Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

171170 wrote: »
    Can a child actually decide to appeal a sentence or must a parent/guardian do it on their behalf?

I'd imagine it's down to the person convicted.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Faugheen wrote: »
    No doubt being pushed by his father.

Is this the same father who did not attend court for sentencing because they had a falling out?

tuxy wrote: »
    Is this the same father who did not attend court for sentencing because they had a falling out?

No

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

No

So boy B has more than one father? :confused:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/boy-b-who-was-found-guilty-of-murder-maintains-innocence-38644522.html
    Mr Colgan also said that Boy B's father was not in court, saying there had been a falling-out between the pair

tuxy wrote: »

Irish Times:
    Boy A was accompanied to court by his parents and both grandfathers. Boy B’s father, who had been absent from the sentencing hearing on October 29th, was back in court, along with the boy’s mother and two other family members.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/boy-a-and-boy-b-rarely-looked-up-and-never-at-one-another-1.4073601

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

171170 wrote: »
    Huzza! Some taxpayer-funded barristers are going to have a very happy Christmas. :mad:

Those private school fees / bmw x5 / little place in france / mistresses aren't getting any cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

The reality is that if Boy B had refused to cooperate with police there would be no evidence to charge him with murder...

Did he lure the victim to the scene? Yes
    Did he know what Boy A would ultimately do ? ...no one here can say.

In no way is his crime comparable to that of Boy A . His appeal was inevitable.I’d say he’ll be out in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

No doubt being pushed by his father.

Boy A told him he wanted to kill her, he lured her miles away from her home on false pretences and then he managed to place himself at the scene while it was all unfolding.

He must be extremely naive, or think everyone came down in the last shower.

Added to that he told so much lies to the Police. Far as we know, he still has not told the true story in full. Can we ever berlieve anything he says?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The reality is that if Boy B had refused to cooperate with police there would be no evidence to charge him with murder...

Did he lure the victim to the scene? Yes
    Did he know what Boy A would ultimately do ? ...no one here can say.

In no way is his crime comparable to that of Boy A . His appeal was inevitable.I’d say he’ll be out in two years.

Bollocks. Listen to Frank Greaney’s podcast series where they went through Boy B’s evidence. He set the whole thing up. I was convinced of it at the time and I was even more convinced when I listened to that podcast.

With every lie he told, he always pinned it back to Boy A while dissolving himself of anything, but yet he knew more than he let on the whole time.

He knew full well what was going on and the fact he lied over and over and over again is proof of this.

He was told by Boy A that he wanted to kill her, so he didn’t think much of it and then lured her miles away from her own house to a derelict building? What did he think was going to happen?

The fact anyone here thinks he might not have known is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What's the name of that podcast, please?

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What's the name of that podcast, please?

https://open.spotify.com/show/423eOUseAmEqJNYTKFiVOx?si=AbEEpcaVQH6X2vEgig5Vww

It’s on the Newstalk website somewhere too I’d imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

https://open.spotify.com/show/423eOUseAmEqJNYTKFiVOx?si=AbEEpcaVQH6X2vEgig5Vww

It’s on the Newstalk website somewhere too I’d imagine

It’s this the one in three parts?

If so it’s essential listening.
    Three journalists who covered the whole trial in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

The judge should have stated that any appeals would result in the loss of right to anonymity. Would be interesting to see if he would appeal then, somehow I think not...

dublincelt wrote: »
    The judge should have stated that any appeals would result in the loss of right to anonymity. Would be interesting to see if he would appeal then, somehow I think not...

Is there a precedent for that? It sounds like something that could have been used to leverage a verdict of mistrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Judges don’t make threats like this, we mightn’t like it but they are both fully entitled to make appeals and they can’t be treated any differently to any other criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The judge should have stated that any appeals would result in the loss of right to anonymity..

What a stupid suggestion.

What a stupid suggestion.

You will find such things are the norm when it comes to legal matters in threads on emotional subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope it gets increased

Hes appealing the conviction and not the sentence so cant get it increased. he is more than entitled to appeal it too. I am surprised it took so long to be honest. Was very surprised he was found guilty in the first place.

Hes appealing the conviction and not the sentence so cant get it increased. he is more than entitled to appeal it too. I am surprised it took so long to be honest. Was very surprised he was found guilty in the first place.

Lol.

Have you read anything about the case? Or are you one of those ‘there’s no physical evidence’ types?

He’s entitled to appeal, just he’s being extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lol.

Have you read anything about the case? Or are you one of those ‘there’s no physical evidence’ types?

He’s entitled to appeal, just he’s being extremely naive.
    I'd imagine that his legal counsel has access to ALL the evidence (as opposed to what's been reported in the media), and on that basis thinks that an appeal has a chance of succeeding.

Boy B's naivety or otherwise has very little to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Why can't this scum (Boy A and Boy B) be named and shamed?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd imagine that his legal counsel has access to ALL the evidence (as opposed to what's been reported in the media), and on that basis thinks that an appeal has a chance of succeeding.

Just like Joe O’Reilly’s counsel and that didn’t do him much good.

His naivety has a lot to do with it. He’s guilty and he still thinks he can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,465 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Emme wrote: »

they are children. Murdering children but still children.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

If his legal counsel told him to shut up? and he listened to them, he'd be home now looking forward to his turkey on Christmas Day.

But no, he was smarter than his legal counsel. smarter than the jury & smarter than the judge (not). The state had no real evidence against him, he willingly supplied it all to them, thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If his legal counsel told him to shut up? and he listened to them, he'd be home now looking forward to his turkey on Christmas Day.

But no, he was smarter than his legal counsel. smarter than the jury & smarter than the judge (not). The state had no real evidence against him, he willingly supplied it all to them, thankfully.

What did he supply or say off the script?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Emme wrote: »

Plenty of people know their names and have seen their photos.

Their families would be targeted by vigilantes if they were publicly named and shamed.

bigpink wrote: »
    What did he supply or say off the script?

He placed himself at the scene, and told them Boy A said he wanted to kill her.

All this after initially saying he left her at the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

If appeal is allowed does that mean a complete retrial of Boy B. Does he have to give new evidence as grounds for appeal?8

juno10353 wrote: »
    If appeal is allowed does that mean a complete retrial of Boy B. Does he have to give new evidence as grounds for appeal?8

An appeal is not a re-trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

An appeal is not a re-trial.

Boy B has appealed the guilty verdict. I believe that to do so there has to be specific grounds eg judge giving wrong advice to jury, new evidence, etc. If the grounds are accepted then the appeal can go forward. What happens then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement