Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Bike - Small Amount of Rust - Should I be concerned?

Options
  • 18-06-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Quick question. I am in the process of buying a second hand bike - I just put a deposit on it. It is a 2008 bike. There is a small amount of rust on the surface of the swing arm. It is from a dealer and comes with a six month warranty. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Otherwise the bike is in good condition with only a few little scraps and marks which I assume would be normal for a bike of that age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Any pics? Is it on done deal? Rust is fairly normal in spots on a bike, it wouldn't indicate a problem itself but it would be good if we could see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Eleven year old bikes will often have a little rust on them, its usually treatable and nothing to worry about. Take the seat off and peer in around the subframe and under the petrol tank - excess rust is often out of sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Thanks for the replies. Just to update - I decided not to go ahead with it as on a closer look there was quite a bit of rust in all the little crevasses and joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Clean it as well as you can and then give it twice yearly sprays of ACF50 and it will never be a problem IF it's just surface rust.

Edit: Good call. An owner who has let rust develop in all those little places usually will have not bothered their arse staying on top of regular servicing iv'e always found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Must have been a GS...ist not rust..its spilled coffee......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Must have been a GS...ist not rust..its spilled coffee......:P

Modern BMWs are just brutal for rusting - you can't let them get wet at all. I had a 2014 F800GS and the frame had rust, the bolts were all furred and don't talk to me about the spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Jaysus lads, he didn't even mention the brand. My 18 month old GSA doesn't have any rust. Granted I dont drive it but thats beside the point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

D3V!L wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, he didn't even mention the brand. My 18 month old GSA doesn't have any rust. Granted I dont drive it but thats beside the point :P

You must never have washed it....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

D3V!L wrote: »

I'm a "she" btw! It was a Kawasaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    It was a Kawasaki.

Well, than you made the right decision by walking away

buy a Harley :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I'm a "she" btw! It was a Kawasaki.

Don't be silly , girls can't drive bikes !!

Advertisement