Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

That Victim Impact Statement is so harrowing.
    God love Ana’s parents and give them some peace.

Heartbreaking.

An eye for an eye comes to mind here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

salmocab wrote: »
    Think it’s the minister for justice of the day who has the final say on lifers being released.

Yes I'm far from an expert on the matter so would be interested in any correction to what I stated.
    You're right it will be the decision of the future minister for justice based on the report from the parole board.

For now all we can hope for is that a life sentence will be handed down for both boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

According to the Garda inspector neither of the boys would tell how and when they planned the whole thing. How they decided on who would call for Ana and where she was to be taken. How the tape, masks etc got to the house.
    A lot of this pre-planning they kept to themselves.

Evil is too small a word to describe those two.

He agreed there were disputes between the two boys' accounts:

about whose idea it was to meet Ana in the first place
    who decided Boy B was to call for her
    who decided where they were to meet up
    who brought what to the house, especially in relation to the length of tape found around her body
    how her clothing was removed
    who assaulted her and with what
    who smashed her phone when it started to ring
    who produced the tape and put it on her neck
    whether there had been any previous discussion about Boy A wanting to kill Ana and how they came up with similar accounts as part of the cover up afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Little ****es should be jailed for life, even now not coming clean. I hope the judge does the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Little ****es should be jailed for life, even now not coming clean. I hope the judge does the right thing

There are guidelines laid down for sentencing juveniles.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1029/1086204-sentencing-legislation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Davidahig wrote: »
    Will they be sentenced today and if not why not?

Will they be named and if not why not?

No there is too much to do
    No they are minors

salmocab wrote: »
    No there is too much to do
    No they are minors

Do you know at what point Darren Goodwin was named?

The pain of living without her was unbearable she said.

It was no longer a life, not even an existence, but a misery they must endure for the rest of their lives. Every family occasion was entrenched with pain.

Those two evils don’t deserve to exist either. Life should mean life locked up. That’s the sentence The Kriegel’s have been given so those scum should get no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are guidelines laid down for sentencing juveniles.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1029/1086204-sentencing-legislation/

Looking at that, these guys will be out well before they turn 30.

And people wonder why they have no faith in the Irish justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He was released after only 13 years, free at 28. :( And still no remorse.
    How come Darren Goodwin was named and these two aren't?

• Advertisement

Too much to do? They have the whole day!

This is like Brexit, postpone,mpostpone postpone.

It's an unprecedented complex case.

How come Darren Goodwin was named and these two aren't?

Was he named before he turned 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Can't believe the news said boy b is considered to be a low risk of offending again. I think both of them are like dogs that have tasted the blood of a sheep. There's no way they won't kill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yep,

Boy (16) sentenced to life in prison for Laois murder
    Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 01:00

A 16-year-old Co Laois boy who murdered a 14-year-old boy was sentenced to life in prison in the Central Criminal Court this morning.

Darren Goodwin, of Graigue, Mountmellick, Co Laois, was found guilty last July at the Central Criminal court of murdering Daragh Conroy, who was hammered to death for his mobile phone.

Goodwin had pleaded not guilty to the murder at Briar Lane, Mountmellick, on November 11th, 2003.

Passing sentence this morning, Mr Justice Barry White called Mr Goodwin a "danger to society." He refused leave to appeal, ruling that the matter should be reviewed on the tenth anniversary of the trial, in July 2014.

Goodwin, dressed in a blue tracksuit, sat silently and without expression throughout the sentencing. The stoic demeanor was in contrast to his body language before the proceedings began, when he was fidgeting and clearly nervous.

"You killed an innocent 14-year-old boy in a premeditated, vicious, brutal and callous manner," Justice White told Goodwin.

"You deprived Daragh Conroy of life at a time when, in the normal course of events, he would have had his entire life before him. You have devastated the life of his mother, who will grieve to her dying day for her only child. You have brought shame and disgrace upon your family. [Your mother] will be branded for the rest of her life as a parent of a murderer. And you have ruined your own life."

Justice White said by pleading not guilty to the charges, Goodwin gave the court the opportunity to observe his attitude and demeanor.

"Your attitude was one of total indifference to what was going on... You showed nothing but scorn for this trial in particular and society in general," he said.

"It has been urged upon me that you are remorseful," said Justice White, but had that been the case, he added, "that remorse would have manifested before the trial.... I find it hard to believe that any expression of remorse from you is real or genuine."

Goodwin's face did not change when Justice White passed the sentence of imprisonment for life. His mother cried briefly.

Justice White brought attention to questions of motive during the sentencing, saying he was worried about evidence that had emerged during the trial - that the killing of Daragh may have been a "trial run" for the killing of a garda - would not be seen if the case went to the Court of Criminal Appeals.

He said evidence for the possible motive was obtained by the "attitude... and views expressed by the client and other juveniles, including [Goodwin's] friends and friends of the deceased."

He said the motive may have been theft, a trial run for the eventual murder of a member of An Garda Siochana or a combination of both. The defence argued that the matter was excluded from evidence and was not tested.

Justice White also said Goodwin was "certainly a danger to his father."

A psychologist who met with Goodwin reported that, when asked why Daragh Conroy was chosen, the accused said he "was in the wrong place in the wrong time. Had he not been there, [Goodwin] said he would have killed his father instead."

Asked if he would trade the life of Daragh Conroy for the death of his father, Goodwin said he would.

After the sentencing Justice White, speaking to Goodwin's mother Ms Olive Goodwin, said: "I am not a man with a heart of stone. I too have young children and I know exactly how you feel. I would like to express my sympathy to you."

Daragh's body was found on waste ground in Smithsfield, Mountmellick, shortly before midnight on November 11th, 2003. He had suffered "six separate blows to his head", five of which were "inflicted in rapid succession . . . with considerable force" while he was lying on the ground, the State Pathologist, Dr Marie Cassidy, told the court during the eight-day trial.

The jury of five men and seven women found the youth guilty by a majority of 11-1 last July.

Yep,

Boy (16) sentenced to life in prison for Laois murder
    Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 01:00

A 16-year-old Co Laois boy who murdered a 14-year-old boy was sentenced to life in prison in the Central Criminal Court this morning.

Darren Goodwin, of Graigue, Mountmellick, Co Laois, was found guilty last July at the Central Criminal court of murdering Daragh Conroy, who was hammered to death for his mobile phone.

Goodwin had pleaded not guilty to the murder at Briar Lane, Mountmellick, on November 11th, 2003.

Then it would seem it's at the judges discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Some of these hearings run into the night. Could they not keep it going? They have the reports!

Brexit is unprecedented and complex as well so it looks like both cases will have extensions.

The judge isn’t going to rush his decision because the public want information quickly. He’ll do it when he has decided it’s the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

maybe the judge has to read over the reports throughly before sentancing them? idk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Be right back

I hope whatever sentence they get, won't be backdated to when they were first found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That poor mother and father, God love them. I hope they find peace in life in some shape or form.

No need to comment on the boys everyone else has said it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just like when the House of Commons decides it's the right time for the UK to leave the EU:rolleyes:.

It's just putting Ana's family through more stress by prolonging it.

Easy know it's mid term. Today was the sentence hearing, it was always unlikely that the sentence would not be handed down today, this gives the judge a chance to ponder over the Victim Impact Statement and other reports. These two are in custody anyway so you'll excuse the judge for not rushing the decision to satisfy your voyeuristic needs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sentencing next Tuesday.

Could they not have gotten it over and done with today?

It's like the UK trying to leave the EU.

What the hell has brexit got to do with this case and with this thread? Every single post you made in here is a reference to brexit. What is your obsession with brexit? Actually, don't bother answering, I don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Let’s hope that wanker of a father of Boy B keeps his ****ing mouth shut this time.

If not, throw him in jail for contempt.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50210221?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

The grandfather of Boy A said his family offered "sincerest regret and remorse" to the Kriégel family.

He described Mrs Kriégel's statement as eloquent and passionate.

He said Boy A "was and is a loving, caring and kind child" and that there "will be a great gap in all our (family) lives" depending on the sentence.

He said he hoped in the future to have a positive relationship with his grandson.

A lawyer for Boy B told the sentence hearing that his client disputed the jury's verdict.

'Remorse' for 'inactivity'
    He said the boy and his father had fallen out over what happened and that explained the father's absence at the hearing.

He said the boy was not a risk for re-offending and was being treated for occasional suicidal tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I hope whatever sentence they get, won't be backdated to when they were first found guilty.

That would be a little unfair, no? Don't want to give them any avenue for legal challenge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Thoie wrote: »
    From the Irish Times:

"today’s hearing will include a summary of the evidence by a garda detective inspector and a statement by Ana’s parents and is likely to take a full day."

There’s a petition to get Nolan out. https://www.change.org/p/minister-for-justice-judge-martin-nolan-resignation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50210221?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

The grandfather of Boy A said his family offered "sincerest regret and remorse" to the Kriégel family.

He described Mrs Kriégel's statement as eloquent and passionate.

He said Boy A "was and is a loving, caring and kind child" and that there "will be a great gap in all our (family) lives" depending on the sentence.

He said he hoped in the future to have a positive relationship with his grandson.

A lawyer for Boy B told the sentence hearing that his client disputed the jury's verdict.

'Remorse' for 'inactivity'
    He said the boy and his father had fallen out over what happened and that explained the father's absence at the hearing.

He said the boy was not a risk for re-offending and was being treated for occasional suicidal tendencies.

No sympathy. Not one ounce. Throw away the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Intersting that the little ****e A - despite having been found guilty maintains that he "puts forward an alternative explanation" for the forensics found at the scene.

I'm sure he does. Still blaming everyone but himself for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Hoboo wrote: »
    We all know the story. I'm not reading emotion, you brought emotion into it. By recounting the story your attempt to stir emotion is a defensive reaction, to deflect from debate in which you have little other fact to offer......to highlight you doing so is not "fear", it's someone calling you out, and you don't seem to like it.

It was explained in black and white in the report and these laymen couldn't comprehend it. Yet you expect they would have the ability to apply common sense if part of a jury.

Correct. I should have said 'or rather apply'. Thanks for that.

You can beg as much as you like, you'll still be wrong. I'll repeat what you actually said...

The random jury system is in place to ensure democracy prevails, the role of the jury is as you stated above. A subtle but poorly executed attempt to yet again deflect your inaccuracies.

I'm now done, too emotional, confused and devoid of fact for me.

An interesting misrepresentation of the facts. Not unexpected at this stage. I wish you well.

All throughout the trial I got the feeling that B was the Mastermind .He was the master puppeteer and shows not one single iota of remorse or shame .That is truly worrying in my eyes .

gozunda wrote: »
    Intersting that the little ****e A - despite having been found guilty maintains that he "puts forward an alternative explanation" for the forensics found at the scene.

I'm sure he does. Still blaming everyone but himself for his actions.

Does he know that he will be released at some stage for murder and given new ID but if he admits to sexual assault he will be put on the register ? Sly ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

According to the Independent Newspaper "Boy B's lawyer Damien Colgan SC said that his client was not accepting the verdict of the jury... Mr Colgan also said Boy B's father was not in court, saying there had been a falling out between the pair, over what his father perceived as his son's failure to act on the day"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/boy-found-guilty-of-murdering-ana-kriegel-appears-to-have-accepted-that-he-caused-her-death-court-told-38641837.html

Does he get to promote the fact that he does not accept the verdict of the jury - seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement