Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT: Spare wheel on car?

• 18-06-2019 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

So, I've got the spare wheel on the car for a while as the threads were starting to show on the main, alloy wheel. The spare wheel isn't an alloy but it's a normal full-sized "black" wheel.
    I've got the NCT next week, so I'm wondering if this be OK to pass?

Maybe I'll take the original, with the worn tyre, out of the boot so they don't check it? I heard they'll check it if it's there..

I've seen them fail sillier things, and pass things that can be quite dangerous, so it's kind of hard to tell with them.
    Anyone got experience with this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So, I've got the spare wheel on the car for a while as the threads were starting to show on the main, alloy wheel. The spare wheel isn't an alloy but it's a normal full-sized "black" wheel.
    I've got the NCT next week, so I'm wondering if this be OK to pass?

Maybe I'll take the original, with the worn tyre, out of the boot so they don't check it? I heard they'll check it if it's there..

I've seen them fail sillier things, and pass things that can be quite dangerous, so it's kind of hard to tell with them.
    Anyone got experience with this?

Maybe just buy a new tyre???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Have to have a spare in the boot,

I'm pretty sure, if it's the same as the other wheels (ie the size) then they just view it as a wheel. Doesn't matter what it looks like.

Mundo7976 wrote: »

No you don't. Most new cars don't even have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yikes, I'm doomed so! :pac:

mh4qom.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Only for SPSV's.

(...and it doesn't have to be in the boot. Some vehicles have it bolted underneath or in another compartment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

You don’t have to have one, but if you do i think they have to check it, so it’s better to have nothing than a bad one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If the steel rim diameter is the same as the alloy and the tyre size is exactly the same then you'll be fine.

If it isn't its a fail. (which is most likely as most steel wheels are 15" the odd few are 16")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

Thanks guys. These were my initial thoughts alright. I suppose it's possible that the slightly narrower tyre on the "normal" wheel might affect the brake balance, but I don't think it'd be enough to fail. Hopefully anyway. It's on the back anyway.

The NCT really love when the brakes on both sides are balanced. Even if your brakes are on the verge of falling apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If the steel wheel has a narrower tyre on it than the wheel on the other side then it's a fail.

All wheels and tyres need to have matching dimensions with the other wheel on the same axle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

The only checks on a spare wheel is when it is mounted underneath or externally on the vehicle that it is secure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cocobongo wrote: »
    You don’t have to have one, but if you do i think they have to check it, so it’s better to have nothing than a bad one
    Yep I take mine out along with all the other junk in the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Only for SPSV's.

(...and it doesn't have to be in the boot. Some vehicles have it bolted underneath or in another compartment).

Not any more, if the original equipment is a spray can or whatever then it's acceptable.

Advertisement