Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

implant

• 19-06-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy implants without getting the dentist to do it. I would be going to the dentist afterwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy implants without getting the dentist to do it. I would be going to the dentist afterwards

Why would you want to buy an implant??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭cena

Why would you want to buy an implant??:confused:
    Try to cut cost down

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Try to cut cost down

How would that cut costs? Aren't implants tailored to your jaw/gum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Try to cut cost down

Good luck with that:D.

Try to cut cost down

I don't understand why that would cut the cost...!

And even if it did, what implant make/type/size/angle/surface do you need for your specific site in your mouth??

I currently have about 200 implants in stock in about 20/30 different configurations. I have a good idea what implant I will use for a particular job but only am certain whilst preparing the site for that implant...

This route will not cut costs for you.

If someone brought me an implant, I would not place it for them, I'm not a parts fitter... The actual implant is only a small portion of the costs of the job. Really you are paying for the skill, training, time and risk that the operator takes in doing this job for you...

Good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭cena

I don't understand why that would cut the cost...!

And even if it did, what implant make/type/size/angle/surface do you need for your specific site in your mouth??

I currently have about 200 implants in stock in about 20/30 different configurations. I have a good idea what implant I will use for a particular job but only am certain whilst preparing the site for that implant...

This route will not cut costs for you.

If someone brought me an implant, I would not place it for them, I'm not a parts fitter... The actual implant is only a small portion of the costs of the job. Really you are paying for the skill, training, time and risk that the operator takes in doing this job for you...

Good luck...

more of a curious question. what if you have a medical card had get a referral from the gp to go poland etc. Would hse pickup the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

more of a curious question. what if you have a medical card had get a referral from the gp to go poland etc. Would hse pickup the bill

Very doubtful. Time was when a patient wanted treatment in UK, the HSE would only assist if a consultant vouched that there was no similar treatment available in Ireland. And with the HSE in dire straits financially, I doubt they would agree to pay a Polish dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why would you go to a GP about a dental implant? how would a GP even start to refer you to Poland?? the thing is, you don't NEED an implant, you might WANT it. the HSE is a needs based system, and if you have a gap that needs to be filled, they will just cover the cheapest option for them, which is a denture.

Do you think if I arrived at the Rolex plant with a €1000 worth of gold that they’d make me an expensive watch for a saving or at all??
    Not likely...

The hse will not routinely pick up the bill for implant treatments, you buying one of the components won’t change this...

The dentist can buy this component as a tax
    Allowable expense, you can’t so actually it would end up more expensive overall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I turned up to a restaurant with a sack full of ingredients I got in tesco, last week and asked them to cook them for me (I dont know about cooking but picked up whatever was on sale and near expiration date...canny buyer me).

Of course the chef had no issues with that and made me my meal for half the usual fee. It didnt taste very nice, but when I complained they wouldnt listen to me...when I had to pay the bill I gave them my food stamps and for some reason they wouldnt take those either....its a strange world.

• Advertisement

Op there are many considerations when having an implant placed, one of the most important is that the implant fits the bone, not the other way around. If you purchase an implant which is too long, wide or unsuitable for the area you wish to have it placed, you will be hundreds of Euro out of pocket for the cost of the implant and the failed surgery.

Also, you would have to consider that as you supplied the implant, your warranty would lie with whoever you purchased it from, rather than with the Clinic where you had it placed, you would of course be charged again to have it removed if it failed.

You also have to bare in mind that different implants required different tools/equipment to place and restore, so you will either have to find a Clinic who use that brand of implant, or also provide the drivers and screws to fit and restore.

Lastly, if you buy a cheaper, less widely used brand, it may be difficult to source a Lab to make a crown to fit the implant. We find this with generic/obscure implants placed in Eastern Europe/Asia, finding the right drivers to fit the implants can be difficult, we have had to have them sent over by the Clinic who placed the implants at the patients expense.

As OS posted, the price you pay includes more than just the cost price of the implant, the Clinic has to stand over the implant they use, if you provide it, it’s your baby.

Advertisement