Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise while pedaling

Options
  • 19-06-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

I've had a specialized langster since 2009, it's run like a dream with zero professional services since then as my daily driver, across three continents!

Recently I've noticed an inconsistent sound when pedaling, it happens when I start off, but not necessarily with every heavy down pedal when climbing. Sometimes I hear it on flat sections of road.

The best way I can describe the sound is like a spring from a wind up toy. I'm wondering if it's something anyone had experienced before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jebidiah wrote:
    I've had a specialized langster since 2009, it's run like a dream with zero professional services since then as my daily driver, across three continents!

Bikes should be regularly serviced, do you do this yourself?

Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue of your problem, but it could be your bottom bracket going

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Bottom bracket or free wheel cog at a guess if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Bikes should be regularly serviced, do you do this yourself?

Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue of your problem, but it could be your bottom bracket going

I look after the bike myself but the most maintenance I've done on it is change tyres and chain a few times. It's probably due a bit of love

whodafunk wrote: »
    Bottom bracket or free wheel cog at a guess if you have one

It seems to come from the crank area rather than the rear, but I do use a free wheel hub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check for any play or looseness in the cranks, as mentioned above the bottom bracket could be worn.
    however, frames can transmit noise so often the sound may be originating from somewhere different that it appears by ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

jebidiah wrote:
    I look after the bike myself but the most maintenance I've done on it is change tyres and chain a few times. It's probably due a bit of love

You've had the same bottom bracket since 2009? I have a Langster too and change the bottom bracket every 12-18 months! That's where I'd start and then as somebody suggested the freewheel if you have one! Not much else on a Langster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Sound can come from anywhere. Know someone recently was plagued by an annoying sound that he was convinced was coming from his bottom bracket.

Turned out to be his bike helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

bearings in the pedals is another one, had a creaking sound not on every pedal stroke and actually only on longer cycles, eventually tracked it down to one of the pedals, got a tool to open the pedal and grease the bearings, no more creak ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

woody1 wrote:
    bearings in the pedals is another one, had a creaking sound not on every pedal stroke and actually only on longer cycles, eventually tracked it down to one of the pedals, got a tool to open the pedal and grease the bearings, no more creak ..

This has happened me before, forgot about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

C3PO wrote: »
    You've had the same bottom bracket since 2009? I have a Langster too and change the bottom bracket every 12-18 months! That's where I'd start and then as somebody suggested the freewheel if you have one! Not much else on a Langster!

Wow that's sounds excessive. I'm not familiar with the Langster (pics show it as a single speed) but is the bottom bracket particularly poor in them or something that it needs replacing so often. I've probably over 50k km on my bottom bracket at this stage and it's still smooth with zero play but older mountain bikes that had square taper axels, cups and bearings needed regularly servicing and replacement parts.

• Advertisement

Wow that's sounds excessive. I'm not familiar with the Langster (pics show it as a single speed) but is the bottom bracket particularly poor in them or something that it needs replacing so often. I've probably over 50k km on my bottom bracket at this stage and it's still smooth with zero play but older mountain bikes that had square taper axels, cups and bearings needed regularly servicing and replacement parts.

I do about 7,500kms a year on it - daily commute in all weathers! Maybe I get 24 months out of it but it gets very rough towards the end! It's a square taper.

Yep everything on it is original too. Except the saddle and seat post. Stolen day one in New York!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Annoying BB/ Pedal noise turned out to be the cleats for me (if you use them).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jebidiah wrote: »
    Yep everything on it is original too. Except the saddle and seat post. Stolen day one in New York!

Its definitely worth the 30 odd quid for a new BB at this point, you've got your moneys worth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I do about 7,500kms a year on it - daily commute in all weathers! Maybe I get 24 months out of it but it gets very rough towards the end! It's a square taper.
    Is it Shimano UN or a different brand? Other brands have failed after a few 1000km for me but the Shimano ones seem to go for longer than the bike. Less than 30euro as well, not the lightest but about as close to immortal as I could imagine for a bike part. Pretty much every long distance tourer I have met or talked too swears by them as they will get you around the world, a few times. The longest I have gotten has been 20k without issue and then sold the bike.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is it Shimano UN or a different brand? Other brands have failed after a few 1000km for me but the Shimano ones seem to go for longer than the bike. Less than 30euro as well, not the lightest but about as close to immortal as I could imagine for a bike part. Pretty much every long distance tourer I have met or talked too swears by them as they will get you around the world, a few times. The longest I have gotten has been 20k without issue and then sold the bike.

I don’t know tbh - it’s about the only thing I don’t do on the bike - can’t figure out the square taper!! Must ask the lbs to get Shimano next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A recent creak I had turned out to be dry jockey wheels on the RD. I discovered it after changing the BB (one of the bearings was rough to spin) stripping the rear wheel and clean/lubing, removing the chain, degreasing it and inspecting every single link and refitting. Removing and cleaning every nut/bolt in seat post, saddle, stem etc Cleaning and greasing QR’s, cleaning and oiling pedals, removing and cleaning cleats.

From cycling today the noise is getting worse. I noticed it when I was coasting on a quieter street. Had a listen and I think it's the rear hub. My wheel doesn't spin freely when I turn it over onto saddle. Seems like it's seizing up.

Are there any guides on how to fix that myself or should I just bring her in for some TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jebidiah wrote: »
    From cycling today the noise is getting worse. I noticed it when I was coasting on a quieter street. Had a listen and I think it's the rear hub. My wheel doesn't spin freely when I turn it over onto saddle. Seems like it's seizing up.

Are there any guides on how to fix that myself or should I just bring her in for some TLC.

How handy are you generally fixing/repairing bikes? If you search on YouTube for servicing of what make/model wheels you have and judge from it if you could do it yourself. However, if the bearings are seized and need replacing it might be best getting your LBS to do it. Fitting bearings is quite easy, getting the old ones out can be tricky especially if they’re in there a long time and corrosion/rust has set in.

Dropped bike off at LBS. New bottom bracket and some replacement parts for the rear hub.

Rear axle bearings we're cracked and had completely seized up. Cycling like a brand new bike!

Will put a few Bob away for the next few months and get a new set of of wheels if anything status to go south with the rear hub.

I also may have found the source of months of arch pain... The effort required to get the bike going from a start is completely different now to how it has been for a long time (recent sudden degradation not included). Much easier and a lot less force required to get her moving from a dead stop or even just a slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Two of my current bikes have the original bottom brackets, both from ten years ago, and the most recent bike, three years old, also has its original bottom bracket. They seem fine. Two of the bikes have front mudflaps, and the other is a cargo bike so spray from the front wheel can't reach the bottom bracket. I presume that helps. Or else I'm too insensitive to notice how bad the bottom brackets have become.

Advertisement