Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's really not, people think that because they find it so unbelievable that two minors committed it.
    There's terrible murders every week in Ireland

I'd be of the opinion that it was the victim who was a minor that makes it a worse crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

Kamili wrote: »
    yet we have a sex offenders register - but no right to know if the person next door was a murderer or not.
    :rolleyes:

It’s not a public register afaik. Just for the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can the leniency of the sentences be appealed?

how is a life sentence lenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

To think that these two could pick up where they left off in their mid twenties and start dating some poor, non the wiser young girl is just terrifying. They still have their whole lives to live at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The public have no right to this information. Murderers are released every month in Ireland. Why are you all of a sudden wanting to know what they had for breakfast? Classic media fuelled sensationalism.

I think the poster wants to know if there is a murderer motivated by rape and sexual assault living next door to him. Not what they had for Breakfast.

Fair enough really.

I presume you would have no issue with them rocking up and living beside you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

yet we have a sex offenders register - but no right to know if the person next door was a murderer or not.
    You have no access to the sex offenders register, thankfully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I would take it to mean that he has to do a minimum of 12 years and after that they will decide whether to let him out or to keep him imprisoned for another while.

Yes I know, but the other poster is guessing they'll be out in less than 10. How could they be out in less than 10 if it's not going to be reviewed until 12 years have been served.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The public have no right to this information. Murderers are released every month in Ireland. Why are you all of a sudden wanting to know what they had for breakfast? Classic media fuelled sensationalism.

Cool virtue signaling dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It’s not a public register afaik. Just for the authorities.

my point being that a sex offender must be on the register and a murderer not - how is that right?

A life sentence Irish style is lenient. We all know it.

We well get the pedantic posters saying that we have no idea when these monsters will be released but we all know if will be before they are 30. That's how Irish justice works / malfunctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Seems like the Judge got the sentences right.

No doubt the usual mouth-breathers won't agree.

I'm sure they'll enjoy whipping themselves into a self-righteous froth on behalf of the poor girl's parents - they really have been amazingly dignified throughout this horrendous ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Because everyone is reading the lowest figure and getting mad about that, no matter what happened people were set for outrage.

The public have every right to this information.
    No, they do not. Educate yourself on our laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

riemann wrote: »
    One life ended.

3 families ruined (forever, dare I say it).

2 anonymous gentlemen off on a couple of years holiday happy in the knowledge they can pick up where they left off as nobody will be any the wiser.

I don't care if these two pricks turn their lives around and end up brain surgeons, they should have seen the death penalty.

Over 7 billion people in the world, we should have some standards.

Well institutionalized after 10yrs sentence esp when begun in early teenage yrs. Don't interpret that I have remorse for them, both should never be free again for the enormity of the crime they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guarantee that will be appealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Can the leniency of the sentences be appealed?

DPP can but won’t as it’s all rotten to the core. Public pressure might help as an election is coming up. That’s all theses people care about, feathering their own nest. To think that they’ll be out going about their lives again in their 20s. This country is absolutely rotten to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Surely the principle behind criminal cases taken by the state is that they are conducted on behalf of the public? To determine guilt or otherwise, give appropriate sanction and to protect the public.

How is it useful to the public, if their identities are protected into the future? That's not serving the public interest.

mrjoneill wrote: »
    Well institutionalized after 10yrs sentence esp when begun in early teenage yrs. Don't interpret that I have remorse for them, both should never be free again for the enormity of the crime they did.

And a gravy train for the free legal aiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1191696189139431425

Thanks to Michael O'Toole for all the updates.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 86,785 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boy A sentenced to life, Boy B sentenced to 15 years

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Orla O'Donnell saying sentence for sexual assault was 8 not 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my only complaint with the sentencing would be that Boy B was convicted of murder and only received 4 years longer than that boy in Dun Laoghaire got for attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

this is a very interesting decision, probably worthy of its own discussion.

it'll be very difficult to keep the names out of wide circulation, whether or not the media are prohibited

rightly so imo. convicted killers should have no right to anonymity
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    The courts protecting identities of convicted murderers indefinitely? Where have we gone wrong? I can understand to some extent anonymity for minors, though given severity of this crime, not quite convinced in this case. But absolutely not when they adults.

I don't think the courts are protecting the murderers identity. I think not naming the murderers is protecting their families

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They should be named when they are released. They will be well into adulthood then and no longer minors. I do not understand how on the one hand the judge can describe them both as highly deceptive and skilled, a danger to society and lacking in mental illness and still insist they are never to be named and have anonymous protection for life? What about the protection of society who deserve to be aware when they’re in the same vicinity as these beasts. It’s not good enough.

We all know what life sentences and prison time in Ireland means from past experiences and examples that have been set.

I don't blame the Judge necessarily. His hands are probably tied in terms of sentencing.

But the whole justice system is broken and I have no confidence in it. We should have a sentence for life without any sort of parole. Legislation should be introduced for this IMO.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Surely the principle behind criminal cases taken by the state is that they are conducted on behalf of the public? To determine guilt or otherwise, give appropriate sanction and to protect the public.

How is it useful to the public, if their identities are protected into the future? That's not serving the public interest.
    They boys will do their time handed down by the judge on behalf of the state. Naming these two will cause public outrage and their innocent families will be targeted. They don't deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Thanks to both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Thanks to both of you.

I don't think the courts are protecting the murderers identity. I think not naming the murderers is protecting their families

Everyone locally or in Ireland who has an Internet connection know who the families and boys are.

Ana has no rights anymore.

These boys do.

That's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

my point being that a sex offender must be on the register and a murderer not - how is that right?

An adult murderer gets an automatic life sentence so there would be some means of keeping tabs on them post release anyhow, and no need for a specific register for murderers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement