Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Issues

Options
  • 18-06-2019 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I thought someone may be able to shed some light on an issue I have with a recent build.

This is my first build so I'm hopeful this is an easy fix.

The following is the build:

Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 2600x Six Core/Twelve Thread 3.9GHz Processor (MPK)

Motherboard:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Memory:Corsair Vengeance RBG PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

Case: Fractal R5 Midi

M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:WD Black 500GB SN750 M.2 NVME PCI-E Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS500G3X0C)

Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*

Graphics:MSI GeForce GTX 1650 OC 4096MB GDDR4 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Power Supply:Seasonic Focus Plus 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Kiki who I know is a regular poster here and I know from bball forum helped me out but I don't want to keep annoying him, so I figured I'd spread my ignorance around, thanks again Kiki ;)

I ran into an issue with one stick of RAM not lighting up but from reading online it's not uncommon so I'm happy to continue before returning that.

Next:

Last night I turned on the machine to update the BIOS but the machine wouldn't connect to the monitor.

I trialed this with the GPU & 16gb RAM installed.

I then tried with GPU removed and 1 stick of RAM as I read that online.

Finally GPU & 1 stick of RAM., none worked but everything appears to powering up.

Can anyone advise what's my next port of call to test? I've read about removing CPU fan and checking is CPU sitting correctly?

Additionally just to ask, I have the CPU PCI cable attached, is this correct or should I simply run the CPU off the main power to the mobo?

Thanks in advance and please assume I know nothing:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Are you using display port or hdmi to connect to the monitor? I had issues with display port on my new build and had to do the work via hdmi to start with. Also, is there any reason you're updating bios? If there's no major reason to I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Your CPU doesn't have graphics built in (you may have heard of internal graphics), so you won't get any joy by disconnecting the GPU. You will never get display output from the motherboard using your current CPU, so make sure you aren't plugging any monitors into the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I then tried with GPU removed and 1 stick of RAM as I read that online.
    Useless step.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600X Processor
    Graphics Model: Discrete Graphics Card Required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Hi guys, thanks for that.

Well GPU appears to be firing up fine. The only thing i did notice was perhaps it wasn't quite as flush on the non clip side of the PCI slot, I tightened the Mobo and it got a little closer but perhaps not completely flush so I'll try and move that.
    Double check the CPU placement and go from there.

Additionally just to ask, I have the CPU PCI cable attached, is this correct or should I simply run the CPU off the main power to the mobo?

I have no idea what this means. Make sure the 24pin cable from the PSU is connected to the motherboard. Additionally, make sure the 8 pin power cable is connected to the top of the motherboard.

Make sure your monitor isn't simply trying to look at the wrong input source. There is usually a label like a screen with an arrow entering the left side, or it might even be labelled "input". Hit that a few times to make sure it is picking up the right source.

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I have no idea what this means. Make sure the 24pin cable from the PSU is connected to the motherboard. Additionally, make sure the 8 pin power cable is connected to the top of the motherboard.

Make sure your monitor isn't simply trying to look at the wrong input source. There is usually a label like a screen with an arrow entering the left side, or it might even be labelled "input". Hit that a few times to make sure it is picking up the right source.

Yes that's exactly what I meant. Apologies for the confusion.
    That is done correctly then.

I check the source to monitor which was also HDMI but I'll try a different connection.

As things stand is there anything i should be looking out for?

I followed all instructions quite earnestly so I'm at a little bit of loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

When you boot the machine, do all the fans spin and stay on? Have you been able to get to the bios or has the PC not booted at all?

Have you connected the cable from your monitor to the ports on the graphics card?

Is the monitor on, power cable in correctly, cable connected correctly, right source or whatever selected?

jebidiah wrote: »
    When you boot the machine, do all the fans spin and stay on? Have you been able to get to the bios or has the PC not booted at all?

Yes all fans, CPU and Case fans spinning fine. No it's simply not recognising the PC

Have you connected the cable from your monitor to the ports on the graphics card?

Yes connected via HDMI only, I have a VGA cable now so I'll bring that home this evening.

Is the monitor on, power cable in correctly, cable connected correctly, right source or whatever selected?
    I'm bad but not that bad, the monitor is on ;) yeah all connected fine no issue there. Tried it on a different PC

Answer above thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Answer above thanks very much

Sounds like what happened to my PC. Have you knocked the pin jumper off the motherboard (little black clip)?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sounds like what happened to my PC. Have you knocked the pin jumper off the motherboard (little black clip)?

I'll have to check when I get home. What is the impact of this and how should I have the pin jumper set?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Did you breadboard it? If not you should probably start there.

2. Did you connect the Graphics Cards PCI Power (6PIN) ? The card might spin but not boot without it.

3. Use your "EZ Debug" lights:
    On the edge of the board near the RAM slots there are 4 LEDS:
    CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
    DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
    VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
    BOOT - indicates the

That'll be a strong indicator of whats wrong!

ED E wrote: »
    1. Did you breadboard it? If not you should probably start there.

2. Did you connect the Graphics Cards PCI Power (6PIN) ? The card might spin but not boot without it.

3. Use your "EZ Debug" lights:
    On the edge of the board near the RAM slots there are 4 LEDS:
    CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
    DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
    VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
    BOOT - indicates the

That'll be a strong indicator of whats wrong!

I didnt, I was hoping for an easy solution without having to try that but I'll try it and see.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Just after the talk of those lights ... I had a similarish issue with a Z390 MSI board and the lights told me it was the cpu, so I sucked it up and got another cpu only for that to be the same. Got another board and everything is fine!

FTR I forgot to connect the power to the gpu after switching the board and then putting the gpu in and it posted fine and told me exactly that ;)

Don't see it mentioned but I'd guess it's worth trying to clear the CMOS settings also.

Hi guys, just a quick update.

I took the PC apart last night and re-checked the CPU placement and inserted GPU vertically opposed to horizontally which appeared to fit better.

PC powered up with no issues, connecting to the screen.

I'll be testing the RAM over the weekend and taking it from there but encouraging signs thus far.

I appreciate the responses and hopefully everything remains fine.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I took the PC apart last night and re-checked the CPU placement and inserted GPU vertically opposed to horizontally which appeared to fit better.
    ... and you lost me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think he means with the case lying flat on one side rather than upright :)

Cordell wrote: »
    I think he means with the case lying flat on one side rather than upright :)

Precisely, when inserting while case was upright it didnt seem completely flush.

Also loosened and retightened Mobo so perhaps slightly off till I moved it.

I must seem unreal at the computering

We all gotta start somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paul0123

I am having the exact same problem today. Got my parts at 3 o clock and have been building all day. All fans are working and the little one on my card is making a racket when turned on. My monitor is the problem it’s saying no signal detected. I tried using both hdmi and display port. Also with the hdmi connected from the mobo. I have a few wires left over I’m afraid I’ve missed something.

Advertisement