Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Castle Future gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Marley Park was a year after the did a show in the Point, may have impacted attendance. I know I wasn't bothered seeing them twice in a year.

Yeah and apart from it being an outdoor venue with a couple of songs changed, the Marlay Park show in July 2018 was the same show as November 2017. Not that I'm complaining given that I'd never thought I'd get the opportunity to see Queen play live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Just because its a unique setting doesnt make it a good setting. I went to metallica and the venue is awful. Too many people crammed in, transport was awful and queues were horrendous.

Slane requires additional preplanning, have stayed in, or very close to the town, on 4 out of my 6 visits there over last 20 odd years, takes a bit of organising, but that certainly helped a lot. But what a setting. Its not for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Reformed Oasis..........shudders at the thought!!!!!

Even in the unlikely event they reformed, no chance as they have already played there twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very doubtful going by Liam's latest documentary but then again we thought we would never see Guns N Rose's reform with Slash and Axl in the same band and money is to be made from this

Possibly they might appear on stage together at the Rock N Roll hall of fame. If they get in which I think they will

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fafy wrote: »
    Even in the unlikely event they reformed, no chance as they have already played there twice.
    why "no chance"? do you think they would not agree? the promotors would not take "the risk"?, or mountcharles would not allow it?

Oasis have supported once and headlined once. U2 have supported once, headlined 2 years, one of those playing 2 gigs. They must be really unlikely using your logic. How on earth did they ever get the second headline gig, and 2 in that year!!!?

I am absolutely making NO comment about the likelihood of them reforming, just puzzled why an act would be ruled out having headlined once before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Be very surprised if the two Gallagher brothers wouldn't throttle each other if they were in a mile of each other. Lot of dirty water under the bridge now some nasty Twitter comments even about Noel's wife and children from Liam. Never say never but in the current climate I'd say never lol. From a big fan myself I think Liam Gallagher comes across as someone you can only take so much of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I've never understood all the talk about an Oasis reunion, they still basically exist, you just have to go to 2 concerts to see them instead of 1, it would be different if the other band members were iconic but they aren't, as far as I know the drummer/bassist weren't even the original line members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At the moment it seems really unlikely. They have both forged pretty successful solo careers and they seem to be enjoying themselves. It’s not like they’re ever going to need the money either. They were rarely a good live band anyway.

• Advertisement

Seeing liam for the first time on Sunday and saw Noel and the HFB twice doing support slots (Croke Park 2012/2017) and liked them as they done more oasis stuff than original material

Would love too see them together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

rubadub wrote: »
    why "no chance"? do you think they would not agree? the promotors would not take "the risk"?, or mountcharles would not allow it?

Oasis have supported once and headlined once. U2 have supported once, headlined 2 years, one of those playing 2 gigs. They must be really unlikely using your logic. How on earth did they ever get the second headline gig, and 2 in that year!!!?

I am absolutely making NO comment about the likelihood of them reforming, just puzzled why an act would be ruled out having headlined once before.

Just had a google there. That Slane was Oasis headlining with Prodigy and Kasabian supporting. I wasn't there, but I'd say that was some 4 hours entertainment. If only I could turn back time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just had a google there. That Slane was Oasis headlining with Prodigy and Kasabian supporting. I wasn't there, but I'd say that was some 4 hours entertainment. If only I could turn back time.

As someone who was there I can wholeheartedly say it was epic. Getting home... not so much.

Actually preferred Oasis in The Point though tbh, but the supporting acts weren't as good. Ian Brown and his harmonica nearly had the crowd rioting in The Point :pac:

U2 have supported once, headlined 2 years, one of those playing 2 gigs. .

They headlined only once in 2001, and played two gigs that year, on two consecutive weekends.

Stones & G & R, are the only bands to headline in different years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pearl Jam supported by Faith No More and Janes Addiction would be my ideal Slane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

How about scrapping it as a venue? Transport links are dreadful and woe betide if it rains.
    People let nostalgia get the better of them. It's not that great a location.

One of the best venues in Europe when you get over the transport to and fro which is no bother with Dublin bus. Ive been there 6 times. Was at Metallica and slane looks very well compared to the tin pot shiny footie stadiums they have played since slane totally stands out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

AC/DC is the only thing could get me anywhere near it. I thought they were done though, or at least Johnson was done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Good chance acdc be touring next summer if they are I can see them doing slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mean gene wrote: »
    Good chance acdc be touring next summer if they are I can see them doing slane

If I had a Euro for every time I heard that......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

If I had a Euro for every time I heard that......

...you would have a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fafy wrote: »
    They headlined only once in 2001, and played two gigs that year, on two consecutive weekends.

Stones & G & R, are the only bands to headline in different years.
    I stand corrected, the wiki page strangely has them headlining in 1983 even though that "slane concert" took part in phoenix park!!!

really weird they have other comments "confirming" it
    Guns N' Roses, the Rolling Stones and U2 are the only bands to have headlined the event more than once, and U2 have played twice in one year.

Anyway, the point still stands, it is odd logic to think oasis would be ruled out solely because they have headlined before (again ignoring any likelihood of them reforming)

http://www.castleparkslane.com/history_1983.html
    August 14, 1983: U2 were set to play their first ever headline gig at Slane Castle, after playing as a supporting act in 1981. However, Slane Castle was refused planning permission to hold U2’s War Tour and the concert was relocated to the Phoenix Park Racecourse in Dublin.

I stand corrected, the wiki page strangely has them headlining in 1983 even though that "slane concert" took part in phoenix park!!!

really weird they have other comments "confirming" it

In case you didn’t know, wiki is notoriously unreliable, because any Joe Soap can edit the pages, and enter false or inaccurate data. Its on the “details” its unreliability is highlighted, its effectively unregulated/unmoderated, a bit like Trip advisor, where there is no requirement to have actually stayed at the hotel, or eat in the restaurant, to put up a review. i have come across inaccuracies on wiki time and time again, so i stopped using it years ago.

Yes, your right, its possible Oasis could
    Play there again, not withstanding they have split up and have not spoken in years, but its less likely even if they did miraculously reform,, i’d say we would be looking at Croke Park, as they have played Slane on two occasions already, (been there done hat) and in the event of a miracle reform, would mean they could actually fill a few stadiums around the country, i am not denying their popularity, far from it, just that Slane is not likely, when they could do multi stadium gigs around the country, which would be the case due to the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Were Green Day due to play there about 10 years ago and it got cancelled or was I dreaming? I had young children at the time and was living under a rock for a few years.

was it cancelled due to poor ticket sales? I saw them in RHK in 2017 and it was a great gig but I don't think they even sold out that one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

julyjane wrote: »
    Were Green Day due to play there about 10 years ago and it got cancelled or was I dreaming? I had young children at the time and was living under a rock for a few years.

was it cancelled due to poor ticket sales? I saw them in RHK in 2017 and it was a great gig but I don't think they even sold out that one

Not as far as I know, may have been rumours about 06 after American idiot, but I heard nothing about slane..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

A reformed Pink Floyd is about all that could get me to brave slane again apart from that that no large rock/metal act is a big enough pull for me to bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

julyjane wrote: »
    I saw them in RHK in 2017 and it was a great gig but I don't think they even sold out that one

That was a strange one, initially said it was as I knew people trying to get tickets even though they were playing Belfast too, tickets suspiciously came back on sale weeks leading up to it and day of the show was clearly not sold out even so a healthy crowd at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Slane is an MCD/Live Nation venue.

Springsteen won't be playing there unless he gives up the Aiken connection.

As to whoever plays, it'll be whoever MCD want to put there instead of Croker. Obvious first thoughts: Coldplay, Beyonce, U2 or Ed Sheeran, although Sheeran can sell out 2 nights in Croker, so maybe somewhere else than an instant Slane sell out for him. U2 would probably still sell it out pretty rapidly too.

Metallica were always Aiken. How did that deal get worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Would love to see Muse headline slane

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Metallica were always Aiken. How did that deal get worked out?

Im pretty sure the both Marlay park gigs were MCD

• Advertisement

Still think Pearl Jam as headliners in 2020 or 2021

They haven't played Ireland as a band in years and they are pretty popular (Vedders solo show tonight is almost sold out).

Advertisement