Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vespa rebuild - Mechanic required

Options
  • 17-06-2019 8:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,

I have an old Vespa that hasn't been on the road for 7 years and I would like to get it back up and running.

Its going to need a complete engine over haul, new battery, electrics checked and a few other bits.

Can anyone recommend a good vespa mechanic or workshop in Dublin that would be able to do the job please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've used Modern & Classic scooters and found them fine.

http://www.mcscooters.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had a PX200 lie up for the same length of time, put petrol in it. Checked it for 2 stroke and engine oil and it fired up on a kick.

They're a very simple bike to do that stuff on yourself.

I sold mine a few days later and regretted it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Scooter Island - on the Quays. - bought ( and get serviced ) two Vespas from the lads, my old ET2 and my new Sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hey there,

I have an old Vespa that hasn't been on the road for 7 years and I would like to get it back up and running.

Its going to need a complete engine over haul, new battery, electrics checked and a few other bits.

Can anyone recommend a good vespa mechanic or workshop in Dublin that would be able to do the job please?

Thanks.

Mine was laid up for 10 years: started 1st kick with fresh petrol.

Not sure what model you have, but all the original PX's don't have any battery, so there's nothing to check there............

I'd be inclined to not 'go at' something that doesn't need fixing.

Like Makikomi, I sold mine. Every now & then I regret it, as I had it for 26+ years, but if I'm honest, I wasn't using it, and it wasn't going to. New owner uses it to go to scooter events and we see it there anyway !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Mine was laid up for 10 years: started 1st kick with fresh petrol.

Not sure what model you have, but all the original PX's don't have any battery, so there's nothing to check there............

I'd be inclined to not 'go at' something that doesn't need fixing.

Like Makikomi, I sold mine. Every now & then I regret it, as I had it for 26+ years, but if I'm honest, I wasn't using it, and it wasn't going to. New owner uses it to go to scooter events and we see it there anyway !

it might start, but its still worth a little effort and cost of things like replacing the hoses, checking the mounts and all the rubbers, checking / swaping the tires, cleaning wasps nests out of airboxes :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ljmscooter wrote: »
    it might start, but its still worth a little effort and cost of things like replacing the hoses, checking the mounts and all the rubbers, checking / swaping the tires, cleaning wasps nests out of airboxes :-)

It's an old ET2, I want to put it back on the road as moving soon and it will be handy for the commute to the local train station.

Not interesting in selling it but want to bring it back to its original state, so refresh the whole lot. Engine rebuilt, electrics, bodywork and paint etc. It's a shame to see it being left there.

Once its looked after I can easily get 10 years out of it as its got less than 10k miles on it.

I'd start cleaning it up myself but I don't have enough experience and lacking the space to do it at the moment.

It's an old ET2, I want to put it back on the road as moving soon and it will be handy for the commute to the local train station.

Then you should at the very least replace the fuel ( vacuum ) and oil hoses , the petcock perhaps as these do fail, and a carb clean would be a good idea,

Front brake is disk, and you should change the fluid, chekc the pads

back brake is drum, check the cable and play.

wash the airfilter

pop the tranny cover off and blow out any belt dust, as this can gather around the kick, and jam it. Check the belt while you are there, change flat roller perhaps.

While yuo are theye take out the variator washer to derestrict if not already :-)

you can do a little and it will get you to work , you can do more - and you will get home from work. :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ljmscooter wrote: »
    Then you should at the very least replace the fuel ( vacuum ) and oil hoses , the petcock perhaps as these do fail, and a carb clean would be a good idea,

Front brake is disk, and you should change the fluid, chekc the pads

back brake is drum, check the cable and play.

wash the airfilter

pop the tranny cover off and blow out any belt dust, as this can gather around the kick, and jam it. Check the belt while you are there, change flat roller perhaps.

While yuo are theye take out the variator washer to derestrict if not already :-)

you can do a little and it will get you to work , you can do more - and you will get home from work. :-)

Soooooooooooo what you're saying is just do everything :D:D:D

Soooooooooooo what you're saying is just do everything :D:D:D

you can do the minimum :-)

just make sure you have recovery on your insurance, or bus fare in your pocket,

Advertisement