Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

1. The Garda investigators thought he was guilty and recommended he be charged.
    2. The DPP agreed having read the details.
    3. The jury agreed he was guilty having listened to the evidence presented.

He’s guilty.

Playing Devils advocate here but...

You're essentially implying that every person that has been convicted in a court of law is guilty.....you don't need me to tell you that mistakes have been made and innocent people sent to prison.

Again I'm not saying Boy B is innocent, just pointing out that I don't think your logic holds up

• Registered Users Posts: 31 corpusvile

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Playing Devils advocate here but...

You're essentially implying that every person that has been convicted in a court of law is guilty.....you don't need me to tell you that mistakes have been made and innocent people sent to prison.

Again I'm not saying Boy B is innocent, just pointing out that I don't think your logic holds up

With respect your logic appears to be that a possible wrongful conviction may have occurred because wrongful convictions have occurred. Plenty of guilty people have been sent to prison too, the vast majority of those convicted actually.

And I think the other poster may well have meant that the jury found him guilty but had far more access to the evidence & overall context of the case so are in a better position to make such a call.

Suckler wrote: »
    Beyond idiotic post.

NO NO NO, not in that way!! FFS

I mean you often read that because the victim is a normal person like ourselves, the judge went softly. Like the old adage, if she was a FF councilors daughter, they'd be hung!! and thus and such

So what I mean Is because her folks are friends with someone of this persuasion, this will be less likely.. if that makes sense.. Not I hope the local crony rings up and executes said parish pump policy to get a death penalty..

c'mon now, yiz know I didn't mean that.

corpusvile wrote: »
    With respect your logic appears to be that a possible wrongful conviction may have occurred because wrongful convictions have occurred. Plenty of guilty people have been sent to prison too, the vast majority of those convicted actually.

And I think the other poster may well have meant that the jury found him guilty but had far more access to the evidence & overall context of the case so are in a better position to make such a call.

We yes, I am implying that it is possible for wrongful convictions to occur. I mean that is just fact. I am not implying that it is applicable to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

splinter65 wrote: »
    Ana Kriegel trial: Sentencing of schoolgirl's murderers adjourned until October

Good news. Hope everything is examined at length.

Why is this good news?

Can't understand why reports were not ready for sentencing date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

I thanked this post by mistake

Hi, donkeykong5! I don't know if you realise you can remove your Thanks by clicking bottom left next to the post, under Report button e.g.
    (6) thanks from:
    Remove Your Thanks

Just click on "Remove Your Thanks" and Bob's your uncle! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

forumdedum wrote: »
    Why is this good news?

Because it takes longer than a few weeks to compile a comprehensive report. It won't be a case of meeting them for a few hours, it will be over a longer period with any changes in behaviours monitored. At the end of the day they are still removed from society while this goes on and having it done properly leaves no grounds for appeal.

Why is this good news?

Obviously no stone is being left unturned to make sure everything is done right and in order. There was a suggestion some clinicians would be hired from England. Obviously all of this takes time, especially now as we are in the middle of the Summer and many of these experts may not be free to get involved straight away. The testing and interviewing and drawing up relevant reports probably take quite some time too. This was only to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's probably a good thing, but can't be pleasant for Ana's parents waiting.

Suckit wrote: »

I'd say even more so Reality by now is beginning to click in with these two Boys. They're probably realising after their day in court with their Parents today, that their friends from school are now off on the Summer Hols free to run around as they please, enjoying their freedom, which the Boys now don't have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I thanked this post by mistake

Hi, donkeykong5! I don't know if you realise you can remove your Thanks by clicking bottom left next to the post, under Report button e.g.
    (6) thanks from:
    Remove Your Thanks

Just click on "Remove Your Thanks" and Bob's your uncle! :p
    Ok. Thanks. I'm not great on the phone to be honest. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We yes, I am implying that it is possible for wrongful convictions to occur. I mean that is just fact. I am not implying that it is applicable to this case.

This is the only case I was referring to.
    I read all the evidence and came to the same conclusions as the Garda, DPP and the Jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Because it takes longer than a few weeks to compile a comprehensive report. It won't be a case of meeting them for a few hours, it will be over a longer period with any changes in behaviours monitored. At the end of the day they are still removed from society while this goes on and having it done properly leaves no grounds for appeal.

Where are they in custody now until sentencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Oberstown house. there is nowhere else to put them now that st patricks is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

In Oberstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

The probation reports were done. Can’t be much detail in those, given the short time they had. I wonder why they didn’t ask for more time too?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 corpusvile

Nobody is saying the system is infallible or that wrongful convictions don't happen & I'm aware you're not applying it here to this case specifically but the logic is still flawed with respect. Usually in wrongful convictions once they become known, there's a clear cut path to see how it occurred. There might be evidence planting, coerced confession, mistreatment, mistaken identity unfair due process etc. Even if someone has their conviction overturned on technicalities, the technicalities themselves are specified. But there's usually a "wtf" style epiphany in such cases, an understanding how the wrongful conviction occurred once the fog clears.

Here there's nothing of that nature. Gardaí did an excellent job even the defence found no flaws. Their trial was certainly fair, no legal errors seem to have happened. Judge seem quite fair in assessing evidence admissibility or lack thereof.

So I can't see them even having grounds for an appeal in this case.

But in general everyone knows wrongful convictions occur but there's no grounds to assume this one is re boy B. Again with respect the argument seems to be that a wrongful conviction could occur because wrongful convictions occur & that's not really how it works.

If there's going to be any appeal, it may be in connection with length of sentence, but that's jumping the gun a bit at this stage. Just a thought.

Obviously no stone is being left unturned to make sure everything is done right and in order. There was a suggestion some clinicians would be hired from England. Obviously all of this takes time, especially now as we are in the middle of the Summer and many of these experts may not be free to get involved straight away. The testing and interviewing and drawing up relevant reports probably take quite some time too. This was only to be expected.

I like most others hope all is done right.

I recall the Yorkshire Ripper's appeal on grounds of insanity were thrown out at the trial. Against advice of experts I think.

Suckit wrote: »

Not really a good thing. A delay like this is only going to benefit the defendants. Spending 3 extra months basically getting to know the defendants better is not going to incline a Judge to treat them more harshly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

I like most others hope all is done right.

I recall the Yorkshire Ripper's appeal on grounds of insanity were thrown out at the trial. Against advice of experts I think.

How could an appeal be thrown out at the trial? Did he appeal before he was convicted?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    From what I hear the opposite. Reports from Osberstown are that they are quite boastful about what they have done and other young offenders are appalled.

Little demons.

Source?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Conversation with a social worker.

Naturally these 2 are seriously flawed in many many ways. If they could do that to that young lady nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It’s called Oberstown, not Osberstown. And let’s face it, you don’t have any reports from there.

+1. no journo in the country has been able to talk anyone into loosening their lips over how those lads are getting on in there, a poster on here knows nothing either.

corpusvile wrote: »
    Nobody is saying the system is infallible or that wrongful convictions don't happen & I'm aware you're not applying it here to this case specifically but the logic is still flawed with respect. Usually in wrongful convictions once they become known, there's a clear cut path to see how it occurred. There might be evidence planting, coerced confession, mistreatment, mistaken identity unfair due process etc. Even if someone has their conviction overturned on technicalities, the technicalities themselves are specified. But there's usually a "wtf" style epiphany in such cases, an understanding how the wrongful conviction occurred once the fog clears.

Here there's nothing of that nature. Gardaí did an excellent job even the defence found no flaws. Their trial was certainly fair, no legal errors seem to have happened. Judge seem quite fair in assessing evidence admissibility or lack thereof.

So I can't see them even having grounds for an appeal in this case.

But in general everyone knows wrongful convictions occur but there's no grounds to assume this one is re boy B. Again with respect the argument seems to be that a wrongful conviction could occur because wrongful convictions occur & that's not really how it works.

I broadly agree with what you are saying.

My point is that no conviction is infallible, mistakes do happen (no-one , including myself know every exact detail of the case).

Let's say for instance Boy A volunteers that Boy B did not know of his intention to kill? It's unlikely but would immediately cast doubt on Boy B's murder conviction.

Again i'm not saying Boy B is not guilty, I just found the sentiments of the particular post I initially responded to a little troubling

I broadly agree with what you are saying.

My point is that no conviction is infallible, mistakes do happen (no-one , including myself know every exact detail of the case).

Let's say for instance Boy A volunteers that Boy B did not know of his intention to kill? It's unlikely but would immediately cast doubt on Boy B's murder conviction.

Again i'm not saying Boy B is not guilty, I just found the sentiments of the particular post I initially responded to a little troubling

Before and during the trial was when Boy A had every opportunity to say such a thing, but he chose to remain silent.

Before and during the trial was when Boy A had every opportunity to say such a thing, but he chose to remain silent.

He sure did.

Sometimes people don't confess/tell the truth for years after conviction

In my post I said it's very unlikely, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vlthap

If there's going to be any appeal, it may be in connection with length of sentence, but that's jumping the gun a bit at this stage. Just a thought.

Has either boy's legal team indicated they were appealing the conviction. I was half expecting Boy B's legal team to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Vlthap wrote: »
    Has either boy's legal team indicated they were appealing the conviction. I was half expecting Boy B's legal team to do this.

Why did you think that?
    They can't just appeal because they don't like the outcome. They would have to find fault with the way the trial was conducted.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Was it the case boy A didn't deny having sex with Ana?, he said no comment. As it was the prosecutions case to prove he sexually assaulted her?

The reason I ask is because he surely told his parents and defence he had consensual sex with her. The evidence proves he did. How does his parents stand over that. If they know he had sex then they surely know he did the rest of brutal crimes.

They shouted at the jury after the verdict knowing what these monsters did. Shame on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement