Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully comp?

Options
  • 18-06-2019 11:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Car is worth about 2000 Euro.

Is it a waste of time getting fully comprehensive insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

What's the difference in price between the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What the difference in premium? Mine was 40 quid, so why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

What's the difference in price between the two?

Haven’t checked yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

When I had the same thoughts as the OP I found it was MORE EXPENSIVE tpft than is was fully comp by about 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Plus with some companies you get free breakdown assist if you have fully comp, RSA for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Mine was only a few quid. The majority of claims these days are injuries, so they are exposed on either policy, so some premiums are nearly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The majority of claims these days are injuries, so they are exposed on either policy, so some premiums are nearly the same.

I was looking for my mother, 03 Punto, and some TPO quotes were around €2k while fully comp was €400. So it would appear that TPO people have more crashes than fully comp people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    I was looking for my mother, 03 Punto, and some TPO quotes were around €2k while fully comp was €400. So it would appear that TPO people have more crashes than fully comp people.

It's probably more to do with the people who take out insurance, then stage a fake accident with four passengers on board, all of whom lodge a claim for whiplash, then they cancel the policy. All of those policies are probaly TPO.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's probably more to do with the people who take out insurance, then stage a fake accident with four passengers on board, all of whom lodge a claim for whiplash, then they cancel the policy. All of those policies are probaly TPO.

But if as I found out fully comp is cheaper (this was on an old 02 Polo) then the scammers are just going to take the cheaper policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

my3cents wrote: »
    But if as I found out fully comp is cheaper (this was on an old 02 Polo) then the scammers are just going to take the cheaper policy.

+1 you got me there!

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 you got me there!

Don't worry I'm sure will be times when you spot that my logic isn't quite as acute :)

I can also see that there is probably no incentive to the insurance companies to provide a really cheap minimum cover product that would become the product of choice for anyone wanting to pull off an insurance scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

my3cents wrote: »

They obviously used to as that's why the quotes went up. Now the cost for the rest is going up. The when did you buy the car is another new question to try to spot scsmmers.

Advertisement