Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend pizza in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

For me its either Da Roberta or Capones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is Milano's still on Middle Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Is Milano's still on Middle Street?

yes and still pretty mundane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thinking of taking the family to Dough Bros. We tried a few weeks ago but when we saw the crowd thought we'd be waiting forever. However friends recently told us the line moves very quickly as they take your order while you wait so you pretty much sit down to hot pizza. What is the experience like there on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I’ll have a ham and mushroom and the gorgeous garlic olive oil from Pasta and Pizza di Napoli, thenn doughnuts from Boychik, and a calming ale in Freeneys, please!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Thinking of taking the family to Dough Bros. We tried a few weeks ago but when we saw the crowd thought we'd be waiting forever. However friends recently told us the line moves very quickly as they take your order while you wait so you pretty much sit down to hot pizza. What is the experience like there on a Saturday night?

Overrated & over hyped imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Please do tell us where is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Recommendation threads are for you to recommend a place you think is good.
    Try doing that.

On topic, I find Wooza good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Papa johns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Guffy

Wooza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Papa johns

That's gotta be just trolling. Supermacs excuse for a flat soft roll with cheese on top.
    I haven't been into the main restaurant but I do like Dough Bros stall in O Connells

Papa johns

Brilliant, that gave me a laugh at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Papa johns

Ahh, 'c'mon even Murty Rabbits is better than Papa John's.

Seriously... another vote for Woozza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

When I find myself going out for pizza's too often, I go to Papa Johns for one, then I find I don't desire a pizza for a few months.

A vote for Trattatoria here and used to like Monroes back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well we went to Dough Bros and everyone, but me, was really impressed with the food. In all it was about 30 minutes in line, then 15 mins waiting until served and it was piping hot. The pizza was good for that thin crust wood oven style which takes only a few minutes to cook. But the long wait, hard seats, really stuffy in there, the only beers were 33cl bottles and there's not a chance of getting a second. We're just too old for that. We prefer the sit somewhere comfortable, be served, and be able to get another drink. We said feck it and brought the rest home where we could enjoy it somewhere comfortable with a cold drink. So food good, but the in house experience itself not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

Well we went to Dough Bros and everyone, but me, was really impressed with the food. In all it was about 30 minutes in line, then 15 mins waiting until served and it was piping hot. The pizza was good for that thin crust wood oven style which takes only a few minutes to cook. But the long wait, hard seats, really stuffy in there, the only beers were 33cl bottles and there's not a chance of getting a second. We're just too old for that. We prefer the sit somewhere comfortable, be served, and be able to get another drink. We said feck it and brought the rest home where we could enjoy it somewhere comfortable with a cold drink. So food good, but the in house experience itself not so much.

I was in there at least once a month when they first opened in Abbeygate St. Haven't been since sometime early 2018 when we had a similar experience to yourself. Toppings on a few of ours were not like what it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I actually hope someone from Dough Bros is reading this as that i a really helpful post when compared to the normal ****e on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Gone are the days of Ed's NY Pizza and Bistro Bianconi.

Pizza Pasta Di Napoli can be pretty good. It's hit or miss. Sometimes it's a little too greasy. I'm in the camp that think Dough Bros is overrated. Haven't had Da Robertas since 2011, I'd say. Didn't know it was known for pizza. I'll have to give that a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was in there at least once a month when they first opened in Abbeygate St. Haven't been since sometime early 2018 when we had a similar experience to yourself. Toppings on a few of ours were not like what it used to be

My wife and I are in the same boat. We were Dough Bros OG’s, but just couldn’t be bothered any more for all the reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Dunno if The Twelve has been mentioned? Traditional al forno. Very good.
    Also find the Italian stall within Joyce's Knocknacarra great. Really handy and tasty slices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I actually hope someone from Dough Bros is reading this as that i a really helpful post when compared to the normal ****e on this forum

Yeah I would only add that I thought they appeared to have had some switch in suppliers or ingredients some-time in the last year or so, which has really had a detrimental impact on their pizza. They used to offer a very rich tomato sauce which really bound the whole pizza together, but subsequently they seem to have opted for some kind of watered down knock off, whilst the quality of some of the meat toppings (particularly chicken) has come down to the standard in the city (which is to say very hit and miss, often close to spoilt and really a shame). Have to give the staff credit though, never seen them break despite them being very busy and never once failed to get a warm welcome there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FoodLover2020

Would Highly Recommend Mona Lisa, there just a little pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Papa johns

limeleaf in renmore would beat papa John's

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

dough bros is as tasty and delicious as it's always been IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What do people here recommend to get at Dough Bros on the pizza? Maybe I need to try it again.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What do people here recommend to get at Dough Bros on the pizza? Maybe I need to try it again.

Don't think you can choose, it's just the menu pizzas available isn't it? Ive always found the Caesar one to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 XxCigiXx

molly09 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies......I would like posh enough place as it's for my friends 40th and she loves pizza wine and dessert !!

Mona Lisa do delicious thin based pizzas and have wines and desserts, nice place for a 40th I would say x

• Registered Users Posts: 19 XxCigiXx

Totally agree, never understood the hype over this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dough Bros is really good. Love the Chicken Caesar one, really rich and flavorsome without being at all doughy. Ate the Peter Stinger one recently in O Connell's and it was great too.

Papa John's is OK too but in a different way. They're really generous with the toppings but the bases are extremely doughy and they use mountains of cheese. Depends what you like I suppose.

I also ate a pizza on that bus at the back of Carrolls a while back. That wasn't half bad either, similar to Dough Bros. The dining experience was a novelty but not sure I'd enjoy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

For what it's worth ... Dough Bros. are hands down the best pizza in town with Woozza on a very close second place - but those have been mentioned a few times in this thread.

What I could not find mentioned is McGinn's Hop House (located in Woodquay)- they actually make a smashing good pizza in their wood fired oven ... and they have fab beers too. I thoroughly recommend this !!

Just my 2 cents worth ... taste is, after all, very individual ;)

Advertisement