Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Castle Future gigs

Options
  • 18-06-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start a separate thread on what the future might hold for Slane Castle as a concert venue

After a very successful show by Metallica this year the next question is who will be the next headliner and when will it be ???

Really hope they put us out of our misery and have AC/DC headline if they do another tour

Coldplay are possibilities as are the usual bands like u2, Guns N Rose's, Muse and Bruce Springsteen

I can actually see Pearl Jam headlining as they haven't played here as a band in years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Might as well start a separate thread on what the future might hold for Slane Castle as a concert venue

After a very successful show by Metallica this year the next question is who will be the next headliner and when will it be ???

Really hope they put us out of our misery and have AC/DC headline if they do another tour

Coldplay are possibilities as are the usual bands like u2, Guns N Rose's, Muse and Bruce Springsteen

I can actually see Pearl Jam headlining as they haven't played here as a band in years

What about starting with Bands who have never played at Slane.

There is only band, who are worthy, to be honest

It should be someone like Radiohead, but it will likely end up with someone like Garth Brooks !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How about scrapping it as a venue? Transport links are dreadful and woe betide if it rains.
    People let nostalgia get the better of them. It's not that great a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'd like to see it go back to a few big acts playing in the one day. Say Pearl Jam with massive support from Alice in Chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Pearl Jam with massive support from Alice in Chains.

Yeah, haven't really heard much from Layne Staley in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

How about scrapping it as a venue? Transport links are dreadful and woe betide if it rains.

It's a one off event every year or two in a unique setting, outdoor events may get rain surprisingly. It's not mandatory that you attend either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

It's a one off event every year or two in a unique setting, outdoor events may get rain surprisingly. It's not mandatory that you attend either!

Its been on twice in 2001 & 2013, but agreed, its a one off event thing, and the venue is spectacular, the unique setting, is part of the reason its the most successfull outdoor(non stadium) location in the country, and the longest established, coming up on 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Surely U2 for 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

2020 will be the 35th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band's only show at Slane and it looks very likely that they will tour next year.I sincerely hope Bruce's Management and Aiken Promotions do not schedule a show there.
    I was at the Springsteen show in 1985,but never attended any show there since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

2020 will be the 35th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band's only show at Slane and it looks very likely that they will tour next year.I sincerely hope Bruce's Management and Aiken Promotions do not schedule a show there.
    I was at the Springsteen show in 1985,but never attended any show there since.
    Slane is an MCD/Live Nation venue.

Springsteen won't be playing there unless he gives up the Aiken connection.

As to whoever plays, it'll be whoever MCD want to put there instead of Croker. Obvious first thoughts: Coldplay, Beyonce, U2 or Ed Sheeran, although Sheeran can sell out 2 nights in Croker, so maybe somewhere else than an instant Slane sell out for him. U2 would probably still sell it out pretty rapidly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

fafy wrote: »
    Its been on twice in 2001 & 2013, but agreed, its a one off event thing, and the venue is spectacular, the unique setting, is part of the reason its the most successfull outdoor(non stadium) location in the country, and the longest established, coming up on 40 years.

Just because its a unique setting doesnt make it a good setting. I went to metallica and the venue is awful. Too many people crammed in, transport was awful and queues were horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

As to whoever plays, it'll be whoever MCD want to put there instead of Croker. Obvious first thoughts: Coldplay, Beyonce, U2 or Ed Sheeran, although Sheeran can sell out 2 nights in Croker, so maybe somewhere else than an instant Slane sell out for him. U2 would probably still sell it out pretty rapidly too.

Could add Picture This to that list after selling out 5 nights at the three arena although could definitely see them playing Croker next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

don't think I'd put myself through the horrors of a Slane concert for anyone

swarmberg wrote: »
    Could add Picture This to that list after selling out 5 nights at the three arena although could definitely see them playing Croker next year.

Please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bypass is planned but could be 5 years or more. As a location it looks spectacular and if it's perfect sound you're after splash out on an expensive sound system. Have done it a number of times, usually with a plan that doesn't involve getting rat-arsed drunk, expecting others to feed me or staying in front of the stage till the very last chord of a gig. Had the rain as well at times and it's not much fun but there's a buzz to being in such a huge crowd. That is its downside but it's the same with any big stadium gig, sheer numbers come as part of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Thanks for that info,hope Bruce does the RDS, and if outside of Dublin,Kilkenny or Limerick again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I think give to an Irish act. Loads I can think of Big Tom for the country side or Aslan for the rock side maybe others there's lots I can think of. Stop bringing the foreigners maybe Dickie Rock for the ballroom jiving crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I think give to an Irish act. Loads I can think of Big Tom for the country side or Aslan for the rock side maybe others there's lots I can think of. Stop bringing the foreigners maybe Dickie Rock for the ballroom jiving crowd?

Big Tom is dead, Aslan will bring the whole of Finglas with them, most of 'em kids, and Dickie must be 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Queen & Adam Lambert are touring US, Australia/NZ next year. MCD brought them to Marlay Park last year...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This was my first year at Slane and I really enjoyed it. Think I was expecting much worse going by the moaning :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, haven't really heard much from Layne Staley in a long time.

That's cos he's dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica were previously dealing with Aiken when they played here afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Queen & Adam Lambert are touring US, Australia/NZ next year. MCD brought them to Marlay Park last year...

... and it didn't sell out.
    They put on a great show, but Slane would be far too ambitious.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was going to say they might be in with a shout with an extremely strong support bill. This will attract the casual gig goer and bohemian rhapsody has no doubt helped the bands popularity rise even more

Doubtful tho as Marley Park didn't sell out

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Marley Park was a year after the did a show in the Point, may have impacted attendance. I know I wasn't bothered seeing them twice in a year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

PTH2009 wrote: »

As long as Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams are back on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

... and it didn't sell out.
    They put on a great show, but Slane would be far too ambitious.

Metallica never sold out the Marley Park either (or the RDS) and people, me included said they’d struggle to fill Slane.

Metallica never sold out the Marley Park either (or the RDS) and people, me included said they’d struggle to fill Slane.

A lot of non-Metallica fans appeared to have gone to Slane just cos it's an iconic venue and a big event to attend. Marley Park isn't really a venue people get hyped about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A lot of non-Metallica fans appeared to have gone to Slane just cos it's an iconic venue and a big event to attend. Marley Park isn't really a venue people get hyped about.

That’s the point I was making. I was responding to a comment about Queen/AL not selling out Marlay so they wouldn’t have a hope in selling out Slane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

System of a Down and Slipknot would be a good spectacle but I don't think they would get the numbers, Metallica can pull in crowds because they are "dad metal" and I think their fans aren't very metal at all, the fans are as metal as Guns N Roses fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Queen and AL will attract all sorts of music fans and do put on a great show. They could mix it up a bit and have all sort of demographics cateered for on the day

Advertisement