Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs not on the lead in Griffeen Park

• 18-06-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭

What is it with dog owners in Griffeeen Park. There is a play area for the dogs but the owners insist to have them off the leads around the rest of the park even when there is signs saying they must be on the lead.

Last night was really bad in the park, there was bull terriers not on the lead also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All bull terriers are on the restricted dog breeds list. They must at all times be muzzled in public.

Linky

Were they? If so, there's nothing to be feared from these dogs. Because they are on the restricted list, they are not allowed inside the dog play area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Then there are the people who have dogs on those ridiculous retractable leads who let them roam all over. I saw one this morning that was blocking both footpath with one lead.

*old man rant over"

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So the bull terriers you saw weren't muzzled?

unkel wrote: »
    So the bull terriers you saw weren't muzzled?

No muzzled and not on a lead.

• Advertisement

I presume you mean not muzzled and not on a lead?

That's not good. I also read that article you posted. Scary stuff. The owner of the dog that was killed could also have been attacked. Did you notice if the owner of the bull terriers that you saw was around and seemingly in control of the dogs?

I admit having my own dog off the lead in Griffeen Park. But she is a very friendly, smart and obedient labrador that doesn't go near other people unless she knows them. And if I see any people or kids around that might possibly be scared, I call her in to me and put her on the lead immediately. Quite the opposite, my dog is only 1.5 years old, yet she has already weaned many local children off their general fear of dogs.

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you mean not muzzled and not on a lead?

That's not good. I also read that article you posted. Scary stuff. The owner of the dog that was killed could also have been attacked. Did you notice if the owner of the bull terriers that you saw was around and seemingly in control of the dogs?

I admit having my own dog off the lead in Griffeen Park. But she is a very friendly, smart and obedient labrador that doesn't go near other people unless she knows them. And if I see any people or kids around that might possibly be scared, I call her in to me and put her on the lead immediately. Quite the opposite, my dog is only 1.5 years old, yet she has already weaned many local children off their general fear of dogs.

Your dog is still a pup and probably spoilt rotten :)

The bull terriers owners were close by but they can snap at any min and very hard to break their hold on a kid or other dog.

I have no problem with the well behave dogs and I understand that dogs will miss behave sometimes, but what annoys me is when the owner fails to acknowledge it or just continues to let the dog misbehave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd report the offenders as we do hear the horror stories of children (and adults and other dogs) being mauled by these types of dogs. Bull Terriers are officially classified as dangerous breed dogs.

Taken from citizensinformation.ie below.

Rules relating to certain breeds of dog
    The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog:

American pit bull terrier
    English bull terrier
    Staffordshire bull terrier
    Bull mastiff
    Dobermann pinscher
    German shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese akita
    Japanese tosa
    Bandog
    The rules state that these dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must:

Be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    Wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
    The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

Advertisement