Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing name on esb account following mothers death

Options
  • 18-06-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    I lived with my mum up until her death in January this year.  The ESB bill was in her name but I want to change it to my name.  I called customer services and they told me that I would have to be disconnected and pay €300 to be reconnected.  I informed them of my mothers death but they said that it didn't matter.  I subsequently called them to query something else on the bill and they informed me that the account holder would have to call that they couldn't speak to me.  So they hadn't even recorded on the account that I reported my mothers death.  This is very distressing and I can't believe that they can get away with charging €300 just to change a name on an account.  Please tell me that there is another way to do this without getting charged so much.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi lizannecasey, 

We sincerely regret to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

We understand that this is a difficult time. Please accept our condolences on your bereavement.

Is there is still power at the property? If so, it's a matter of closing your late mother's account and opening a new account in your name. A disconnection or reconnection would not be required. We are very sorry for any confusion.

When a new account is opened, there is usually a request for direct debit or a €300 security deposit. If customers set up on direct debit or opt for Pay As You Go, a deposit is not required. 

Given the circumstances, we would like to look into this further.

We need you to please provide us with the following details via private message: 

- The name and address on the account
    - The contact number on the account
    - Your name and contact number

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

Advertisement