Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

juno10353 wrote: »
    Boy B has appealed the guilty verdict. I believe that to do so there has to be specific grounds eg judge giving wrong advice to jury, new evidence, etc. If the grounds are accepted then the appeal can go forward. What happens then?

Either way I’d say this thread will get locked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

juno10353 wrote: »
    Boy B has appealed the guilty verdict. I believe that to do so there has to be specific grounds eg judge giving wrong advice to jury, new evidence, etc. If the grounds are accepted then the appeal can go forward. What happens then?

I'm not sure but it may be reviewed by a panel of judges?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I'm not sure but it may be reviewed by a panel of judges?

Or possibly go to a re-trial. More fun for Ana's suffering parents - he really is a piece of crap. Of course his lawyers don't really care whether he wins or not as either way, they'll be paid their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

171170 wrote: »
    Or possibly go to a re-trial. More fun for Ana's suffering parents - he really is a piece of crap. Of course his lawyers don't really care whether he wins or not as either way, they'll be paid their fees.

Can’t go a retrial just because they didn’t like the initial verdict, has to be because there was something wrong with how the first trial was carried out . Like evidence allowed that should not have been or the judges direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Can’t go a retrial just because they didn’t like the initial verdict, has to be because there was something wrong with how the first trial was carried out . Like evidence allowed that should not have been or the judges direction.

I know that. Doesn't change what I wrote, i.e. that one possible outcome of the appeal would be a re-trial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

171170 wrote: »
    I know that. Doesn't change what I wrote, i.e. that one possible outcome of the appeal would be a re-trial!

Ain't going to happen.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Emme wrote: »
    Why can't this scum (Boy A and Boy B) be named and shamed?

They can.

Or new evidence. Which he can introduce whenever he likes as he held back so much from the initial trial. The 'I was just a really scared kid' line is hard to argue with when you're dealing with a 13 year old in a murder trial. He obviously didn't expect the murder conviction, so now is going to tell a different story. That story might be the truth. Or it might be a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or new evidence. Which he can introduce whenever he likes as he held back so much from the initial trial. The 'I was just a really scared kid' line is hard to argue with when you're dealing with a 13 year old in a murder trial. He obviously didn't expect the murder conviction, so now is going to tell a different story. That story might be the truth. Or it might be a lie.

I understand that an appeal can be made in light of new evidence. But can it be permitted when that evidence was deliberately withheld by the person on trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭volchitsa

tuxy wrote: »
    I understand that an appeal can be made in light of new evidence. But can it be permitted when that evidence was deliberately withheld by the person on trial?

Good question. It's hard to see how it could really help him, he pled not guilty first time, so if he failed to provide the evidence then, it's hard to see how it could be so convincing that it would make a jury find him not guilty second time around - and if he failed the second time, would he provide another version and have yet another go?

OTOH, how much extra leeway does his young age get him? Quite a lot I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Maybe he could explain the real reason why he took the builder's tape from his father's shed and explain why he gave it to boy A.

Could he get a harsher sentence if the appeal finds he had an even greater part in it?
    I know it won't happen but technically possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Could he get a harsher sentence if the appeal finds he had an even greater part in it?
    I know it won't happen but technically possible?

No. The conviction and sentence are dealt with seperately. The only way the sentence could be increased is if the DPP appeals it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Nonsense rumour deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Hes appealing the conviction and not the sentence so cant get it increased. he is more than entitled to appeal it too. I am surprised it took so long to be honest. Was very surprised he was found guilty in the first place.
    Your entitled to your opinion like I will express mine.
    I think he was a little smart ass that thought he was far too smart for the rest of us mortals. He led another kid to her death knowing full well what was in store for her or a serious sexual assault. I have already outlined in previous post why I feel he did the crime, he should now do the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Boy B to appeal conviction for murder of Ana Kriegel

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/boy-b-to-appeal-conviction-for-murder-of-ana-kriegel/ar-BBZ3XJf?ocid=spartanntp

Been reading up more about this case since I read that. Those boys... my god. Burn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolute physcopaths....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

unless he has some unknown ace up his sleeve he hasnt a snowballs chance in hell.

unless he has some unknown ace up his sleeve he hasnt a snowballs chance in hell.

Well I certainly hope not.

I get people fight and boys especially throw punches etc but this is pure evil what they done.

Nuts to think 2 13 year olds could even think let alone actually take action of these thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So can we take it that Boy A will not be appealing now?

bazermc wrote: »
    So can we take it that Boy A will not be appealing now?

There is forensic evidence linking him the crime. His only hope was that the Garda or prosecution made a big mistake and it would appear they did not.

There is forensic evidence linking him the crime. His only hope was that the Garda or prosecution made a big mistake and it would appear they did not.

Which is amazing as unfortunately they can be quite sloppy to be honest.

You need people that actually do their job and do it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Which is amazing as unfortunately they can be quite sloppy to be honest.

You need people that actually do their job and do it well.

In fairness, the Gardai seemed to do an outstanding job on this case.

It would have been easy for them to use forensics to convict Boy A but they saw that Boy B was up to his neck in this horrible crime and they put the case together despite Boy B’s endless lying.

No wonder his father called the Gardai “scumbags” - he thought his son could lie his way out of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Well I certainly hope not.

I get people fight and boys especially throw punches etc but this is pure evil what they done.

Nuts to think 2 13 year olds could even think let alone actually take action of these thoughts.
    It causes me a lot of bother & cant get my head around it. When I see 13yr old boys I immediately think could they be capable of such. To do such is the territory of twisted hardened criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

mrjoneill wrote: »
    It causes me a lot of bother & cant get my head around it. When I see 13yr old boys I immediately think could they be capable of such. To do such is the territory of twisted hardened criminals

Or of teenage satanists. The media won’t lift that rock despite the evidence presented in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Caquas wrote: »
    Or of teenage satanists. The media won’t lift that rock despite the evidence presented in court.

What evidence? Are you suggesting there was other evidence presented that wasn't reported or are you putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

My heart goes out to her parents. My heart goes out to the two young boys who will live with this case. Their parents. Their sentences

We can talk about what needs to be done etc
    But there is a darkness within human beings. That spills out even in civilised society.
    You are better off not trying to figure it out.
    It's just there.
    This will happen again. It's rare thank God
    If only we got so outraged over child poverty

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What evidence? Are you suggesting there was other evidence presented that wasn't reported or are you putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5?

Kids are often attracted to the demonic because of the bull**** they are peddled by society. If only we would seriously cherish children. Connaught rugby club got 20 million. A pilot scheme to give deprived kids free books for school got 1m
    If you vote FF or FG that's what you approve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Kids are often attracted to the demonic because of the bull**** they are peddled by society. If only we would seriously cherish children. Connaught rugby club got 20 million. A pilot scheme to give deprived kids free books for school got 1m
    If you vote FF or FG that's what you approve

I'm asking what evidence was presented in court to support that claim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement