We have an electric and before a diesel, we have now swapped the second to a PHEV. If we are concerned about range we just bring the PHEV.

Even if the government went to all second cars in households in Ireland they could probably swap over 90% and these people can have no complaint about range anxiety.

That is what I would class as the low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Even if the government went to all second cars in households in Ireland they could probably swap over 90% and these people can have no complaint about range anxiety.

They can't change 2nd cars to electric because there aren't enough electric cars being made. They are a tiny niche of the market.

As production of electric cars ramps up, range will increase, % of our electricity that comes from renewables will increase, and we will arrive at a greener transport system.

It won't happen overnight with all the diesels taken out the back and crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

How will the electric vehicles fair in farming, are they powerful enough, when pulling trailers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't know how we got into a situation where large diesel vehicles are the most common on the roads. The air quality has taken a drastic drop.

I live near a busy traffic area. Near the round about is toxic.
    How will the electric vehicles fair in farming, are they powerful enough, when pulling trailers,

They have a linear torque curve and lots of torque so good I'd imagine outside of battery capacity issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

BloodBath wrote: »
    They have a linear torque curve and lots of torque so good I'd imagine outside of battery capacity issues.

Electric motors are ideal for traction - that's why trains are all driven by electric motors. Tesla have built an electric semi truck.

It is batteries that are the limiting factor, the motors are perfect for cars and towing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It is batteries that are the limiting factor, the motors are perfect for cars and towing.

Except most EVs on the market are not approved for towing at all...

I don't know how we got into a situation where large diesel vehicles are the most common on the roads. The air quality has taken a drastic drop.

I live near a busy traffic area. Near the round about is toxic.

Agreed. Pre 2008 diesel car were more expensive & only made sense for high mileage drivers. I bought my first diesel back in July 2008 even though my mileage didn't warrant it. It almost felt like I was 'gaming' the system - low tax & VRT...happy days:rolleyes:!

However while electric cars may be better for urban air quality I'm not convinced they are the panacea being touted at the moment. There are a lot of question marks over large-scale battery production, 'renewable' energy, recycling etc. that I haven't seen addressed satisfactorily.

Hopefully our government (& the public servants who make the real decisions) will proceed with caution this time rather than rushing headlong into another cluster****.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »

Again I reference back to balance. The days of a farmer with a couple of cows is gone. They just can't survive. Most farms are business now and they have vehicles for the farm. Nobody is saying dump the diesel vehicle that is needed to pull trailers/farm job etc. But again how many of these vehicles are in Ireland? 1-2%?

I think people need to stop concentrating on the few vehicles that cannot be swapped to alternatives fuels and look at the vehicle that can be swapped.

I think you will find the percentage of vehicles that cannot be swapped is low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anthropocentric climate change is the greatest load of bullsh1t anyway ...

Well at least your moniker gives us due warning. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Most farms are business now and they have vehicles for the farm. Nobody is saying dump the diesel vehicle that is needed to pull trailers/farm job etc.

They're generally not passenger cars, which is the main point of discussion here.

Again I reference back to balance. The days of a farmer with a couple of cows is gone. They just can't survive. Most farms are business now and they have vehicles for the farm. Nobody is saying dump the diesel vehicle that is needed to pull trailers/farm job etc. But again how many of these vehicles are in Ireland? 1-2%?

I think people need to stop concentrating on the few vehicles that cannot be swapped to alternatives fuels and look at the vehicle that can be swapped.

I think you will find the percentage of vehicles that cannot be swapped is low.

Nobody is looking for commercial vehicles to be replaced.

It's all the asshats in their massive diesel SUV's that they think they need to get a bit of shopping and drop Timmy to school in.

It should never have been economically viable for them. The government and the car companies have a lot to answer for.

The lung disease problem in Ireland is only going to get worse.

That is what I would class as the low hanging fruit.

Would the environment not be better off if folk drove their current car for as long as possible
    The low hanging fruit you describe is an awful lot of unnecessary replacement.
    The throw away consumerism philosophy really needs to be challenged IMO if the environment is an actual concern.

Augeo wrote: »
    Would the environment not be better off if folk drove their current car for as long as possible
    The low hanging fruit you describe is an awful lot of unnecessary replacement.
    The throw away consumerism philosophy really needs to be challenged IMO if the environment is an actual concern.

No it wouldn't. It's not just about the environment either. I'm sick of having to hold my breath passing passing particularly dirty and busy vehicle areas.

We're all breathing this **** in all the time. So is every other living creature. Clean air and clean water are getting increasingly hard to get.

Nobody is looking for commercial vehicles to be replaced.

It's all the asshats in their massive diesel SUV's that they think they need to get a bit of shopping and drop Timmy to school in.

It should never have been economically viable for them. The government and the car companies have a lot to answer for.

The lung disease problem in Ireland is only going to get worse.

Exactly, I laugh when people said about the e-Tron and the low range on it. Most of them will be used to drop Timmy and the rest of the clan 10km down the road and never do enough km per day to half empty the battery......

Range will never be an issue

creedp wrote: »
    At this point I would say that for many people the title could be changed to 'Death knell for non-autonomous cars' as increasingly people no longer want the hassle associated with actually driving a car. They simply want the comfort and convenience of what a car provides compared to public transport.

Well they are not going to get fully autonomous for decades if ever (my guess).
    https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/10/10/driverless-cars-are-stuck-in-a-jam

Exactly, I laugh when people said about the e-Tron and the low range on it. Most of them will be used to drop Timmy and the rest of the clan 10km down the road and never do enough km per day to half empty the battery......

Sorry but that's nonesense!

Dropping €90k+ on a new car that is only viable within the M50 commuter belt is gonna be a pretty limited market!

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Brake oil"? ehhh.... Wut?
    Oh dear, tried to be smart and ended up looking...less so, poor fella.
    Brake Oil is DOT 2 brake fluid, mineral oil (LHM) as used in certain Citroën/Rolls-Royce cars and by various bike manufacturers such as Shimano, Magura amongst others.

If you run out of brake fluid that's a fault in the system, it's not a consumable. Ditto for steering fluid, though that won't strand you, it'll just mean the car requires more effort to steer. TBH it can be scary to realise how few people driving around a couple of tonnes of fast moving metal actually have a blind bog how the systems work. In that sense EV's will be a godsend as they have fewer moving components and the tech in the car monitors more and more things so the uninformed don't have to think, the car does the thinking for them, so if it runs out of "brake oil" it'll stop the car(hopefully before it completely runs out...).

The point is that a little light will pop on to tell you "hey there mr driver, you need to take an action" to simpletons like me, this is laughably similar to the battery gauge on an EV. Your correlation abilities may vary of course.

You have clearly never tried to steer a modern car without power steering.
    You most certainly ARE stranded, its not possible to steer the car.
    It's not like old cars that never had power steering.

BTW its scary how smart some people *think* they are.

• Advertisement

Well they are not going to get fully autonomous for decades if ever (my guess).
    https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/10/10/driverless-cars-are-stuck-in-a-jam

Insurance companies dont want to know about autonomous driving.....simple as that.....

Just look at all the video's of plonker Tesla drivers in the US asleep at the wheel.....thats a big no no.....

Even VW have backed out of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Range is not the most important issue with EVs, especially as most will be used as city runabouts or second family cars. Price is the factor that will determine the takeup.
    Even with massive state incentives the upfront price is just too high. This is hard to understand as the manufacturing cost should be lower for EVs. Unless some enterprising car maker produces a vehicle that is price-competitive with the equivalent ICE, there will be little change.

creedp wrote: »

They will still need the ability to be able to read a gauge/dial and figure out when their car needs more "go-juice", something that for some reason, some people think is only a problem with an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Given that a lot of people are using exhaust emissions / health as great reason to go electric, would it not make more sense to petition to have all the city busses swapped out for trolley busses with over head cables.
    The amount of gunk spewing out of a bus running all day long surely outweighs what cars are contributing.

pburns wrote: »
    Agreed. Pre 2008 diesel car were more expensive & only made sense for high mileage drivers. I bought my first diesel back in July 2008 even though my mileage didn't warrant it. It almost felt like I was 'gaming' the system - low tax & VRT...happy days:rolleyes:!

However while electric cars may be better for urban air quality I'm not convinced they are the panacea being touted at the moment. There are a lot of question marks over large-scale battery production, 'renewable' energy, recycling etc. that I haven't seen addressed satisfactorily.

Hopefully our government (& the public servants who make the real decisions) will proceed with caution this time rather than rushing headlong into another cluster****.

Unfortunately, the whole CO2/global warming/imminent extinction hysteria means they are going to repeat history and are guaranteed to deliver rushed policies that prove harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

They will still need the ability to be able to read a gauge/dial and figure out when their car needs more "go-juice", something that for some reason, some people think is only a problem with an EV.

You really have to get over this infatuation you have with people not being able to read dials.
    It's inconvenient to be putting petrol into cars all the time as is plugging your car in to mains, all the time.
    This is the driving reason people run out - sheer laziness and lack of time / or whatever.
    The range issue on EV's is an issue yes, but as most people have repeated on here, each to their own and it will suit some, not others.

I don't get the bashing of the Ev's myself as I do think it is the future, but like others who also have said, it's just not for me and doesn't fulfill my needs at this moment in time.

I do not live near public transport either - a fact that most on here seem to not factor into an argument.
    If you do and an EV suits your needs - why not?
    Don't assume that it will suit all others too. (pointing this out for the general forum readers/writers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It’s not just the improvement in local air quality. There is far less noise pollution from electric cars!

goat2 wrote: »

There is an even less incentive for farmers to change over to EVs because of the cost of their farming ICE's is significantly subsidised by the taxpayer - cheap fuel and 100% capital write off. When farmers decide to switch over it will be because EVs are better at doing what they are used for than equivalent ICE's rather than the decision being largely influenced by the significantly lower EV running costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Given that a lot of people are using exhaust emissions / health as great reason to go electric, would it not make more sense to petition to have all the city busses swapped out for trolley busses with over head cables.
    The amount of gunk spewing out of a bus running all day long surely outweighs what cars are contributing.
    You would think this , but I believe a bus emits less nox etc than a typical passenger car. Electric are way more expensive. Providing more diesel buses that are far less polluting than what they replace , is more environmentally friendly than replacing a fraction of the fleet with electric. I’d see no point in overhead lines anywhere, everything here moves at a glacial pace , we’d be half way through putting them up and there would be far better solutions already available. Like super capacitors, already being used in other countries bus system

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    You really have to get over this infatuation you have with people not being able to read dials.
    It's inconvenient to be putting petrol into cars all the time as is plugging your car in to mains, all the time.
    This is the driving reason people run out - sheer laziness and lack of time / or whatever.
    The range issue on EV's is an issue yes, but as most people have repeated on here, each to their own and it will suit some, not others.

I don't get the bashing of the Ev's myself as I do think it is the future, but like others who also have said, it's just not for me and doesn't fulfill my needs at this moment in time.

I do not live near public transport either - a fact that most on here seem to not factor into an argument.
    If you do and an EV suits your needs - why not?
    Don't assume that it will suit all others too. (pointing this out for the general forum readers/writers)

My infatuation stems from people who think they are suddenly going to be stranded without power if they buy and EV, yet are never stranded when driving an ICE.

I have an EV and a diesel, I'm totally sold on EV's as they suit our driving needs 100%.

Of course there will be people they don't suit, but thats a tiny percentage of drivers. The way people on here talk you'd think its 50%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement