Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Seeing the picture makes it worse. How could he do it?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

MrFresh wrote: »
    Was it a presenter or caller?

I heard it. It was a journalist who had covered the trial. At the end of the interview where he'd referred to Boy A and B throughout, he referred to Boy A twice by name - clearly accidentally as he immediately started stumbling over his words when he'd realised what he'd done. Interview was quickly terminated! Checked the kid out on Google and doesn't seem 'the type' on the surface [snipped].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I heard it. It was a journalist who had covered the trial. At the end of the interview where he'd referred to Boy A and B throughout, he referred to Boy A twice by name - clearly accidentally as he immediately started stumbling over his words when he'd realised what he'd done. Interview was quickly terminated! Checked the kid out on Google and doesn't seem 'the type' on the surface [snipped].

I'd say the journalist will be in big trouble, particularly if he was in the court room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Well that's his career toast then

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

GreeBo wrote: »
    Surely they would have been able to ascertain if the DNA was boy B's?

I think that if Boy B had told the truth from the start he wouldnt have received any custodial sentence since there is a lack of any real evidence against him and we dont have Joint Enterprise here.

I'm not that concerned with him changing his story, he is a kid afterall, but his demeanour during the interviews seems to have been pretty disturbing.
    Well unless the truth was Boy A wanted to kill Ana (as he told Boy B) so Boy B brought Ana to a derelict house and watched Boy A attack Ana (as Boy B told the psychologist).

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    I'd say the journalist will be in big trouble, particularly if he was in the court room.

Was in courtroom throughout. In fairness it was clearly accidental.

NB: I've received a couple of PMs already asking me to name the boy. Apologies, but I ain't gonna do it.

Who was the journalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yurt! wrote: »
    Who was the journalist?

ex journalist.

The media really can't help themselves. I know this instance was a serious foot-in-mouth clanger, but they apparently nearly collapsed the Paddy Jackson / Stuart Olding trial a couple of times. Apart from driving the country mental with their salacious reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I heard it. It was a journalist who had covered the trial. At the end of the interview where he'd referred to Boy A and B throughout, he referred to Boy A twice by name - clearly accidentally as he immediately started stumbling over his words when he'd realised what he'd done. Interview was quickly terminated! Checked the kid out on Google and doesn't seem 'the type' on the surface - seems to have been a leading underage GAA player.

There's a different kid with same name [snipped]. Possibly you stumbled across him instead.

Goes to show the dangers of all the unconfirmed online speculation around their identities

EDIT - as with Padraig Mor above - I won't be replying to any PMs asking for the names. I don't want to be responsible for the wrong kid being targetted just for having the same name as a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boggles wrote: »
    ex journalist.

https://www.thejournal.ie/oberstown-ice-cream-4155500-Aug2018/

Here's where they poor boys are currently. :rolleyes:

We need a proper childs prison and more adult prisons. When was the last one built in Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

blackwhite wrote: »
    There's a different kid with same name [snipped]. Possibly you stumbled across him instead.

Goes to show the dangers of all the unconfirmed online speculation around their identities

In that case I'd be changing my name ASAP.

blackwhite wrote: »

Could well be. And, yes, shows the dangers in putting the names out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Penn wrote: »
    2) personally I believe that probably, if that was indeed different dna, that was boy b. We only have his word for it that he left the scene and he kept changing that story to put himself closer every day. His last claim, to the shrink, was that he was there for the rape at least. Anyway it wasn’t admissible.

Surely they would have checked Boy B's DNA, no? No forensic evidence of Boy B was found at the scene, so they would have checked Boy B to see if his DNA matched the unidentified DNA that was found.
    The DNA was found to be that of a male other than Boy A but they could not get a full profile to identify whose it was. It's not possible to conclude it was Boy B's or anyone's, unfortunately, as the sample was too small. It wasn't a semen sample, it was 'contact' DNA on her vest top from her vest being handled by a male other than Boy A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

https://www.thejournal.ie/oberstown-ice-cream-4155500-Aug2018/

Here's where they poor boys are currently. :rolleyes:

We need a proper childs prison and more adult prisons. When was the last one built in Ireland??

Talk about hardship! The prisons in this country are an absolute disgrace. Closer to holiday camps than prisons. You'd laugh at the below, if it wasn't so serious.
    Staff at the centre consistently deal with official complaints made about them. On one occasion last month, a male staff member found himself at the centre of an official complaint because he put the Dublin GAA football match on the TV. A detainee wished to watch something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Could well be. And, yes, shows the dangers in putting the names out there.

I also don't get the point in knowing their names at this stage*. Anyone who knows them already knows they're Boy A and Boy B, and anyone who doesn't know them, it's not going to matter what their names are because you don't know them.

*It would be different when they're being released, as I would want to know if someone like that moves into the locality etc, but at this stage given they're in jail and likely will be until at least adulthood, knowing or trying to find out their names at this stage is pointless.

We need a proper childs prison

What's a proper childs prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Imagine those boys were 11 in 2015 or 2016. How could people that young be so cynical and jaded.

I mean, I know plenty of us became sullen and moody at 13 - lord knows I did - but THAT level of nihilism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Penn wrote: »
    I also don't get the point in knowing their names at this stage*. Anyone who knows them already knows they're Boy A and Boy B, and anyone who doesn't know them, it's not going to matter what their names are because you don't know them.

*It would be different when they're being released, as I would want to know if someone like that moves into the locality etc, but at this stage given they're in jail and likely will be until at least adulthood, knowing or trying to find out their names at this stage is pointless.

I'm very conflicted on the naming side of things.

On one hand, I think names and photos should be out there both now, and again at the time of release for reasons of public safety. The nature of the crime would suggest (to me at least) that there's a real danger of re-offending in the future.

On the other hand - we've seen how quickly the facebook mobs can gather and target the wrong person - and I'd have concerns that a "name-and-shame" approach simply adds fuel to that particular fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/martina-devlin-a-story-of-loneliness-and-a-girl-who-could-have-been-anyones-daughter-38232768.html

Feeling like an over-protective mother but concerned for her child, a conflict any parent can identify with, Ms Kriegel and her husband started searching for Ana there and then. She was still alive when they embarked on their hunt. They reported her missing just four hours after she left home.

The couple did everything possible to keep their child safe but still she ended up violated and murdered. This is a story about a girl who could have been anyone's daughter. Read it and you will weep.

Irish Independent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

If it's the name I've seen there is a couple of pictures that come up on google search of young lads in the area but I'm not surprised that another lad has the same name. I bet those are some of the pictures being shared. Oddly enough I've not seen them named by anyone or pictures shared on twitter, but other posters here are saying it's happening.

Big f up by Red fm!

It has to appear like a castle with spikes and alsatians and gun-turrets and crocodile moats and will be staffed by mean looking men with moustaches. *thunder and lightning*

That'll help red-top newspaper readers sleep at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

GreeBo wrote: »
    Surely they would have been able to ascertain if the DNA was boy B's?

I think that if Boy B had told the truth from the start he wouldnt have received any custodial sentence since there is a lack of any real evidence against him and we dont have Joint Enterprise here.

I'm not that concerned with him changing his story, he is a kid afterall, but his demeanour during the interviews seems to have been pretty disturbing.

They weren’t able to ascertain anything about the dna except it wasn’t the same as boy a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

One where the do hard time and they don't get to lodge complaints about staff who refuse to bring them to get ice-cream. I'd pack them up and send to over to some of the prisons in the US. A few of the old school prison officers would wake them up pretty quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Suckit wrote: »

So sad :(:(:(:(:(

To think she only came to Ireland in 2007 and 12 years later viciously killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The poor journalist. We all make mistakes.

But while I give less than a sh1t about the boys, mistaken identity, damaging a trial outcome, the decent members of their families being targeted by idiots, online platforms getting into trouble... these are risks, and unfair

Remember too, a lot of the mob just enjoy the drama and don't give a sh1t about the victim (and are the types who would have bullied her). If it is illegal to share the names, then people shouldn't be ****ing martyrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

One that doesn't have free ice cream. I've never been to prison and I'd be incredibly lucky if I got ice cream once a month during the summer when I was younger and we had to pay for it. Why are criminals getting free ice cream weekly year round?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Feeling like an over-protective mother but concerned for her child, a conflict any parent can identify with, Ms Kriegel and her husband started searching for Ana there and then. She was still alive when they embarked on their hunt. They reported her missing just four hours after she left home.

Irish Independent

I must say, After reading the first half of that 'article' it seems very inappropriate.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    One where the do hard time and they don't get to lodge complaints about staff who refuse to bring them to get ice-cream. I'd pack them up and send to over to some of the prisons in the US. A few of the old school prison officers would wake them up pretty quickly.
    GarIT wrote: »
    One that doesn't have free ice cream. I've never been to prison and I'd be incredibly lucky if I got ice cream once a month during the summer when I was younger and we had to pay for it. Why are criminals getting free ice cream weekly year round?

Do ye believe all click bait unsourced articles The Journal spunks out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement