Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's a horrible thing for any family to experience. I thought the family of Jastine Valdez's killer did it with remarkable respect and sympathy for their son's victim.

I think the parents in this case are right to stand by their kids. They certainly shouldn't be complicit in the attempted cover up by their sons that they appear to have been, but standing by them is another matter.

Regardless of everything, these are still kids. God only knows what got in to them or prompted them to do what they did. This killing will define those boys forever, but the parents are right to be there for their kids and do everything possible in aiding their reform. They still have that responsibility to the their children

The 16 year old boy Aaron Campbell found guilty in April of abducting raping and murdering a 6 year old girl on the island of Bhute last year was supported by his mother every day in court.
    She even met his demand that she buy him a tartan suit to wear.
    He too protested his innocence ferociously AND not only testified on his own behalf in the witness box but blamed a totally innocent person naming her and pointing her out in court in a slanderous allegation.
    His mother totally accepted the decision of the jury and he has since admitted his guilt in totality.
    She has not suffered any vigilantism and has returned to the tiny island to live in close proximity to the family of his victim.
    Despite originally telling the media that she wouldn’t disown him, the prison where he’s being held has said that he has had no visitors since he arrived.

corpusvile wrote: »
    "act normal like nothing happened"
    Seems those helpful rules from their homework club came in handy for them.

It wasn’t a homework club, it was a satanic club they set up. Best to stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 corpusvile

splinter65 wrote: »
    It wasn’t a homework club, it was a satanic club they set up. Best to stick to the facts.

I was attempting flippancy which doesn't always carry over well on the internet so my apologies.

According to Boy B it was a homework club which his schoolmates verified according to the IT article. A homework club with decidedly weird sounding rules re acting normally as if nothing happened but a homework club nonetheless with the Satanic thing just to dissuade others from joining. (As homework clubs are apparently very popular with today's teenagers with queues of prospective members probably out the door.)

To clarify I don't believe Satanism or the occult had anything to do with Ana's murder but I'd also take the homework club explanation with a grain of salt even if it was verified by other teens.

corpusvile wrote: »
    I was attempting flippancy which doesn't always carry over well on the internet so my apologies.

According to Boy B it was a homework club which his schoolmates verified according to the IT article. A homework club with decidedly weird sounding rules re acting normally as if nothing happened but a homework club nonetheless with the Satanic thing just to dissuade others from joining. (As homework clubs are apparently very popular with today's teenagers with queues of prospective members probably out the door.)

To clarify I don't believe Satanism or the occult had anything to do with Ana's murder but I'd also take the homework club explanation with a grain of salt even if it was verified by other teens.

Yes my apologies I can see that now. I didn’t mean to criticize you at all.
    We all messed about in my day with ouija boards and sat around holding hands having seances trying to call spirits from the other side.
    Scared the **** out of ourselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 corpusvile

Not at all it's all good, but I found their demeanours combined with these rules rather coincidental. I don't think the full story of this horrific murder will come out for several years personally in bits & pieces but I've a feeling there's more to this case overall than we know, at present. Not necessarily significantly more but just other aspects that haven't come to light yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Something I have thought about is they must have approached her or spoken to her prior to B knocking into her. Then the video and pic on her phone of her tied to a chair and blindfolded. There’s a connection between those two things I’d say. Could they have put her up to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Something I have thought about is they must have approached her or spoken to her prior to B knocking into her. Then the video and pic on her phone of her tied to a chair and blindfolded. There’s a connection between those two things I’d say. Could they have put her up to it?

That was some kind of silly game with her cousin - damsel in distress to see who would rescue them..

Gerianam wrote: »
    That was some kind of silly game with her cousin - damsel in distress to see who would rescue them..

That’s what she told her mam. Sure. But she doesn’t come across as that kind of kid despite being so lonely and isolated. Can’t help think there’s a link. But as the other poster said, there’s a whole lot we will just never know. The mind will fill in the blanks with its own theories. This one has haunted me since the verdict and reading all the lengthy court reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,154 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sometimes things have very simple answers and are irrelevant even when it appears there might be some link. I'm sure detectives and investigators looked into that video and other stuff like that thoroughly and if they felt there was any just reason for including it in the trial, they would have.

Would you say her parents will do the late late or something after the sentencing? I can kinda see that happening somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

The judge was spot on. Too many online idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wrong. It's because they're underage.

Eh no im not wrong. They will have their id's protected into adulthood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It would have been nothing to them ? Are you actually series ? How would you know how the Kriegels feel or what upsets them . Have some little grain of empathy. How disrespectful to second guess a grieving families emotions

I have nothing but respect & sympathy for the Kriegels and I am assuming they would have dealth with B's fathers outburst like water off a ducks back. Do I know that for sure? Of course not but judgeing by the strength and dignity they have shown throughout, I think it is safe to assume. It is also possible that B's father has since given them his apologies. We dont know & it is unfair to judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Would you say her parents will do the late late or something after the sentencing? I can kinda see that happening somehow

Well the Late Late will definitely reach out to them, they had the parents of that boy who was choked to death a few years back didn't they? His killer got some crappy sentence then went off to live in England iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mrjoneill wrote: »
    What is standing by them, is it saying its ok what they did. Is unconditional love saying that. Quite honest I could never get my head around dealing with the perpetrator of such a criminal act esp what Boy A did. I see it different than gun crime typical of teenagers in the US, while it all ends up with the loss of life but shooting has a more remote aspect to it. Where someone kills one with beating them to death over a prolonged period after obv a pre-planning they cant be but sadistic and in this case a totally innocent naive victim.

If you bring a child into the world you have a responsibility to them. That doesn't end because you don't like how they turned out at the age of 13. Their parents do have a responsibility to do everything in their power to assist their child in reforming.

I'm not saying they should have acted as they did in aiding the deceit, just that the kids remain their responsibility and they have no right to walk away from that responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,154 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have nothing but respect & sympathy for the Kriegels and I am assuming they would have dealth with B's fathers outburst like water off a ducks back. Do I know that for sure? Of course not but judgeing by the strength and dignity they have shown throughout, I think it is safe to assume. It is also possible that B's father has since given them his apologies. We dont know & it is unfair to judge him.

Showing strength and dignity through the trial doesn't mean they're not just putting on a brave face. Either way, Boy B's father's reaction and outburst deserves to be condemned, and I think it's entirely fair to judge him on it.

Apologies for his son brutally murdering their daughter? Or apologies for his son not divulging what he knew when Ana first was reported missing? Or apologies for his son never having given them the truth of how they lost their daughter? Or apologies for putting them through a trial rather than pleading guilty and avoiding it? Or apologies for his disgusting outburst? Or apologies for facilitating his sons cntinued deceit?

It's possible he has apologised, as you mention. Highly ****ing improbably though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Penn wrote: »
    Showing strength and dignity through the trial doesn't mean they're not just putting on a brave face. Either way, Boy B's father's reaction and outburst deserves to be condemned, and I think it's entirely fair to judge him on it.

And the brave parents could have been deeply upset at his outburst .Sometimes its one moment that can cause awful trauma for people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Eh yes you are. Into adulthood, as in they're children now. Which is why they're not being named. That's the only reason for the anonymity, they're minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Omackeral wrote: »
    Eh yes you are. Into adulthood, as in they're children now. Which is why they're not being named. That's the only reason for the anonymity, they're minors.

Can I ask if a child commits a crime and has anonymity can the names be released at 18 ? Or must they remain anonymous if the crime was committed when a child ?

• Advertisement

It’s weird we don’t have an exchange program with the uk or Europe for these cases. Put them overseas in youth detention there to protect their identities rather than them being transferred to mountjoy at 18 and a random Garda or prison guard alerting the press to their names and identities. Which is what will happen come the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Correct.
    “The judicial comments on that have been that anonymity applies beyond the 18 years as well – a lifetime protection really, is the way judges described it in the past.

https://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-ana-kriegel-4681033-Jun2019/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It’s weird we don’t have an exchange program with the uk or Europe for these cases. Put them overseas in youth detention there to protect their identities rather than them being transferred to mountjoy at 18 and a random Garda or prison guard alerting the press to their names and identities. Which is what will happen come the time.

On this thread anyone who mentions prison thinks they will go to Mountjoy at the age of 18, how do people know this already?
    Won't Boy A probably be sent to Arbour Hill Prison because he was also found guilty of sexual assault?

tuxy wrote: »
    On this thread anyone who mentions prison thinks they will go to Mountjoy at the age of 18, how do people know this already?
    Won't Boy A probably be sent to Arbour Hill Prison because he was also found guilty of sexual assault?

Good point. Never thought of that.
    They’re only minutes away from us regardless of the prison.
    What comes after is the thing.
    No way their identities remain secret when that transfer happens. If they are t revealed before then.

Only pointed it out because some people seem to think they will get what's coming to them when they are 18 but I would think Arbour Hill would offer them protection. Or even if it's not Arbour Hill they won't be in with general population.

This is all assuming they won’t launch an appeal one or both of them.
    This is where the greed of the lawyers comes in. They’ll do it just for the money and convince the families they have a case. When in reality we all know they do not. Neither of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If you bring a child into the world you have a responsibility to them. That doesn't end because you don't like how they turned out at the age of 13. Their parents do have a responsibility to do everything in their power to assist their child in reforming.

I'm not saying they should have acted as they did in aiding the deceit, just that the kids remain their responsibility and they have no right to walk away from that responsibility
    These monsters are now the responsibility of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

tuxy wrote: »

The Midlands prison also houses sex offenders.

https://extra.ie/2018/01/28/news/irish-news/family-dublin-paedophile-matthew-horan-want-nothing

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

mrjoneill wrote: »
    These monsters are now the responsibility of the state.

And what about the parents? Things haven't turned out as they hoped so they get to just wash their hands and pass the buck on to the state alone?

That might be the easy option for them but as a parent to a child they have a responsibility to put their child's interests ahead of their own and that means doing everything possible to reform the child.

If you bring a child into the world you have a responsibility to them at least until they reach adulthood.

I don't mean they should condone the crime or seek to excuse their child of blame, but instead focus on the child's rehabilitation

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement