Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One thing I will say about naming them at 18 is they would be front page news all over again for god knows how long amd I think that's a bit harsh on the Kriegel family to have to look at those boys pictures day in day out. They already know who they are let them do their best to move on without dragging them through another circus in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

JPF82 wrote: »
    From what I have heard vigilante attacks have occurred. Older brother of one of of the boys regularly gets beaten up. A gang of lads where the culprits just last week. Feel so sorry for the brother having to put up with that. I know one of his friends but not him so that's where my info is from.

This nicely points out the ridiculous nature of those on this thread who are calling for the families themselves to be outed.

How to deal with these guys? The best I can think of currently is to lock them up with no chance of parole. Ever. I would favour a change in law in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

One thing I will say about naming them at 18 is they would be front page news all over again for god knows how long amd I think that's a bit harsh on the Kriegel family to have to look at those n=boys pictures day in day out. They already know who they are let them do their best to move on without dragging them through another circus in 3 years.

Perhaps with their consent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

One thing I will say about naming them at 18 is they would be front page news all over again for god knows how long amd I think that's a bit harsh on the Kriegel family to have to look at those boys pictures day in day out. They already know who they are let them do their best to move on without dragging them through another circus in 3 years.

Not being smart, but it's hardly the case that they would have forgotten about it until reminded by the paper what happened to their daughter.
    If it were me, I'd be more upset at the thought that they could anonymously slip out and back into society at some stage over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lovely words from Anas Mam and Dad . At the end of the day it is they who need our love and support . Lets keep Ana in our hearts and do not give the boys and reason to think they are in anyway important . I am in one way glad they are not named and their photos splashed on newspapers , they must not for one minute they are in some perverse way gaining attention or notariety
    Ana photo is in all our hearts and memories , let the boys sink into oblivion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Ana’s father summed it up better than anyone: the duty of sentence lies with the judge alone. “For our part, forever is not long enough”. RIP Ana.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Ana’s father summed it up better than anyone: the duty of sentence lies with the judge alone.

While I can see what he meant, unfortunately the Judge can only hand down a sentence which is written into our law.

I feel that the sentencing maximums need to be changed radically in such a case, e.g. if not life meaning life then at least something like a 50 year minimum time served sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Life for A and 20 years for B with no reviews for either. Plus identification when they turn 18. They would be reasonable sentences not what was handed down today.

I see the craven Journal is still not allowing comments (and by extension, criticism / condemnation of the murderers). Who are they trying to protect?

Jesus, 12 and 8 years is disgracefully low for what they did. Not even close to fitting the crime.
    I truly hope their names and faces make it to the public when they walk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Jesus, 12 and 8 years is disgracefully low for what they did. Not even close to fitting the crime.

See, that is just not correct.

It's life and 15 years. Both to be REVIEWED after 12 and 8 years respectively.

Let's not pretend any of us can see into the future and guess how those hearings go.

BTW if Boy A so much as breaks a red light when/if he's released his life sentence can be reactivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I truly hope their names and faces make it to the public when they walk free.

Unfortunately these vermin will probably get new identities abroad like James Bolgers killers did.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Good report on the six one news just now. The Gardai really did follow procedure with remarkable precision in order to minimise any chance of unfair treatment accusations by the defence. While you might have felt like they were getting “preferential” treatment before and during the trial, it really was all done in order to secure an honest and just conviction. An amazing job considering children murdering children is a rarity in Ireland and so it would be such new ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I don't really want to know who they are. Ana and her parents are the ones who are directly affected by what they did and they've faced them and told them the suffering they've brought to them and their daughter.

Any protection offered by anonymity is for their families, not for them.

They've got their punishment, I've no further interest in them only to hope that they develop some sense in years to come and are completely thwarted by what they did.

These little pricks didn’t show any emotion or remorse throughout the trial....they don’t give a damn other Than the affect it has on them.... they shouldn’t be considered for release ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Suckit wrote: »
    Given that they're 15 and half of their natural life is 7½ years, they may spend more than that.

But if either of them commit suicide then it could be significantly more.

If either of them is to kick the bucket before their sentence is up, I'd hope it's a slow and painful beating rather than a quick suicide.

Good report on the six one news just now. The Gardai really did follow procedure with remarkable precision in order to minimise any chance of unfair treatment accusations by the defence. While you might have felt like they were getting “preferential” treatment before and during the trial, it really was all done in order to secure an honest and just conviction. An amazing job considering children murdering children is a rarity in Ireland and so it would be such new ground.

I have great admiration for the investigating team in this case . Because of their age it could so easily have collapsed but they were meticulous and so professional

What’s the plan for the building she was found in?

Is that somehow relevant?

skallywag wrote: »
    Is that somehow relevant?

It’s an honest question. Would it be knocked now that the trial is over? A memorial garden?

It shouldn’t remain as is that’s for sure.

All the windows have been bricked up so to block any access . Apart from that it looks exactly as it did before .

Somebody just vanished into thin air?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

A memorial garden?

That's a very good idea.

The state should buy that land and property. knock the building and make a memorial garden.

That's a very good idea.

The state should buy that land and property. knock the building and make a memorial garden.

While it may seem like a good idea to some, in the heat of the current moment, it probably is not the wisest thing to do upon reflection.

What happens, God forbid, when the next heinous crime occurs? Does the state then have to act in the same way? If not, why not? Why was this not as important as Ana. Etc.

Etc.

It is a very emotive topic but we need to keep our sanity at the same time and not get lost in it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

That's a very good idea.

That's a bit tacky, I'm sorry to be so direct.

Could I, as an alternative, suggest something small, practical, and useful. In fact suggested by Ana's parents.

I link to a previous post, from where I got the idea...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110474502&postcount=1764

RIP Ana Kriégel

While it may seem like a good idea to some, in the heat of the current moment, it probably is not the wisest thing to do upon reflection.

What happens, God forbid, when the next heinous crime occurs? Does the state then have to act in the same way? If not, why not? Why was this not as important as Ana. Etc.

Etc.

It is a very emotive topic but we need to keep our sanity at the same time and not get lost in it all.

I don't think you should get too wound up about it. It's just a garden. It could be funded privately if you think public money would set a problematic precedent. There already are plenty of memorials around the country to various tragedies.

I don't think you should get too wound up about it. It's just a garden. It could be funded privately if you think public money would set a problematic precedent. There already are plenty of memorials around the country to various tragedies.

I have no objection to some class of memorial, nor would I object to State money being used for the same. If someone wishes to do something privately then all the best to them. I would contribute myself if asked to.

Purchasing the land itself through the State though for this purpose is not the way to proceed in my opinion. It would just open a can of worms any time another tragedy were to happen in the future.

That's a very good idea.

There is a memorial garden in Anas estate made and funded by her neighbours .

And a tree planted and bench in Anas memory in Leixlip Manor

I have no objection to some class of memorial, nor would I object to State money being used for the same. If someone wishes to do something privately then all the best to them. I would contribute myself if asked to.

Purchasing the land itself through the State though for this purpose is not the way to proceed in my opinion. It would just open a can of worms any time another tragedy were to happen in the future.

As I said already the state doesn't need to be involved. It can be done privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's a protected structure, although I don't know if that will continue

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-to-safeguard-house-months-before-ana-murder-38236586.html
    In 2016, Sherborough Properties got planning permission for a 62-bed nursing home to be built on the Glenwood site.

In its application, the proposed development will consist of the change of use and refurbishment of the house and its associated outbuildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I don’t agree with the anonymity. Perhaps the most punitive action is to name such offenders

They chose a particularly vulnerable girl and the judiciary deciding to protect offenders from vulnerability seems wrong.

I’m not for one second suggesting anything vigilante but perhaps society should Review anonymity like This once a minor turns 21.

• Advertisement

It's a protected structure, although I don't know if that will continue

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-to-safeguard-house-months-before-ana-murder-38236586.html
    I would be surprised at that . There is already a large nursing home a mile or so up the road . They have just built a large extension on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement